Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I completed it.

on NES i was Fighter /Monk /White Mage/ Black Mage
    DoS i was " / Thief / " / "
    in DoS i think monk is less powerful towards the end of the game. also thief is no longer any good at escaping, but stronger.

+ i preferred the NES magic system of having so many times you can cast spells of a certain level, compared to MP on the GBA version.

i don't know why i am sitting here comparing the versions, but i am, alright?!

'Gabby Hayes' big Bart's Friend Milhouse's Avatar

Don't you feel like you've wasted your time? I beat it at level thirty something
    ...Geddit?

I just got to the class change. Level 11 because I'm lazy and didn't feel like fighting hundreds of Ogres back in Elf Land to go through the Mash Cave(something which I regret doing because it took like 20 tries to get through the Castle of Ordeals). I still need to get through Mt. Gurgu. :rolleyes2
    JOY IS A BITCH, but she is so adorable!
    generated by sloganizer.net
    Kaycee says (12:06 AM):
    whos' obama?

Back from the Abyss ValkyrieWing's Avatar

Hmmm..I'm on lever 75 and I still have 1 Chaos dungeon to go through.
    ~Ye must desire respite from thy empty existence. Thou shalt have it.~

I havent played the GBA version, but I played the NEW/PSX version, I found it easy =/, and if it was harder then the GBA then the GBA version shouldnt take me long. My party was Fighter/Monk/Thief/Red Mage

from my understanding, the PSX version has a normal mode (same difficulty as NES version) and an easy mode.

the GBA version is easier than the NES version, but it is more difficult than the PSX version on easy.

Actually the Normal difficulty level on the PSX is a tad bit harder than the NES.

Congrats on completing it. You ought to try the PSX normal difficulty for a challenge.

A couple of days ago, I just beat FF1 too! But for the PSX. .....And it was on easy. I CAN EXPLAIN

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gyrus View Post
    My party was: Fighter/Fighter/W.Mage/B.Mage
    I see. That's a pretty good party, and also the first party I used to beat the game (on NES). Nowadays, I prefer having more variety, so I try not to use two characters that have the same class.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    from my understanding, the PSX version has a normal mode (same difficulty as NES version) and an easy mode.

the GBA version is easier than the NES version, but it is more difficult than the PSX version on easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Graves View Post
    Actually the Normal difficulty level on the PSX is a tad bit harder than the NES.

Congrats on completing it. You ought to try the PSX normal difficulty for a challenge.
    When I played the beginning of the GBA version, I found it even easier than FFI Origins on Easy. You get from level 1 to level 2 pretty much after the first 2-3 battles on GBA (you'll need a lot more battles to level up even on Origins Easy), and you'll level up really quickly and have 3x Hit even before Marsh Cave, and if things continue that way, you'll get through the game quite easily.

I think WSC and PSX Normal are harder than the NES version despite being more user-friendly since the enemies seem to be a lot more intelligent. Sorcerers just love to paralyze your party and drop them to death in WSC and PSX, and the Ice Cave is a nightmare. You may end up dead before your first turn when 3 Mages ambush your party and cast Fire3 a few times and finish off the survivors with Bane/Poison. The Fiends and the final boss also have double HP.

Being able to use status-healing items during battles in WSC/PSX isn't really an issue since I never use them during battles anyway, and I once played WSC version without the "Auto-Aim" feature (if your targeted enemy dies before you hit it, you'll get "Ineffective") and I didn't find it any harder that way.
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

i prefer the game without auto-aim because you have to think laterally rather than just press attack four times.

also yea the GBA version you level up really quickly at first. it levels off though... and i think quite a few bosses and enemies had more HP added to them than the PSX version.

Quote Originally Posted by mobiletype View Post
    Don't you feel like you've wasted your time? I beat it at level thirty something
    Well leveling doesn't take long with autofire a+evil eye.

While I agree with a few who said they beat chaos at 30... I doubt you beat some of the DoS bosses at 30.. if you did, my hat off to you... I tried Cerberous i think at 35 and he pretty much made all my characters take a dirt nap pretty fast. Course that was when I was still in the sea shrine and had not gotten all the ribbons and good armor yet.

Whisperwind also has random enemies in the 35th screen area that cast flare.... and flare hurts alot in this version.

Congratz though on beating the game.

Surprisingly, i've never beaten it on normal mode, only easy.

Final Fantasy was the only game my dad really enjoyed. He used to play it and I would watch. He must have gone through that game... I dunno, ten or twenty times at least, and each time with a different party. Once was with 3 fighters and a red mage... man that went weird. Expensive too... but it required the least levelling.

I've having a hard time though with this party I've got right now. Level 32 or something, Ninja, Red Wizard, White Wizard, and Black Wizard, and I can't beat Tiamat in the Temple of Fiends.

The game is awesome. Try it on the NES. Or if you don't want to go through the effort, just get it on an Emulator. Thats pretty easy to do. And the game is nearly 20 years old. I don't think Square or Nintendo would be losing any money off of that.
    The project that was awesome, has fallen apart... oh well.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Or save yourself some of the tediousness of the NES version by buying Origins for under $20.