Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: do you consider rap to be music? IF YOU LIKE RAP DONT COME IN HERE

The flying homo! Recognized Member Giga Guess's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Contributions to Eizon project

Honestly, I like some rap...by and large, I don't like the genre, but there are songs in it I do like. Gangsta rap, I loathe, just my opinion.

However to say something like this, and exclude those who would disagree with you from the conversation, I find to be rather narrow minded.

Many thanks Christmas!
    Horniest Member, 2007! Gimme a little unf unf!

Quote Originally Posted by Giga Guess View Post
    Honestly, I like some rap...by and large, I don't like the genre, but there are songs in it I do like. Gangsta rap, I loathe, just my opinion.

However to say something like this, and exclude those who would disagree with you from the conversation, I find to be rather narrow minded.
    No one has excluded anyone. Disagreemnt is human but no one was excluded actually I took there advice to try more of the music.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Everything I have wanted to say has already been said - what's popular right now gives an extremely bad image to what can be a great genre of music, if you listen to the right people. I hate gangster rap, but I'll be darned if I can go a week without listening to a nerdcore artist and just loving the whole experience.

Ok I admitt it there is one rap song I know that I like becuase it is "fun"but I dont know if its appropiate to post here it says some bad things. I love the song though....

Anyways I guess it is not all bad. Its kind of "fun"

Let me just say something. Rap stands for Retards Attempting Poetry. I have spoken.

I GET IT NOW. RAp is "fun".....?

haha hambone actually its kind of fun to listen to...

EDIT: IF they didnt go dirty in some of these songs, this stuff could be alot of fun to listen to.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    Let me just say something. Rap stands for Retards Attempting Poetry. I have spoken.
    I would come up with an acronym for Hambone that stands for ignorant and close-minded towards rap but I've recently been struck with ze writer's block

Actually I love this one rap song. I dont understand alot of it but it has me rocking in my chair I love this song. I cant post it here though.

Default I love some rap songs

Some people who dont have anything has rap its another way for them to escape their lives. I hate and thinks it funny when someone who has everything they need still thinks they understand wher some rapers are coming from and act like they belong on the street but there nothing but posers. For some its all theve got, for other its entertainment.

I think itrs music i love some songs but some suck others prevoke violence and some are just plane retarded. I heard a rap song about Area codes WTF!

I hate it when people stereotype people who like rap songs were all human beings so if you think listening to violins and watching ballet then your dead wrong. Some "Gangsta" people from my school get better grades than i do. Its just another form of music. Some groups at my school hate rap and love rock but still gets crapy grades. Its just a different group dont hate.

But i can understand my brother got involved in the popular rap group and did pot and got into huge trouple and that changed his life plus he became a selfish bastard as a result but theres good and bad for eveything. I just love to love.

Quote Originally Posted by Vikeve View Post
    Some people who dont have anything has rap its another way for them to escape their lives. I hate and thinks it funny when someone who has everything they need still thinks they understand wher some rapers are coming from and act like they belong on the street but there nothing but posers. For some its all theve got, for other its entertainment.

I think itrs music i love some songs but some suck others prevoke violence and some are just plane retarded. I heard a rap song about Area codes WTF!

I hate it when people stereotype people who like rap songs were all human beings so if you think listening to violins and watching ballet then your dead wrong. Some "Gangsta" people from my school get better grades than i do. Its just another form of music. Some groups at my school hate rap and love rock but still gets crapy grades. Its just a different group dont hate.

But i can understand my brother got involved in the popular rap group and did pot and got into huge trouple and that changed his life plus he became a selfish bastard as a result but theres good and bad for eveything. I just love to love.

Yes some of it is fun. I change my mind.

Let me start by saying I like Rap, or at least I did when it first came out. Most of the Rap these days is obscene drivel and not worth my time.

Rap is not music. It is an element of music. Combined with other elements it can be used to make music but by itself it is not music.

Music is "The art of arranging sounds in time so as to produce a continuous, unified, and evocative composition, as through melody, harmony, rhythm, and timbre." To have music you need a composition (The combining of distinct parts or elements to form a whole) of these things. Just two will do. The only thing Rap has is rhythm. That's it. It doesn't even have timbre since that would require them to use more then one pitch. If you combine Rap with Timber and a Melody though.... then you have music and in the right hands it can be a wonderful experience.

Even so, Rap in it's essence is not music.

One more thing, just so I dont get hate mails and have to continously defend myself in wars...I have changed my mind some rap is pretty good. Im listening to it now.

To me, saying rap isn't music is like saying a drum isn't an instument. Just because there's not an abundance of notes doesn't mean that maintaining different rhythms and volumes takes talent and evokes emotion.

Rap isn't just talking. If it were that easy, everyone and their mothers would be spitting verses like it was nothing. To keep rhythm and pace to your lyrics takes just as much effort as singing. That's why, just like singing, anybody can attempt to rap, but it truly takes talent to keep with a beat and actually make songs that people would want to listen to.

Also, like different drums, the different tones and approaches of voices convey completely different feelings. Listening to the booming voice of Chuck D from Public Enemy demands your attention and perfectly conveys the politically-charged songs PE deals out. Whereas someone like Q-Tip from A Tribe Called Quest has a smooth, relaxed tone that matches the jazzy vibe that ATCQ songs offer. "Rap" is just as general a term as "Rock". Within each there are completely different subgenres and to not like one shouldn't lead to an entire dismissal and generalization of the main category.

The only thing Rap has is rhythm. That's it. It doesn't even have timbre since that would require them to use more then one pitch. If you combine Rap with Timber and a Melody though.... then you have music and in the right hands it can be a wonderful experience.
    Exactly. And this is where DJs/Production comes in. A great MC is nothing without great production to back him up. Though since he mentioned the beats I assumed he was dismissing the final product.

I have changed my mind some rap is pretty good. Im listening to it now.
    I'm glad you've found the right style to match your tastes. Hopefully you can find a bunch of artists you like. Happy hunting!
    What I've been listening to:

No, I don't really consider it to be music.
    Generally I don't like it, but there are a few that are okay.
    Like Crazy in Love and Where is the love and a couple of other one's I can't remember the name of.

Quote Originally Posted by El Bandito View Post
    To me, saying rap isn't music is like saying a drum isn't an instument. Just because there's not an abundance of notes doesn't mean that maintaining different rhythms and volumes takes talent and evokes emotion.
    So close. Drums can make music but they are not music. If I took a single drum and beat on it with no change to the tone or timbre that would not be music, it would be a beat. Nothing more nothing less. When you combine it with something then you have music. Rap is like that drumbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by El Bandito View Post
    The only thing Rap has is rhythm. That's it. It doesn't even have timbre since that would require them to use more then one pitch. If you combine Rap with Timber and a Melody though.... then you have music and in the right hands it can be a wonderful experience.
    Exactly. And this is where DJs/Production comes in. A great MC is nothing without great production to back him up.
    Exactly.