Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The Best Final Fantasy?

FFIX is best. Followed by FFX, then FFVII, then FFVIII.

But FFVIII is still a great game.

Quote Originally Posted by *~Angel Wing~* View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mobiletype View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisfffan View Post
    I personally think Final Fantasy 8 is the best FF game ever!
    obviously
    FINAL FANTASY VIII IS THE BEST GAME!!!
    :kaohappy2 :kaolove: :kaolove: :kaohappy2

:bigbiggri
    :sweatdrop

FFX.

Doesn't this belong in Gen. FF?

O Captain! My Captain! Spawn of Sephiroth's Avatar

i do think ff8 is one of the best, but not better than 7 in my opinion

Loki: I have an army.
    Stark: We have a HULK!

Quote Originally Posted by Pharoh Amon Khan III View Post
    Why is there a general comparison between VII and VIII?
    Because:

1. FFVII is chronologically before FFVIII

2. FFVII is the most successful FF game with FFVIII being the second

3. Out of the entire series FFVII and FFVIII share the most similarities.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Quote Originally Posted by Lilliputian Hitcher View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pharoh Amon Khan III View Post
    Why is there a general comparison between VII and VIII?
    Because:

1. FFVII is chronologically before FFVIII

2. FFVII is the most successful FF game with FFVIII being the second

3. Out of the entire series FFVII and FFVIII share the most similarities.
    First of all, with number one, I hope you mean that FFVII came out before FFVIII and not that they occur in the same world. And I have to disagree with number three. The things that FFVII and FFVIII had in common are present in a number of other Final Fantasy titles involved.

Anyway, the first disc of Final Fantasy VIII rocked hard. The rest was an enormous let down. As far as I'm concerned, the rest of the game fell short of what the first disc promised. There were too many faults in the character development (whatever happened to the characters other than Squall and Rinoa?), the love story was lacking (short story: Squall is a closet necrophiliac), and the ending was... extremely disappointing. That's my short winded version. I'm not going to get into all the details about why this game disappointed me, because I don't want to piss people off any more than I already may have.

That all being said, I genuinely enjoyed playing Final Fantasy VIII. It was the first Final Fantasy game that I played on my own; I'd watched my friend play through 80% of Final Fantasy VII before I finally got my hands on it. Despite the fact that I bash it a lot, I recognize that it is a good game. I didn't really begin to recognize its flaws until I'd played more RPGs to compare it to. Even still, that doesn't stop me from picking it up every couple years and playing it again.

(SPOILER)FFIX ftw.

No, I meant they were released one after another.

And about the similarities, I mean the superficial ones that anyone would pick up on like both having a loner emo protagonist, both having a more futuristic setting etc.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vivi_ultima View Post
    chrisfffan, do you play FF First Generation? Their story are much deeper than any of second generation except maybe FFT.
    FFVI (arguably) has a better story than its predecessors, but if you think it's story remotely compares to its 3D counterparts then you really need to stop lying to yourself.

"Because, he's an evil clown" just doesn't hold up to the background stories of Sephiroth, The Sorceress, Kuja, or Sin.

As far as FFVIII, I've played through this game 3 times w/o beating it so far. The second time I got to Ultemecia and said "screw this."

The characters, except for Squall/Rinoa, have very little development, whereas that was a huge part of the magic in 5, 6, and 7.

They took pre-rendered backgrounds to a completely different level though. The FMVs were also greatly improved over 7, I'd say they really hit the target in these two aspects.

I'm not a fan of the Junction system. I think it's misunderstood by most players, including myself. I think if the game creators gave us a more clear instructions on how to effectively use it, it would've been better.

I think it definately ranks up there with the best FFs. Maybe one day I'll get around to beating it and I'll see where it ranks on my favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar
    "Because, he's an evil clown" just doesn't hold up to the background stories of Sephiroth, The Sorceress, Kuja, or Sin.
    A villain doesn't need a ten thousand word backstory to be an decent villain. In the case of Kefka, him prancing around doing a tone of evil s@#$ with childish glee is enough to make him a very effective antagonist.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

(SPOILER)And, you know, turning the world into a living hell for his own enjoyment.

But I can see why people think he's overrated.

If by (SPOILER)"turning the world into a living hell for his own enjoyment." you mean (SPOILER)"losing his s@#$ and moving some statues around" then yes.

IMO, FFVIII is not the best. Many other games are far better and were more interesting, and enthralling to play and figure out even after I was done playing the game. My favorite part of games is to piece together all of the puzzle in the plot when the game is completed. Story and characters were much better in FFVII, FFIX, and FFX, in my opinion of course.
    I'm a water dude, jet skis, water pools
    Surfin' the (waaaave), I'm hurtin' the (waaaave)...
    "Oh Yes" ~ Juelz Santana

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lilliputian Hitcher View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar
    A villain doesn't need a ten thousand word backstory to be an decent villain. In the case of Kefka, him prancing around doing a tone of evil s@#$ with childish glee is enough to make him a very effective antagonist.
    I was referring to the poster who said that the first generation of Final Fantasy had much deeper and better stories than the second. I'm not bashing Kefka, to this day his theme music still occasionally gives me goosebumps.

Default do u think the series has got worse?

I think the best Final Fantasy can only be 7 or 8 the others are ok but I don’t think they compare and maybe they have got worse as they have gone along what do u think? im not saying 9 and X were bad its just maybe the ideas have got worn out i think the new one will be something special though.

I think that VIII is one of my favorites, but I like VI and X more. To me VI and X are one of the best. VIII is definitely in my top for, first being VI, then X, VII and VIII
    Life is never constant, but love should never be uncertain.

:mog:

Which FF Character Are You?