Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: According to American McGee, the Wii is the ONLY Next-Gen Console.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Next-gen DOES just mean a hardware upgrade though. Whether new stuff comes with it in terms of control systems or whatever doesn't make it any more or less next-gen. The X-Box, PS2, and GC were all more powerful - and little else - than the DC, PS1, and N64, and now we all quite blithely consider those to have been the next gen. It's not even up for question that the PS2 wasn't a next-gen console, because it clearly was.

I think he means 'innovative', which has nothing to do with next gen, but the latter is likely a more powerful statement.

I can see what he means, and I kinda agree that the PS3 and X-box 360 are sort of just upgrades whereas the Wii has actually brought something innovative to the bussiness - instead of focusing on graphics they focus more on gameplay.

Consuming the internets stuffing's Avatar

Nintendo is the only company with the guts to try something new.

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I am curious if this increase in horsepower will give us new types of games, just like the move to the PS2 and XBox gave us games like GTA III.
    Figaro Castle

Quote Originally Posted by Bantam View Post
    But now you're into a discussion of what makes a game system "next generation":
    Ok.

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/08/15/mc...xt-gen-is-wii/
    Eurogamer quotes game designer American McGee in an upcoming interview by CVG as saying, "The only truly next-gen console out there is the Wii. Everything else is just a video card and processor upgrade."

McGee, whose next game Bad Day LA hits the Xbox and PC in a few months, says Nintendo will "capture the hearts" of gamers while "Microsoft and Sony stab each other in the neck" as they compete over market share.
    This is nothing more then the usual BS and propaganda that has gone on anytime there is competition for any limited market. All Next-Generation means is that it is the next one out. Nothing more nothing less. These are the same people who claimed that disk based systems would go nowhere. As such I cannot take such blatent propaganda and vitriol seriously.

You want to talk about guts? Try seting yourself up as the new standard and pricing a product hundreds of dollars above the next competitors. Now that takes guts!

Until all three consoles are out on the market we are going to see and hear endless soundbites about how one system rocks over all others and how the ones yet to be released cannot compete. It's nothing more then them trying to convince the customer because if they succeed, true or not, they win.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bantam View Post
    But now you're into a discussion of what makes a game system "next generation":
    Ok.

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/08/15/mc...xt-gen-is-wii/
    Eurogamer quotes game designer American McGee in an upcoming interview by CVG as saying, "The only truly next-gen console out there is the Wii. Everything else is just a video card and processor upgrade."

McGee, whose next game Bad Day LA hits the Xbox and PC in a few months, says Nintendo will "capture the hearts" of gamers while "Microsoft and Sony stab each other in the neck" as they compete over market share.
    You do realize that we're talking about that article you linked too, correct? Check the first post and thread title.
    Figaro Castle

Uh... yeah. That's the reason I reposted the part of it I was directly responding to.

"The only truly next-gen console out there is the Wii. Everything else is just a video card and processor upgrade."
    Which is exactly what every gaming console for the last 30 years has been... a flashy remote whose credibility as a intuitive, pratical imput device isn't an established fact, nor will it be until it's actually out there on the shelves and people are able to test it...

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan
    You've obviously never played Alice.
    I have. It's a game that has an interesting look, without any strong gaming mechanic to hold the whole thing together, which is essentially what the majority of American McGee's game have always been... Bad Day L.A. being the most recent example of that.

Honestly, if he gave up on the interactive market and stuck to more passive forms of entertainment (animation and the such), the guy would probably do a lot better for himself.
    Last edited by Vincent Valentine; 08-16-2006 at 07:10 PM.
    -"If she's happy then... I don't mind."

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna View Post
    Uh... yeah. That's the reason I reposted the part of it I was directly responding to.
    Okay, makes sense. I thought you were posting further evidence or something.
    Figaro Castle

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Arrianna, would you kindly stop being so insightful and accurate? It's somewhat disconcerting to have a sane person around here.

Blog Entries

Which is exactly what every gaming console for the last 30 years has been... a flashy remote whose credibility as a intuitive, pratical imput device isn't an established fact, nor will it be until it's actually out there on the shelves and people are able to test it...
    I'd have to disagree. From SNES to N64, the way we played games changed foreva. Of course, that's the only one I can mention, because I'm a stupid youngling.

According to everyone, American McGee's opinion means nothing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dreddz View Post
    According to everyone, everyone's opinion means nothing.
    Fix'd. n_n

Is he seriously called American McGee?
    Christ, no wonder his brain isn't working properly. He probably suffered deep psychological damage due to growing up with the torment of having the same name as the collective people of a country.

Capisce.

ThanksToToodleenaFMMS

Quote Originally Posted by Kentarou View Post
    From SNES to N64, the way we played games changed foreva.
    How exactly? If I may be so bold as to ask.
    -"If she's happy then... I don't mind."