Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: DRK and DRG: Why?

Default DRK and DRG: Why?

I'm curious what makes so many new players want to play these two jobs. It seems that anyone who is interested in one is often interested in the other as well. I noticed many posts on many boards that show this desire and have noticed a lot here as well. I figured there would be a decent number of people here that might be able to help me understand this.

I know that Cecil and Kain were cool guys and all that, but why doesn't everyone want to become a PLD right off the bat because of Cecil? Sure, DRG is cool with its wyvern and all... I can see that. But what makes so many that like DRG be attracted also to DRK? Why do the two jobs that are the black sheep of the FFXI community draw so much mutual attention from a certain demographic of players?

pinchpinchpinchpinchpinch ScottNUMBERS's Avatar

For Dark Knight I think it's the whole "Badass" image that attracts newer players, and for Dragoon it's the Wyvern. I also notice this, and when players decide they want these Jobs it's usually before they start the game, so it can't be too much to do with function more than it is image. That's my only theory.

Oh and maybe because of the Armour, which I must admit looks rather Awesome.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Cool armor.

I wanna do Drk, it looks like alot of fun (i just love melee jobs that employ magic ) I also want to do Pld really bad for reasons already stated but i don't feel the attraction to Drg ... having a pet is cool but thats why i love Bst and Smn ! (Esp. SMN !!!)

***Edit***
    I have noticed a lot of people playing Drk, Nin , and Thf is on the rise again >.< this is Garuda Server ... i haven't really heard alot of people playing drg lately that sorta ebbed ... but it may come back and i think the armor is really cool looking !
    Chuck Noblet: Can anyone tell me the tragic irony of the Trojan War? Tina? Tina: Um, that horses are friendly creatures yet a hollow, wooden one was used to destroy Troy? Chuck Noblet: Wrong and no. Anyone else? Chip? Chip: That the mighty warrior Achilles was killed by a small cut to his ankle. Chuck Noblet: Chip is wronger. OK, here it is. The tragic irony of the Trojan War is that though it was fought over Helen, who was young and beautiful, by the time they rescued her ten years later, she was old and ugly. Tina: But wasn't recovering the king's wife reward enough for the Greeks? Chuck Noblet: Tina, an ugly woman is never a reward.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Dragoons have been a historical job in the Final Fantasy games, add a dragon pet and cool armor to that and I can see why a lot of players want to be one.

I'm sure Dark Knight attracts some of the darker brooding personalities out there, and with teenagers as your main demographic there are a lot of them.

Plus they do a lot of damage and I can see how more people would want to kill kill kill with their weapons than take damage/heal/support/nuke.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Simply because of the armor sometimes. DRG AF is appealing strangely to many people because its purple even though i am reminded of the Jade look Kain has in FFIV. I know a friend of mine wanted to be a DRG just by looking at the AF Armor and it appealed to him. As for DRKs, they hold very badass weapons, a Great Sword is like a Buster Sword, and a Scythe is like the symbol of Death, it is very badass lets just say. And for doing lots of damage easily multiplies the badass factor even more.

Although personally DRG appeals to be because i can Jump/Super Jump and to a lesser degree have a pet that will follow me and be my companion.

IMO theres nothing wrong with these jobs, in the end there will always be sucky soso jobs. I like WHM because its a healer and a pivotable point in a party in any FF(although in FFXi its less so..makes me kinda meh) and i like to help, similarily to PLD.

My Youtube Page - Full of Capcom vs SNK 2 goodness!
    Check it out Nya~! @.@
    貓..貓..Yeh! X3

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

cause spears/scythes are sexier then two handed swords?

DRK's use two-handed swords as well.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by Omecle View Post
    nice to hear :]

they dont look as good on a DRK though. IMO.

Before I started I wanted to be a DRG too. I dont really know why, I just did. Since I started though, I realized the importance of some of the buffing magics (protect, etc) and I have changed my main to become a PLD. I'll eventaully go back and start a DRG but I doubt ill ever start a DRK. As appealing as it sounds doing the most damage in the game (give or take) it just doesnt tickle my fancy. haha
    [leeza]Holy crap! This is 855.22 kb! Our limit is 50. Read the sig restrictions posted above the sig field and PM a Knight/Admin if you do not understand them.[/leeza]

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukasa View Post

But they're better at greatswords than warrior is.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsukasa View Post

But they're better at greatswords than warrior is.
    now that I didnt know.

thanks Mirage !

I'm 16 years old and i gotta say this.

I began playing last year and before I even started i had done ALOT of research and i had come up with 1 job i wanted. Dark Knight. It really is the whole badass image. Seeing them in full AF makes them look like a rogue on a journey to destroy everything in their path. Thats a little look into my Goth mind for you all.

Besides that I too sadly had seen the Dragoon full AF and was instantly reminded of the most awesome character in the history of Final Fantasy... KAIN! Beyond that the wyvern reminded me of the wyvern in FFII and everyone loves that.

So the people that want these jobs more often than not do decide on them before they begin playing. And I've also found that most of them either quit after they get them because it wasnt instantly like what they thought it would be or they just toss it aside like a toy at christmas that sucked.

Thankfully I saw the light and discovered that I should do a job that I know I can do well and after I reach a certain point and have a different look at the two jobs I may pick them up for a few quick levels.

I chose to do Monk cause i can do it and do it well. I am now part of a static party and cant just search for a party anymore so recently I have picked up Dragoon and I must say that now that I know how to use my jobs I can actually enjoy them without the "aura" that I once saw from them.

Just today from 4-1AM, i played my friend's DRK at his house. I must say that DRK with Absorb TP is really awesome. I was fighting crabs in Kuftal and lvled from 53-55 really easily.

I PTed with a SAM, and i must say i was easily able to out-TP him or match him throughout all those hours pretty consistantly. By careful use of Aspir, and Absorb TP, i was able to keep TP near the 80s+ almost always. Even when i was swinging normally and the SAM was too, i was able to outpace the SAM on serveral locations, and if he went pass me, its usually never by much.

With Aspir i was able to keep my TP high, and i spammed it whenever i can. Then at the start of a battle if i have low TP, i whack it twice and use Absorb TP to gain TP. Once i have 100TP i start using Absorb STR and VIT or INT(for MB) for max damage if the SAM doesnt have enough TP. And i would cast an Absorb at the start of a battle if i can while the puller was making its way back to camp therefore not really losing much TP. Power Slashes ranged from 100-500 but mostly 250-300, and alternating buffs per WS. DRK is truly awesome if played right, all i needed was Aspir and the occasional Refresh if i dipped below 10MP for some reason. Otherwise careful MP management and use of buffs/spells make them very strong.

My Youtube Page - Full of Capcom vs SNK 2 goodness!
    Check it out Nya~! @.@
    貓..貓..Yeh! X3

Because they're both high att/low def melee classes who look cool.
    No.