Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I completed it.

Quote Originally Posted by gyrus View Post
    I attempted the NES version when I was younger, never got past the marsh cave.
    Before I ever consulted a walkthrough, that was as far as I'd ever get. In fact, I think on one occasion I DID get the Crown before knowing what to do, but then died.

Since reading a barebones walkthrough of the game and playing by it, I've loved the game to bits and completed each version at least once. (Not counting WSC, but that's the same as PSone on normal mode, right?)

Articles
    Blog Entries

I just beat the same (GBA) version today. I have to say it was MUCH easier than the NES version (I had been playing that and restored the earth orb before starting the DoS).

I have to say that the NES version is alot more difficult and uninteresting due to single text boxes/horrible graphics, so although DoS is almost pathetically easy, I'd still take it for the overall more enjoyable gaming experience.

No offense, but it's really not that big an accomplishment. I beat it with all of my party below level 40, but even then it was fairly easy, and I did it on the normal difficulty on FF Origins (which I'm told is the closest to the original Famicom difficulty). It was more difficult than most other FFs, granted, but still it's not that big an accomplishment. And I assume you did it on the GBA version, given the extra caves you mentioned. The GBA version is supposed to be very easy in comparison to the original NES version, or the normal difficulty on PSX.
    Last edited by Vincent, Thunder God; 10-04-2006 at 02:31 AM. Reason: I just checked my old save... I actually beat it below level 40 instead of 60

Try Completing it only Leveling Up after boss fights. It makes the game alot more difficult and fun, although only in the boss fights, running from every random battle getting there can become very tedious.

Free-range Human Recognized Member Lawr's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx Power
    You haven't played FF1 until you've played the NES/PSX versions. The DoS version is insultingly easy.
    placeholder_text.jpeg

Yes, the NES version is tedious. I know... man do I ever know... but the only part that thats really a problem with is when buying heal potions, and at two locations during levelling up. The battle system is tedious only if you're not willing to play a game. Thats the whole point. It removes the whole "hold the A button" thing, because you have to figure out who you want to focus on so that you take the least damage during the fight. Emulators nearly ruined that for me... but I can still enjoy a game if I want to.

oh yeah, and I agree that you have not played FF1 until you play the NES version. Origins doesn't count unless you've already played the original. Its a fanservice update. There's nothing else to call it. It also makes the game insultingly easy.
    Last edited by Kryton87; 10-05-2006 at 07:15 AM. Reason: nearly forgot to mention...
    The project that was awesome, has fallen apart... oh well.

lomas de chapultepec Recognized Member eestlinc's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Even the NES version is pretty easy with two or more Fighters in your party, especially since in order to get enough gil to equip them you tend to level up a lot.

Free-range Human Recognized Member Lawr's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Two Fighters = Pro Action Replay
    placeholder_text.jpeg

I found the NES version at a garage sale for 1$, in it's original box with the map and charts and instruction booklet all in there, too. I said "hey, that sounds like a good deal" and brought it home with me.
    I would have to say that this puppy is one of the hardest Final Fantasys. Sure the newer ones may be tough in the amount of crazy patience you have to put into completing some crazy sidequests for either a godlike weapon or simple bragging rights... but the path always seems to be linear. You finish one area, you're pushed to the next. As long as you don't run from fights, you'll be more than ready to handle the boss at the end (with ease). There's a lot of story to keep you interested, as well.
    The NES version is fun because it leaves a lot to the imagination, but a lot of it is simply trying to find your way on the map and where you're supposed to be next with the little information given to you. It's also sitting on the floor reading a book as you are trying to buy 99 Heal potions, only to use them up on the first floor of the next dungeon. Or, making your way to the very end of a dungeon and being instantly killed by some obnoxious monster before you can get to the exit (after all of that hard work!) There's little story, and lots of leveling up if you want to keep going.
    It is a classic however, and a challenge. While the game isn't so long, it can be tedious... and unlike newer FFs with their save points all over the place, you save at a town or with a tent/cabin/house, and if you die in the depths of some cave, tough luck. Do it all over again! It's a great game, though... despite any glitches or mishaps with the battle system or gameplay. It just makes things more of a challenge! And challenge is good, right?
    So, play the NES version. It may be old, but it's great fun.

lomas de chapultepec Recognized Member eestlinc's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

the inability to save in dungeons is by far the biggest challenge in FF1, especially if you are used to that luxury from the more recent games in the series.

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eestlinc View Post
    the inability to save in dungeons is by far the biggest challenge in FF1, especially if you are used to that luxury from the more recent games in the series.
    That is what makes the Ice Cave such a nightmare in non-DoS versions. It's a long dungeon with dangerous enemies, and since you can't save, you can never know when you get ambushed by 9 Sorcerers or 3 Mages who cast Fire3 and Bane on all your party members, getting eliminated before you even get your first turn. The DoS version practically removes that threat since you can just save and load between every battle or so.
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

Quote Originally Posted by gyrus View Post
    Well I completed FF1 today, I kinda overleveled to 82 and whooped Chaos's ass (pathetically weak), I also did all of the SoC dungeons before that, and I must say, they're worth it just for Ultima Weapon, the sword that casts holy and the staff that casts flare.
    Which version did you play? NES, Origins, or DoS?

In the NES version, Chaos has only 2000hp. If you cast "Fast" on your Knight and Master, they can usually about 600-700 damage, per turn. I think they made him a bit tougher (as in, more HP) in the newer versions. I know they made Lich, Kary, Krakken and Tiamat tougher.

That is what makes the Ice Cave such a nightmare in non-DoS versions. It's a long dungeon with dangerous enemies, and since you can't save, you can never know when you get ambushed by 9 Sorcerers or 3 Mages who cast Fire3 and Bane on all your party members, getting eliminated before you even get your first turn. The DoS version practically removes that threat since you can just save and load between every battle or so.
    And the thing is, that was common, too. You'd be doing swell. You'd go into the Earth Cave and fight the Vampire. He'd work you over a bit, but you came out triumphant. And then you have to walk back out of the Earth Cave... And you'd get surprised by 7 ghouls that stun you when they hit you. So now, all of your guys are stunned and you can't even run from the fight. Happened all the time. The only solution was to get a "Hrm2" off as quick as possible.

I guess that's part of why FF1 was so much fun. Because it was ridiculously challenging at times. I mean, you'd cast Ice2 on a group of all the same enemy, and it would do 226 damage to one, and 39 damage to another. And in a game where your max HP at the end of the game is around 600, that 200 damage is a BIG difference.

Those who could honestly say that they played through the NES version of FF1 were pretty rare, back then.

Hey, did anyone else feel like Warmech was more difficult than Chaos?
    Last edited by feioncastor; 10-09-2006 at 06:44 PM.
    SELF PROMOTING SIG

Click here to hear a few of my songs.

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by feioncastor View Post
    Those who could honestly say that they played through the NES version of FF1 were pretty rare, back then.

Hey, did anyone else feel like Warmech was more difficult than Chaos?
    I only played through the emulated NES version, not the actual game on NES. I don't think WarMech was harder than Chaos since he has so much less HP then Chaos. The difficulty in him is getting to fight him, he's pretty much a WarChicken in FF Origins and hardly ever appears. In NES, I think Chaos is the hardest because he's so unpredictable. Sometimes you can defeat him easily, sometimes he'll totally destroy your party. On WSC, I think Lich and Kraken are really hard in ToF-revisited because Lich starts the battle by casting Nuke/Flare, and Kraken's physical attacks cause loads of damage.
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

I'm afraid of Warmech. Because if I even gain 1 exp in the cave before I fight him, I'm always like "NO! That's 1 more exp point that I have to earn ALL OVER AGAIN!!" when I die.
    Chaos it's just like *yawn*"...die." It helps that one of my favorite parts of the game is right before the last dungeon when you can level up... and go all around the world and fight whoever you want. It's so fun! I always tend to overdo it so the last dungeon isn't so bad...

You know another sweet thing about the NES version? I think this is one is actually true of the other versions, too.

Your characters, the Light Warriors, do NOT EVER speak. There is text in the game, but none of it is words from any of your guys, unless you count the "Nothing Here." and things like it.

Furthermore, on the NES version, no one ever says more than one a couple sentences at any time. Like, in FF4, someone will say something, you'll push A, and then they'll continue saying something to you. In this game, when someone says something, it's all there, right then. You push A, and they never have more to say. Not even Dr. Unne!
    SELF PROMOTING SIG

Click here to hear a few of my songs.