Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: According to American McGee, the Wii is the ONLY Next-Gen Console.

Blog Entries

The jump to 3D.

Quote Originally Posted by Kentarou View Post
    The jump to 3D.
    3D was around before the N64 came about, but it's definately true that the machine had something of a profound impact in that respect. I don't think you can compare the Wii Remote to the 3D revolution though.

For instance... the Nintendo DS may be a wonderful little machine, and it may have given something fresh and new to the gaming industry (and to gamers), but one could hardly call it revolutionary.

It's the games that make a machine worth buying. American McGee can't say it's truly "next-gen" purely because of a few of the machine's unique features.
    -"If she's happy then... I don't mind."

Blog Entries

Well yeah, I know that. But it was more than just a graphics update, even if it did look graphically better.

Grimoire of the Sages ShunNakamura's Avatar

From SNES to N64, the way we played games changed foreva.
    Most certianly... For some reason I couldn't stand the N64 and since then I have been wary of newer nintendo systems. Also that is what pushed me to the PS.

STILL Updating the anime list. . . I didn't think I was that much of an anime freak! I don't even want to consider updating the manga list!

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Kentarou View Post
    The jump to 3D.
    Because that wasn't done by the PS1 and Sega Saturn a good couple of years before the N64.

Blog Entries

I know THAT. But by from SNES to N64, I mean like, systems that came in between those two. But since it's a common mis-conception that the N64 is the first console to use 3D, I can understand the mis-understanding.

it's not fun, don't do it Moon Rabbits's Avatar

From the hands of American McGee himself:

Quote Originally Posted by American McGee
    First off, you guys take your meds. Calm down.

I stand by my remark, but I can understand why so many people are taking exception to it. It seems that most people picked up only on my "Wii is the true next gen" comment, and nothing else that I said.

My point isn't just about the Nintendo hardware. It has to do with the production model, the creative focus, the positioning, and a lot more to boot. I guess the easiest way for me to explain it would be: Are two bigger, faster, more complicated rockets "next-gen" when compared to something like Space-Ship One? I think the fact that Nintendo is going so far out on a limb, and in a direction that focuses on delivering an innovative game play experience, to a wider market, makes them more "next-gen" than the others.

This might just come down to a difference of opinion (and a valid one) about what constitutes a "game system". Nintendo's focus is clearly on toy-like game play, accessible to everyone, marketed to everyone. Sony and Microsoft are trying to shove all the wiz-bang of a $100 million Hollywood blockbuster movie into a gaming console - and they're marketing to a strictly hard-core audience. Both models have their merit. But when it comes time for ME to decide which machine is going to sit front and center in my home, for my friends to play with, it's going to be a Wii.

It's "narrow-gen" vs. "next-gen". Sony and Microsoft, narrowing their focus on hard-core gamers. Nintendo, bringing gaming to the masses. I prefer what Nintendo's doing. That simple.

I'm mailing electrocution to all of you who posted in the "Ask American" section, btw.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Right.

The most succesful console franchise of the past decade is narrowing its vision and appealing to a hardcore market.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF View Post
    Arrianna, would you kindly stop being so insightful and accurate? It's somewhat disconcerting to have a sane person around here.
    You're welcome.

Evidently round two of "we're better then yoouuu.." just started. :laugh: