Thread: A New Hidden Boss in FFIII DS (Spoilers)

Default A New Hidden Boss in FFIII DS (Spoilers)

I present to you:

The Iron Giant

http://ranobe.sakuratan.com/up/src/up131901.jpg

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Can anyone who's usernames starts with a 'K' translate for us?

Edit: Why can't the Cloud of Darkness have kanji now? ;_;

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Uhm, I'll see what I can do.

Sixth Screenshot
    Top of the screen: "Tetsukyojin" (Iron Giant)
    Menu: "Tatakau" (Fight), "Mahou" (Magic), "Bougyo" (Defend), "Aitemu" (Item)

Seventh Shot
    Top of the screen: "Zenmetsutrouta..." (Annihilated...)

Eighth Shot
    Luneth: "Haahaa...Nandattanda aitsuha..." (Pant, pant... What was that guy?)

From here on, the dialogue gets too kanji-laden for me to translate reliably, although Ingus says something about Prince Allus, and there's a reference to a "Metal Card," which is presumably the Iron Giant's version of the customary useless trinkets you get for killing Final Fantasy super-bosses.

Here's the bestiary shot at the bottom:

Top of the screen: "Monsuta-zukan" (Monster Encyclopedia), "Yarikomide-ta" (Intense Play Data)
    No222: "2heddodoragon (2-Head Dragon)
    No223: "Ekidona" (Echidna)
    No224: "A-riman" (Ahriman)
    No225: "Kurayaminokumo" (Cloud of Darkness)
    No226: "Tetsukyojin"
    Below HP: "Giru" (Gil)
    Below EXP: "Jyakuten - Nashi" (Weakness - None)
    Below LV: "Kougeki" (Attack)
    Below Attack: "Bougyo" (Defense)

"Yarikomi" is usually used to refer to those crazy challenges you see of guys beating Emerald Weapon in two turns and so forth. I don't know how it's supposed to apply here. Maybe you can watch a demo of each boss getting killed very skillfully?

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

Looks like the characters used were OK's, possibly kitted out in full Onion Gear. The fact that they got annihilated so easily suggests to me that there's some side-quest you have to go through in order to be able to kill him (e.g. Friendly Monsters with Ozma). Still, with 199999 HP it would take a minimum of 20 attacks to kill him with FEOK's, provided they could do 9999 damage per turn to him...
    There is no signature here. Move along.

The page I the image from says it's unlocked by sending Mognet letters to Prince Allus http://www12.atwiki.jp/ff3ds/. Apparently once you get the fourth letter from him, it unlocks.

The letters seem to be triggered by some combination of game progression, number of messages sent to friends/number of friends via WiFi/local wireless connection, and time elapsed on the DS's internal clock.
    Last edited by Fro; 08-24-2006 at 03:30 PM.

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

That's a nice find. Good to see the Onion Knights in action. I hope their weapons and armor aren't as terribly hard to find in DS as they were in the NES version.
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

And they still got beaten even with Max HP

Vaan - "Hey, you!"
    Penelo - "Yeah, you! The one reading this sig at this very moment!"
    Vaan - "Interested in playing FFXII International Zodiac Job system?"
    Ashe - "But you have no knowledge of the Japanese language?"
    Fran - "....We could help...."
    Balthier - "That's right, Fran! Just click on Crossblades' thread on the very bottom of this signature and it will show you all license grid translations, magicks and tecks locations, and other changes that were made!"
    Basch - "Don't forget though. Swap Magic is needed to play this game if you don't own a japanese PS2."
    Vaan - "Also remember that if you played the original, you'll have an easier time playing the international version. We hope you enjoy the International Zodiac Job System experience. See ya then!"

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fan...ther-info.html

FFXIV Character

Laurelin Kementari (Sargatanas)

Optional Boss (I think)? That's good. Hard optional boss? Even better. Optional boss that can defeat the strongest job in the game with max HP? That'll be a pain. Makes me think of Penance, you know, from X.

I heard the Iron Giant has 130 000 HP. That's quite much, but then again, the Final Boss in the DS version has 130 000 x 2 + 150 000 HP, soooooooo...

I want this game. Difficulty rules.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Kurayaminokumo
    Yeah, that's what I mean. I guess they didn't use too much kanji then...But at least I can read some of it, in that case. Thank you Kishi!

Yeah, this thing looks great. Although getting getting FEOKs just to have a chance against it seems kinda extreme.

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

Having a party where everyone has 9999 HP and Onion Knights annihilated by a boss that has 130,000 HP doesn't really say anything about the boss's difficulty, IMHO, especially if they're screenshots by the game designers. They usually have unusually weird stats for the characters in the screenshots, and really, if you wanted to show a pic of four characters with 9999 HP being annihilated, it's not that hard to get those four annihilated.
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

There better be some cheap strategy that makes the Iron Giant easily defeatable.

You don't need all the Onion equipment to unlock the class, so these could just be LVL 99 Onion Knights. And they didn't get immediately wiped out, just that the battle was tough