oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

Default Zelda: TP Update - Swing Wiimote to Swing Sword

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/726/726748p1.html

Brief synopsis: At E3, swinging Link's sword was mapped to the B button. Now, it's mapped to Wiimote motion. No word on whether or not this is a changeable option, but it's possible. Also, at E3 you had to use the Dpad on the Wiimote while aiming to fire the Bow & Arrow, which some have said was awkward. That's the B trigger's new function now.

This could be good, it could be bad. At E3 Nintendo was saying they didn't want to have the sword controlled like that, because they thought it would get tiring. I personally am not too worried about 'arm tiredness' with the Wii--if it happens it happens. I'm more worried about the people who pick out that part of the system's feature and rag on it.
    Changing the arrow shooting to the B trigger was definitely a good move though.

Blog Entries

Well, I hope they know what they're doing. o_o I do wonder, though, if it will follow your motions exactly, or you move the controller, and the game reacts like you pressed a button.

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

It's cool that it's confirmed, but I expected that the sword would be mapped to the motion detector.
    Figaro Castle

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

This could actually be pretty cool. The shield we already know has some interaction with the Nunchuck end, so depending how this ends up you can feel like you're actually in the game, with a sword and shield. I wouldn't mind too much if it didn't mimic the exact movement you did, but there have been hints that it would be possible (E3 demo: Stab the Wiimote down towards a grounded enemy to Swordplant him)

Well, this is what I was expecting the first time I heard Twilight Princess was going to use the Wiimote. I'm a little worried. I still want the option to use the old control scheme (or the Game Cube controller).

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

The GC controller won't work on Zelda Wii, I remember reading something a few days ago that confirmed that. You'd have to get the GC version to use the GC controller.

Blog Entries

I think it may have been in camp hyrule, but I wasn't in there so I don't know.

A true ffix lover Ashley Schovitz's Avatar

I think it would be too tiring to have you swing the wiimote every time to attack with the sword other than their planned shake the controller to make him do his spincut, but with the bow and arrow targeting I can't say what I think about that.

Yellow Winged Angel

on planetgamecube they officially said that the Wii version will not be compatible with the GC controllers. SO your choice is final, no turning back

THE JACKEL
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9

Resident Fire Emblem Fan Elite Lord Sigma's Avatar

That's odd, I could have sworn that's how the sword was originally controlled. I do think that this change is for the better, though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Meta-Knight View Post
    That's odd, I could have sworn that's how the sword was originally controlled. I do think that this change is for the better, though.
    At E3, items were mapped to the D-Pad, the sword was mapped to the B button, and the A button was the action button.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

Holy crap, I just thought of something else.

Horseback riding.

We've seen in the Twilight Princess videos that Link will be having some Horseback action: shooting arrows and jousting type clashes with swords.

Eponas 'Reins' will be the Nunchuck: Jab forward to spur, pull back to stop or slow down, pull to the sides to turn. Wiimote will aim the Bow or whatever ranged weapon (naturally), but now you swing the sword with the Wiimote. Perhaps you can choose which side to swing on, what angle you swing at, and whether it's a stab or a slash or something. Awesome.

This, of course, has not been confirmed or even hinted at by Nintendo, but it's extremely possible.

Quote Originally Posted by roto13-ness View Post
    Well, this is what I was expecting the first time I heard Twilight Princess was going to use the Wiimote.

..a Russian mountain cat. Yamaneko's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm not too crazy about using the Wiimote in a Zelda game. I'm pretty sure I'm going to pick this up (and a Wii) on launch day or as close to launch day as possible, but I've been considering getting the Gamecube version and a Gamecube controller instead. I'll have to see some footage of someone playing with the Wiimote before I decide though.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Yamaneko View Post
    ...but I've been considering getting the Gamecube version and a Gamecube controller instead.
    You haven't a GC controler!? Sacrilege!!

But indeed, the key for Nintendo is to show people how the system in general works, and get them to try it if at all possible. They can rely on their legion of fanboys (including me) well enough, but since they're trying to expand the market they need to get as much exposure as possible for this.