Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: do you consider rap to be music? IF YOU LIKE RAP DONT COME IN HERE

Default do you consider rap to be music? IF YOU LIKE RAP DONT COME IN HERE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One more thing, just so hate I dont get hate mails and have to continously defend myself in wars...I have changed my mind some rap is pretty good. Im listening to it now.

Well...I honestly dont . I dont hate rap but I dont think its music. I think its a lack of talent and is some one yelling things with a speech impediment. The beats are music but the rap is not music to me. Its usually an foul and obnoxious mix of dirty and violent lyrics. I dont consider it to be a pleasing sound nor would I consider it music. I would consider it public speaking on the radio being expressed not in song , but in a burst of out bursts with an unprivileged person of the english language making nursing rythmes as he sounds "cool" saying it all with a speech impediment with a loud voice...not singing at all. Some unprivileged person person or even worse a wanna be some one that can actually talk and knows how to spell and speak at atleast a 4th grade level.... ....who butchers words and themes because he wants to sound cool with his rythmes.

They are all think its cool to talk this way and ruin words but really it just shows how pathetic and weak our school systems truly are and I hate it when this is encouraged. Some dont even talk that why by nature they rap and mimmic the speech impediment so that they dont have to actually try to have any real talent . They read off a "script " some one wrote and they dont even sing it with talent. They just yell it out like a 4 year old and some people consider this music!!!!

Gansta....? No ganster.
    I could go on but its obvious how rap helps butcher the english language. I dont consider it music at all. The themes arent thought out its a rythme full of trash and some one says it all twisting the hell out of the english language in order to try to make this garbage flow.

I'll be the 1st to admiitt english isnt great but rap damns the man.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One more thing, just so hate I dont get hate mails and have to continously defend myself in wars...I have changed my mind some rap is pretty good. Im listening to it now.
    Last edited by lovehurts; 08-21-2006 at 02:53 AM.

Im sorry, I like rap but I had to come to this thread as It'll just be biased opinions which are posted here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Music is the artistic form of human expression in the medium of time using the structures of sounds or tones and silence
    I believe Rap music fits that description, this thread is over.

I said my opinion and you said yours nothing is over. I dont consider it music but I am more than happy to read other takes on it. I say its not music because I dont think it deserves to be. NO TALENT IN RAP.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Edit: Wikipedia isn't a 100% reliable source.

Doesn't music always have to have a melody? Of course, it's been so long since I've taken anything regarding music...

But yeah, don't consider it music. Or at least not good music. But if you really enjoy it, more power to ya.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Rap gets the girls movin. So its good in my book .

Yes, Rap is music. and I listen to some of it.

Owen made this sig. R.I.P.

You're probably referring to most of the mainstream rap, lovehurts. 50 Cent, TI, Ja Rule. I'll agree that most of them suck. But you have to look at all aspects of it. Have you listened to any "underground" rap? I think if you listened to some of it, often having politically charged or deep messages in them, you might see it in a different light. It's ridiculous to say that all rap requires no talent. Some underground rappers write genius songs. Go listen to Talib Kweli or Wyclef Jean (his solo career), and it might change your mind.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by lovehurts View Post
    I think it’s a lack of talent and is some one yelling things with a speech impediment.
    Not all rap is nonsensical yelling. Just like not all rock is nonsensical yelling. It does take a certain amount of talent and creativity to come up with rhyming lyrics that will fit the idea of the song. And some rap artists are their own producers, so they come up with the beats for their own songs. Which takes alot of talent.
    Its usually an foul and obnoxious mix of dirty and violent lyrics.
    Some rappers are like that, but not all of them. I just think you need to be open-minded to rap to want to learn more about the artists that are more positive. Like Common and Talib Kweli for instance.
    I don’t consider it to be a pleasing sound nor would I consider it music. I would consider it public speaking on the radio being expressed not in song , but in a burst of out bursts with an unprivileged person of the english language making nursing rythmes as he sounds "cool" saying it all with a speech impediment with a loud voice...not singing at all.
    That's your personal opinion. Some people happen to like this genre of music. And I've heard some people try to rap, but they were horrible at it. It's not as easy as it looks to find the right flow. Believe me. Especially in free styling rap.

I could go on but its obvious how rap helps butcher the english language.
    I listen to rap and I don't talk like that. It's not the music, it's the individual and how easily influenced they are.

it all twisting the hell out of the english language in order to try to make this garbage flow.
    Some poets and rockstars do this too. But I don't see you complaining about that. Just, because you don't like it that doesn't mean it's not music.

The Nerd Who Knows Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't like it. But I still think it is music. Like the wiki quote said, it is an artistic form of expression using vocal tones. While I don't consider it good music at all, it still is music none the less. It really is all about expression. But I do agree that it is bringing down the English language even further.

<PaperStar> live fast, die young, bad plefs do it well

Quote Originally Posted by I Took the Red Pill View Post
    You're probably referring to most of the mainstream rap, lovehurts. 50 Cent, TI, Ja Rule. I'll agree that most of them suck. But you have to look at all aspects of it. Have you listened to any "underground" rap? I think if you listened to some of it, often having politically charged or deep messages in them, you might see it in a different light. It's ridiculous to say that all rap requires no talent. Some underground rappers write genius songs. Go listen to Talib Kweli or Wyclef Jean (his solo career), and it might change your mind.
    I posted this thread hoping to see something like this. I feel that rap is so bad right now. This post is something different. It was open minded and thoughtfull enough to suggest that I would be open minded enough to further examine something I currently dont like. I respect that and I think Im going to seek out the "underground rap"

Thank you.

Also I want to thank the others as well. I'll give rap another chance. I love when a thread can change my mind. I'll try to be more open minded.

Some rap's ok, then some is just disgusting.

NO TALENT IN RAP.
    Biased. You obviously dont like rap, so you fail to see talent. And when does talent come into this, even if someone had no talent, he can still create a melody, which believe it or not, is music.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreddz View Post
    NO TALENT IN RAP.
    Biased. You obviously dont like rap, so you fail to see talent. And when does talent come into this, even if someone had no talent, he can still create a melody, which believe it or not, is music.
    MAybe you are right....I guess the thread is still open either way

I am going to listen to some "underground rap" so I can actually be more fair. Even if I dont like it some one does, but if I still hate it I'll let you all know.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeromus_X View Post
    Edit: Wikipedia isn't a 100% reliable source.

Doesn't music always have to have a melody? Of course, it's been so long since I've taken anything regarding music...

But yeah, don't consider it music. Or at least not good music. But if you really enjoy it, more power to ya.
    No, it does not. Atonal stuff is totally devoid of melody, and yet is still able to be considered music.
    Quote Originally Posted by MecaKane View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Yliette View Post
    Avril's become more profane now with lines such as "Hell yeah, I'm a m***** f***in' princess"
    No matter how much you and Sigmund Freud want it to be, 'mother' is not a curse word.

Blog Entries

Rap is music as long as it has some good talent in it, like:

The Old Light by Fat Jon and Nujabes
    Think Different by Fat Jon
    Feather by Fat Jon

And some others.