Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Big up the down Red Mage!

Default Big up the down Red Mage!

I just played through FF1 with a party of two fighters and two red mages, and it was the easiest game I ever played. Why? Because my two mages didn't spend 90% of the game stood in the back row hitting for 1 damage while I saved magic for when I really needed it!

Sure, they can't learn Nuke, Fade, XXXX or Zap!, but why does that matter when you can rarely afford to use those spells anyway? Chaos went down in a couple of rounds and it might even have been quicker if I hadn't wasted time casting Fast and Tmpr...

So in conclusion, I think the Black and White mages kinda suck. What's the point when they're only useful in 10% of the battles, as opposed to Red Mages, who are useful in nearly all of them, especially when they have nearly as much HP as the Fighter? Hooray for Red Magic!
    Last edited by ReloadPsi; 08-26-2006 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Forgot the bit about HP...

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

And this, my friends, is why Red Mages will always be the greatest class of them all.
    There is no signature here. Move along.

On a side note, I had one learn Black Magic and one learn only White Magic, with some minor exceptions like (I think) Levels 5 and 7 where they could only learn one or two abilities, so I had a few crossovers for that reason.

So my White Red Mage still stood at the bottom row to be a supportive character, just like when I used to actually use a White Mage *shudder*.

Yah, but with the redmages you cant warp. YOu have to walk everywhere!(or fly in the airship.)
    Too big.

I wouldn't know, I never used the Warp spell; didn't understand it.

It baseicaly got you out of dungeons without having to walk u all the way back up.
    Too big.

Exit does that too. And Red Wizards (albeit not mages) can learn Exit, but by the time you have Exit, you're getting warped out after killing the boss anyway.

Warp also gets you back to the last inn you stayed at.
    Too big.

Ah well. It's a small price to pay for having a character who's not such a weak link during the random encounters, eh?

Good point the trade off seems even. I would just miss the big spells. Also the extra spell points.
    Too big.

Quote Originally Posted by Psi View Post
    I just played through FF1 with a party of two fighters and two red mages, and it was the easiest game I ever played. Why? Because my two mages didn't spend 90% of the game stood in the back row hitting for 1 damage while I saved magic for when I really needed it!

Sure, they can't learn Nuke, Fade, XXXX or Zap!, but why does that matter when you can rarely afford to use those spells anyway? Chaos went down in a couple of rounds and it might even have been quicker if I hadn't wasted time casting Fast and Tmpr...

So in conclusion, I think the Black and White mages kinda suck. What's the point when they're only useful in 10% of the battles, as opposed to Red Mages, who are useful in nearly all of them, especially when they have nearly as much HP as the Fighter? Hooray for Red Magic!
    Kinda suck? lol thats being too nice. Black Mages and White Mages suck ass.

Nuke,Fade,XXXX etc....all overrated. By time you get them you can already go and easily finish the game. And most likely you can only cast them like once or twice. Depending if you overleveled or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Mage FF1 View Post

Then Why is that your name?
    Too big.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Garn the Red View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Mage FF1 View Post

Then Why is that your name?
    I'm curious, too.

There's one occasion where Black Mages kick ass: When they happen to include Tsuyoshi Sekito and Kenichiro Fukui. Plus, the Black Mage does at least look totally awesome :)

Shame they didn't do such a good job of FF1's battle theme... Not nearly metal enough considering it was the first track of the first album. Ah well, Matoya's Cave was a kickass bluesy piece so it's forgiven.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

As a side note, INT has no effect on magic damage in the NES version, so Red, Black, White, and Purple mages cast all spells just as crappily. But of course, we don't really need to cast crappy spells. We need buffs and debuffs. And swords. And pirate-ness.