Thread: do you consider rap to be music? IF YOU LIKE RAP DONT COME IN HERE

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Hip Hop = music.
    Rap = a sort of rythmical talking.

That being said, I don't really like either. It's got to have funny lyrics if I'm going to like it. "hoe bitch nigga" won't cut it.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

I don't mind old-school rap with minimal swearing and legible lyrics. However, you have to admit that it takes a certain talent to do modern rap (i.e. talking fast).

This thread is ridiculous! How can you say what is and isn't music, you have no right. Just because you listen to "real music" (wtf does that mean anyway?) doesn't give you a right. Jezzum Christmas, people.

I listen to a lot of strange stuff (noise, ambient blahblahblah), but I still consider it music. It's pushing boundaries, it's weird, it doesn't hold much in it, you can't rock out to it, but it doesn't mean that it isn't music. That type of music or sound quirks my interest, it's inspriring for me, therefore I think it is music for me. I've always seen music as an emotion, sure there's a ton of crap out there, but people listen to it, and people ENJOY it, people can relate, people can get an emotion from it, people enjoy/have love for what I call crap. Music is just like television, sports, and etc., it can be treated as entetainment. Basically, it means a lot of diffrent things for different people.

Music is constantly changing. Mainstream rap has undergone an amazing change, or maybe it's audience has, or maybe... I don't know. All I know is that people like it for various reasons, and you telling them that Iron Maiden is ten times better isn't going to do much. I know it hasn't for me, it's just made want to beat myself over the head repeatedly with something heavy. Let them enjoy it if they enjoy it.

I tried my best not repeat some people, since a lot of really intellingent things have been said already (see: DK, Shiny, El Bandito to namedrop). Sorry. ;o
    Last edited by Aurey; 08-24-2006 at 08:19 PM. Reason: wait, no. nevermind. ack.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurey View Post
    This thread is ridiculous! How can you say what is and isn't music, you have no right. Just because you listen to "real music" (wtf does that mean anyway?) doesn't give you a right. Jezzum Christmas, people. Are you that close minded?

I listen to a lot of strange stuff (noise, ambient blahblahblah), but I still consider it music. It's pushing boundaries, it's weird, it doesn't hold much in it, you can't rock out to it, but it doesn't mean that it isn't music. That type of music or sound quirks my interest, it's inspriring for me, therefore I think it is music for me. I've always seen music as an emotion, sure there's a ton of crap out there, but people listen to it, and people ENJOY it, people can relate, people can get an emotion from it, people enjoy/have love for what I call crap. Music is just like television, sports, and etc., it can be treated as entetainment. Basically, it means a lot of diffrent things for different people.

Music is constantly changing. Mainstream rap has undergone an amazing change, or maybe it's audience has, or maybe... I don't know. All I know is that people like it for various reasons, and you telling them that Iron Maiden is ten times better isn't going to do much. I know it hasn't for me, it's just made want to beat myself over the head repeatedly with something heavy. Let them enjoy it if they enjoy it.

I tried my best not repeat some people, since a lot of really intellingent things have been said already (see: DK, Shiny, El Bandito to namedrop). Sorry. ;o
    Well if you want to be open minded about peoples opinions then you cant call those opinions close minded.

See there's the whole conversation thing you established after that remark. I obviously was open minded enough with this thread to reach out or appeal to you. Just because I think differently it doesnt make me closed minded. Any way about it calling me closed minded for an opinion that I never stated as fact and never pleaded for everyone to agree with it is ....well um closed minded.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna View Post
    I used to believe Rap was music. Then I was exposed to real music and discovered just how insufficient Rap was. I became educated on the subject.
    How did you become educated if you still believe rap isn't music?

Quote Originally Posted by Aurey
    This thread is ridiculous! How can you say what is and isn't music, you have no right. Just because you listen to "real music" (wtf does that mean anyway?) doesn't give you a right. Jezzum Christmas, people. Are you that close minded?
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna
    @farplaner: A lady does not reveal her age and a gentleman does not ask.
    I never asked for your age. And who said I was a gentleman, anyway?

Brian: "If I remember correctly, this is the Physics Department."
    Chris: "That would explain all the gravity."

I think Aurey has a point though. You obviously didn't check out the genre enough. It's quite clear that all rap is music, (although that is my opinion). What you tried to say was that because the lyrics are bad in "gangsta", it automatically makes rap not music. Some rap is good, and promotes good messages.

But gangsta rap is still much nontheless.

Well, if we need to get into a debate about what is and isnt music....

Any form of wavelength, sound sequence or wave pattern that has any form of rythum or melody in it is technically considered music. Someone singing is music, someone tapping on a table this thier fingers is music, someone playing the pots and pans is music. So basically, thier is music all around, everywhere. Just because something is bad doesnt mean it isn't music.

This thread isnt necessarly about what is music by definition. It is a thread full of many humans
    Many personalities
    Many opinions

People simply are stating what they consider to be music , people could care less about the definition of music and simply can respect rap as music or choose to disown it. PEOPLE CAN HAVE DIFFERENT OPINIONS AND FEELINGS!!!! No one has tried to change anyones mind here or force there views on another.....
    Last edited by lovehurts; 08-23-2006 at 01:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisfffan View Post
    rap isn’t music you don’t need to be able to sing a note to rap
    Rap and singing aren't the same thing.Rap is still music though.

If you think that rap music is just fast talking,then some rock music is just screaming

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Hip Hop = music.
    Rap = a sort of rythmical talking.

That being said, I don't really like either. It's got to have funny lyrics if I'm going to like it. "hoe bitch nigga" won't cut it.
    *Applause*
    I love hip-hop much more than rap.it is something I can really dance to whereas rap isn't...IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna View Post
    I used to believe Rap was music. Then I was exposed to real music and discovered just how insufficient Rap was. I became educated on the subject.
    How did you become educated if you still believe rap isn't music?
    XD

Shiny got you there!

Quote Originally Posted by lovehurts View Post
    This thread isnt necessarly about what is music by definition. It is a thread full of many humans
    Many personalities
    Many opinions

People simply are stating what they consider to be music , people could care less about the definition of music and simply can respect rap as music or choose to disown it. PEOPLE CAN HAVE DIFFERENT OPINIONS AND FEELINGS!!!! No one has tried to change anyones mind here or force there views on another.....
    Sorry dude, I didn't mean to cause offence, just stating a fact.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Spykus Hallideus (Cerberus)

Rap itself isn't music, it's a singing in a rap thingy.... When you rap with music in the background you can consider it hip hop or rap music. Rapping is a style of singing aswell as a type of music... I'm not too sure on all this... I went off rap 4 years ago and even then I wasn't a huge fan.

LET THE HAMMER FALL

Many personalities
    Many opinions

People simply are stating what they consider to be music , people could care less about the definition of music and simply ever respect rap as music or choose to disown it. PEOPLE CAN HAVE DIFFERENT OPINIONS AND FEELINGS!!!! No one has ttried to change anyones mind here or force there views on another.....
    Arrianna (for one) did offer a definition of music, and when someone says something that, in my mind, is the equivelant of saying "Sci-fi/romance/mystery novels aren't literature." I can't help but voice my disagreement. Of course people can have different opinions and feelings, I don't think anyone is denying that...

Sorry, Arrianna, if it seems like I'm picking on you.

Brian: "If I remember correctly, this is the Physics Department."
    Chris: "That would explain all the gravity."

Many personalities
    Many opinions

But you can't say it isn't music, because it is. Music has a freaking definition, it's not really a matter of opinion. It's like saying Kool-Aid isn't a liquid because you hate it.

Quote Originally Posted by feona17 View Post
    Many personalities
    Many opinions

But you can't say it isn't music, because it is. Music has a freaking definition, it's not really a matter of opinion. It's like saying Kool-Aid isn't a liquid because you hate it.
    Definitons only matter if you care what most people think about it. Personally I dont care and I love being different and an individual I wasnt calling it music simply because I didnt like it so I DISOWNED IT AS MUSIc.

To alot of you it may be music and if you pull out a dictionary you may tell me it is music and I would agree with you that according to a book worm and an educated or knowledgefull person that it may be music.

But to insult it , to disown it and to say that I totaallly couldnt care less about it I said it wasnt music....this is an interesting concept but I pray that some one gets it....

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Spykus Hallideus (Cerberus)

To err clear things up I consider rapping to bea crap form of singing unless it is singing some random techno-like music in the background. Then it's music of some sort. Yeah it sucks but it can be music and it can't. W/e.I'm a metalhead so ehhhhh...

LET THE HAMMER FALL