Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: www.

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I usually type www. The question should be, "Does anyone type http://?" Now that's what I usually skip when typing out an address.

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't remember the last time I ever typed www.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Xaven View Post
    Yes. Actually, I always ritually type:

"http://www.*site name :D*.com/"
    Does the :D at the end get you a lot of 404's?

I type out the w's seeing as a few of the sites I deal with have subdomains, so I type those out; so the w's just make sense to me.

good evening, miss Tifa's Real Lover(really's Avatar

rarely, i jus go *puts in site name* then i hit the Ctrl and enter and it does it for me

I would probably go play video games or have sex (the usual) - Nominus Experse

my mom would be like "ve? yo te dije, el internet no es bueno."

"seriously, my mom tells me "que tu hase en eso el dia entero?" and im like "mami yo toy hablando con people" xD. spanglish, ftw." ~ liz

all the time. every single time when i don't have my stuff bookmarked.

nope.

some addresses for some reason don't work for me unless i type the "www." so usualy not but if it doesn't work then yes i do.
    Chuck Noblet: Can anyone tell me the tragic irony of the Trojan War? Tina? Tina: Um, that horses are friendly creatures yet a hollow, wooden one was used to destroy Troy? Chuck Noblet: Wrong and no. Anyone else? Chip? Chip: That the mighty warrior Achilles was killed by a small cut to his ankle. Chuck Noblet: Chip is wronger. OK, here it is. The tragic irony of the Trojan War is that though it was fought over Helen, who was young and beautiful, by the time they rescued her ten years later, she was old and ugly. Tina: But wasn't recovering the king's wife reward enough for the Greeks? Chuck Noblet: Tina, an ugly woman is never a reward.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

www is sometimes necessary, depending on whether the site owner has enabled a little option to make it so.

Generally I just type something that will get me close enough, and rely on firefox's inbuilt google search to bring up something appropriate. That, or type the first few letters and let drop down autocomplete finish the job for me.

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Out of habit, unless it's been bookmarked.

A lot of university websites require the "www." and I would imagine government sites do as well.

My 20 year-old roommate asked me why I typed the "http://" once while he was in my room. He told me he had never noticed it before and had certainly never typed it.

O_o

To answer the question though, I typed www. every time and http:// every time.

I ignore not typing "www" only on special occasion. Why I type "www"? Dunno.

Which FF Character Are You?
    Ok, that's not so not me.:rolleyes2

no i don't i usually just type i nwhat i want in the search engine even though its not hte fastest way.

Quote Originally Posted by Del Snizz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nik0tine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by eestlinc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    You don't need to?
    it depends on the site, I believe.
    Does it really? I've never actually encountered a site that made me do it.
    That's simply because most sites these days are weak and care nothing for the public virtue.
    Depends on how the web server is set up. Most cool site use apache, which by default hadles root hits and throws a user into the www directory with out any need not to. Sites that do not, irk me. Unless of course they do something else with root dir.

Apache did have a huge control over the ammount of webservers, until micro$cuk horribly cheated and payed GoDaddy to park all its parked domains on an IIS box, boosting microsofts IIS web presence dramatically. Feel the HATE! (Parked domain being one that is bought, and just not in use.)

I think IIS by default does not approve of such lazyness as forgetting the leading www. reference; though I have not used it it _years_ so I am prolly wrong by now. I should hope so.

Bipper

Blog Entries

Indeed I do! And it's purely out of habbit. I remember when my sister was trying to impress me with a "magic trick". She said she could get a website to load without typing WWW. I didn't believe her. When I saw her do it, I was in total awe! O_O