View Poll Results: Strategem? Attack oriented or Magic oriented?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Attack Power

2 14.29%
  • Magic Power

0 0%
  • A mixture of the two

12 85.71%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attack Power / Magic Power

I have one of these now Nominus Experse's Avatar

Dancing Chocobo Attack Power / Magic Power

What do you find the most useful, magical or physical oriented attacks?

What I mean by this is do you prefer using magic (Black, Blue, Summon, etc) compared to the much more physical oriented attacks and skills (Aim, Hunt, Technique, etc)?

Granted, there are many time to where the two overlap, but there are some definate qualities that speak of the A-Ability being considered magical or physical in nature.

Perhaps a better method of stating my question would be to ask if you find yourself using/abusing your Magic Power stat more or your Attack Power more?

I am simply curious due to the fact that I find myself using a wide variety of these, commonly finding myself abusing any of the Corner, Sniper, Summon, Blue Magic, Red Magic, Hunt, and/or Chivalry. Really, that doesn't define anything, and just leads me to think that I use a mixture of basing my strategies on using both Magic Power and Attack Power in tandem. I think I rely more on brute Attack Power when i am playing a lazy mission or game, but then opt to increase the speed and strategy of a fight by incorporating Magic in there also.

I just wondered if anyone primarily used Attack Power oriented abilities instead of Magic Power oriented ones, or visa versa.

So, what do you commonly do or any thoughts on what may be the better?

NOTE - Let us exclude Ultima in this discussion.

Touché,Threeché,SPAMATION Monster Hunt's Avatar

I like both equally... if i'm fighting the Blue Geniuses then it's physical and if it's the Yellow Powerz then it's my magical people...

I always think that you should keep a mixture though... otherwise you'd have a very hard time some point in the game... that's why I like Paladins, Assassins, Blue Mage and such.

But I suppose in the end I probably have more physical people- You gotta love ninjas, hunters, Gladiators, Dragoons, Morphers, Gunners and such...
    was all like to who was acctually feeling due to the fact that :oscar: & :frylock: couldn't go to his b'day party. patted him on the back and :mog: said there's always next year. felt more , felt , but :moose: (who knows when (as the person he is) he came in) was more of a . :magus: jumped in and told that no one really likes him. BROKEN ran everyone over with a :sophia:. So lived happily ever after, especially after he had with :rsl:
    The end!

66% of sig statistics are fake- and so is this one.

The giver of *hugs* boys from the dwarf's Avatar

i tend to have more physical fighters than magical. i often have 4 fighters and two spellcasters. one spellcaster for healing and the other for offensive magic. i usually find the spellcasters more useful though. high level spells can do over 100 damage to multiple targets and can dramtically weaken loads of targets which can then be easily k.oed by a fighters attack. ill vote for a combination of the two because without my mages my fighters wouldnt be doing too good. also haste is a very useful spell.

sage/alchemist is one of the best combinations on the game because they have the death spell as well as other high level spells which can match the power of a black mage. and raise is great because it revives everyone in the targetting area as well as restoring large amounts of HP to k.oed and conscious units.

and for physical. gladiator/dragoon is possibly the best. long range attacks as well as insane power and bonecrusher with a spear and 2 space range is just plain powerful. if i had a party of 3 gladiator/dragoons. 2 sage/alchemist and a whitemage/time mage (for healing before the sages learn raise.) i would storm through the game unopposed by nearly any enemy.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr3x_RRJdd4
    ...*holds up free hugs sign.*

a mixture is best but its sometimes fun to just use one of em and forbid yourself the other (if the law doesnt already does that)
    Too big. <-- yeah i heard that one before

I usually use Rockseal and Last Breath, which don't rely on either. Rockseal looks so cool...
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

if we are discounting Ultima, then i follow the attack path with a gladiator/templar and a dragoon/defender. They kill stuff really fast and good.
    The Unending Swarm, Hive Fleets Behemoth, Kraken, And Leviathan, And The Countless Others Drifting In The Void Are Only The Beginning Of The End For The Imperials. Their Arrogance, Their Taint Upon The Multiverse, And The Fall Of Their False God, The Emperor, Are All Coming Far Sooner Than They Would Ever Expect. Let The Tyranids, Truly Superior Beings, Bring Their Doom. Let Them Find Their Doom In The Form Of Clawed Talons And Serrated Teeth. The Fools Shan't Be Missed.

Which FF Character Are You?

I have one of these now Nominus Experse's Avatar

Skyblade, you seem to play the game quite similiar to how I play it:

A brutal strategy abusing speed and instant death, high, hard hitting magic (Summon/Blue/etc), and if swift kills are not an immediate option, the crippling of the enemy is tantamount to your strategy through various skills and magics.

I don't know if that's exactly how you go about it, but from what I gather, you and I both find ourselves abusing the greatness found in Assassins.

Plus, long rabbit ears are sexy.

yeah, you guys like the assassins. I got bored of my four. one is part sniper, one is part fencer, one is part elementalist, and one is part white-mage. they are a kill-squad, but I have a better one. It involves huge melee damage from my aforementioned Templar/Gladiator, big damage and a terminator-effect* from my Dragoon/Defender, An extreme support and still high-damage role from my Juggler/Animist or Juggler/Thief (depends on my mood), and my Hunter/Blue Mage is cleanup for anything that the others leave standing. I have my Assassin/Sniper ready if it is a 6-man map, but I prefer to take only a few people so the field isn't cluttered with people and bodies.

*terminator effect: he never dies. Between Aura and Dragonheart, he cannot be killed, and he's immune to most status effects, so he just rolls over the opponents like a T-series robot would if you handed it a greadsword or a huge spear.
    The Unending Swarm, Hive Fleets Behemoth, Kraken, And Leviathan, And The Countless Others Drifting In The Void Are Only The Beginning Of The End For The Imperials. Their Arrogance, Their Taint Upon The Multiverse, And The Fall Of Their False God, The Emperor, Are All Coming Far Sooner Than They Would Ever Expect. Let The Tyranids, Truly Superior Beings, Bring Their Doom. Let Them Find Their Doom In The Form Of Clawed Talons And Serrated Teeth. The Fools Shan't Be Missed.

I like a good mix. Uber Black Mage Rickman with uber Time/White Mage Sharu, mixed with my Dragoon Pablo and Marche the Paladin.

I gave up on Marche when he got to lv 47. Not a cool enough character for me to use. I like the people who actually look like they are supposed to.

i'd rather have both. i can't have a battle without mages, or a battle without melee units. sometimes i prefer magic, since i find their usefulness in that they can hit multiple enemies without having to take multiple steps. well, the Feather Boots seem to have balanced the two out again...

pinchpinchpinchpinchpinch ScottNUMBERS's Avatar

whether I use Magic or Physical power is dependant upon my foes.

Missions...

Gilbert:
    Paladin/Blue Mage
    Double Sword (Nagrarok, Sequence)
    Peytral
    Ninja Tabi

I just send him on his own. If the enemy is any sort of a threat (Which isn't very often at all) I use Angel Whisper and Mighty Guard, if not I mindlessly attack everything until I win.

Vs. Undead...

Eldena:
    Red Mage/Summoner

There is no better way to defeat undead than Doublecast Phoenix.

Vs. a friend in two player battles...

Alot like me, my friends love to play FFTA, we set up Tournements from time to time, In this situation I use a Viera Red Mage/White Mage. For player Vs player duals Red Mage/White Mage cannot be beaten if used correctly. If anyone can come up with a scenario where my Red Mage/White Mage can be beaten by another class I'll be very impressed.

Because of the Red mage/White Mage combination Physical power can never be as good as magic, but I love the ol' Double Sword Paladin that I find myself using way more often.

Conclusion
    Useful: Magic
    Favorate: Physical

prepare to be impressed. Once you are sufficiently prepared, look over a few threads at the "3 best units" thread. Check out Lunais. Then, we set the conditions to the fight. You can start 20 panels away, on a flat field with no terrain in the way, with no height, and nothing but these two units. 20 panels away just to give you time to cast auto-raise on yourself and to run to the nearest corner, where you will be summarily beaten and killed in a painful way. You might manage to hurt him, but even if I can't make it totally to you, I have a 4 -panel range area attack that damages MP, which will let me get some real damage on you, since so long as you have MP I am guessing that you will not go down... but then again, 999 damage can really get you to take a nap...

iirc the redwhite mage poseses auto life take that in acount and a red mage is very anoying in one on one battle use failed to take his character in your battle. i have read your character but unles it is imume to sleep your smurfed

first turn

ofensive magic
    sleep

second turn

ofensive magic
    sleep

etc. etc.

youl be beaten in no time.

although your character is good i admit but against a redmage/whitemage combo i dont see him winning.

i think i have a few more powerfull combinations against your char but cant be bothered to look it up now, anime awaits
    Too big. <-- yeah i heard that one before

More attack but i need my mages for area attacks and healing. While just tanking with my melee.
    "Swordchucks Yo." - Fighter

"Every time I cast Hadoken it siphons a little bit of love out of the world to create a massive destructive explosions. They say the divorce rate goes up with each cast." - BM

How many swords could sword chucks chuck if sword chucks could chuck swords? Same goes with Nuns! :rolleyes2

"I cast Ice-9!" -RM

"I can steal stuff that isn't even there" -Thief (Yet he can't steal in the game)