Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Ultimecia's Parting Words

Default Ultimecia's Parting Words

I'll bet this has been done before, but too bad. I simply want to hear some people's thoughts on Ulti's last words (I think I've got them all correct, let me know if I don't):

Reflect on your...Childhood...Your sensation...Your words...Your emotions...Time...It will not wait...No matter...How hard you hold on...It escapes you...And...

And..........? And what? Just "and?" Is that it? No deep, thought provoking finish to your interesting little speech? Come on Ultimecia, I'd think an all-powerful sorceress could do better than that.

Anyway, either I completely missed something, or this is one of those passages that can be interpreted just about an infinite number of ways. What does everyone think? This thread is purely for speculation, so there is no right or wrong. Unless I did miss something. Which is probably true.

EDIT: Oh, and this is assuming Ulti and Rinoa have absolutely nothing to do with each other besides the fact that they are both sorceresses. Thanks for reminding me.
    Last edited by Kain_Highwind; 08-20-2006 at 05:51 AM.

Thanks for posting them. I was too nervous about killing her to care about reading it.

And...i am not Rinoa.

I think thatīs what she wanted to say.:rolleyes2

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Dark Aeons Slayer View Post
    And...i am not Rinoa.

I think thatīs what she wanted to say.:rolleyes2
    Exactly!

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

To symbolize the lack of time in life, she never goes further than "and..."

The reason for the open ending with the ambiguous "and..." is readily apparent if you merely glance at what she says just before that: "Time, it will not wait". The fact that Ultimecia never finishes her sentence is meant to drive this point home, although most people don't really notice this obvious purpose. That's all there is to it; no secret information being snuffed from us or anything.

Anyway, I personally see it as Ultimecia talking about fate, and how they cannot escape it no matter how hard they try (this was essentially the lesson she learned by being defeated by Squall after all). But yeah, she could be talking about a whole lot of things...

it's not fun, don't do it Moon Rabbits's Avatar

Yep, it's to emphasize "time will not wait". At least, I think so.

Besides, I think the way her speech ended was really good. It makes you wonder what she was going to say...well, other than "I am not Rinoa!"

It was so that you could make up your own theories regarding what she says after that. It made her defeat more dramatic I guess.

Yeah, when I finished her off for the first time and I was reading the dialogue, I did notice that the "And" and abrupt end added to the feeling of time as a fleeting thing. I felt it, but didn't really think it. I see now that the "And" was most likely thrown in only for that purpose. Still, it's interesting that the creators put that in there. It technically does suggest that Ulti was going to say something, but I doubt they had ever intended anything specific for her to say. One can't help wonder what it could be, though. And I do agree that the word "And" is a really cool way to finish off an end of game speech. It completely leaves you hanging.

Personally, I always figured that the part about reflecting on the past mostly had to do with the ending sequence, when Squall finds his young self at the orphanage during TC. But the part that always baffles me is the bit on time. I don't really think it would make sense if she were referring to destiny. Fate seems to basically refer to the whole "Squall gives Edea idea, Edea starts SeeD, SeeD trains Squall and co., Squall and co. defeat sorceress, repeat" cycle. But if so, wouldn't that mean that time would wait, and would always wait, flowing in a big circle and never changing? Destiny is when time is set in stone, but Ulti seems to be implying that time breaks free and forms its own course. Is she suggesting a break from the cycle is possible? Or that it is already happening?

I guess one could go around in circles over and over, coming up with fanfictions, ideas for sequels, and FE theories all over the place to answer these questions which aren't even meant to have definitive answers, so maybe I'm wasting my time (or maybe it's escaping me). I just think that this is a really fascinating passage, one that is meant for people to think and possibly come up with crazy, off-the-wall ideas about.

One more thing, doesn't Ulti change her speech in one of the beginning lines (just before you fight her last form)? I think she says something like "Time...it will be compressed (Notice a "c" and not a "k")." It's subtle, but I always thought it suggested a difference in persona between that form and her normal self. And (Now I'm really getting off topic) I'm not even sure that thing really is Ulti, to tell the truth (the normal Ultimecia is on the bottom). Just thought I'd bring it up.

EDIT: No problem, Licence.

Before her final form Ultimecia says "Time shall compress... ... All existence denied."

Quote Originally Posted by Darkwing Bahamut View Post
    Before her final form Ultimecia says "Time shall compress... ... All existence denied."
    ... and?

Thank you Hysterian!

Read the last paragraph of Kain_Highwind's post above mine.

In my opinion, her final form have some conection with Hayne. I thought, in the past, that her final form was Hayne, but if i remember well, in her final form, she begun saying "I am Ultimecia", so, my theory was destroyed in that moment.

Oh, right.

Yeah, in Ulti's last form, wtf was that? Her/its face... well, there wasn't a face. It was like, a hollow head with a gaping hole holding a glowing ball. Also, "All existance denied" sounds sooo... computer-ish.

Thank you Hysterian!