Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Steve Irwin - Dead

Blog Entries

Dammit, here come the re-runs...

I started to cry when I first heard about it...I miss him.

<center>R.I.P.

Steve Erwin.

Well he was completely wacked...at least he died doing what he loved.

i n v i s i b l e Tech Admin o_O's Avatar
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Humphrey Squibbles (Sargatanas)

Even though, with him being an Aussie and me being a Kiwi, he's supposed to be my arch-rival, it totally sucks to see him go.

RIP Steve Irwin.

This is a very sad loss (made me even more sad after seeing all the interviews on cnn about him).

But I do think he was a rather stubborn fellow. Not so much because he put himself in harms way. But because he was putting himself in harms way like that when he had a wife and two kids at home.

I'm sure he new just exactly how dangerous the profession that he was in was and the effect that it could have on the people who needed him the most. And still he chose to do what he did.

I think the guy was a thrill seeker. I think that has more to do with why he did what he did than any animal conservationalism does.

But he definitely was fun to watch and seemed to be a really great guy. So in that regard he will definitely be missed.

But I still say he was a rather stubborn fellow.
    Last edited by darkchrono; 09-06-2006 at 06:13 AM.

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

I must say I disagreed with alot of the things he did.

and the stereotype he promoted of Australians just didnt suit me at all.

once I added a random person added me on MSN, and he asked "where u from"

I said "Australia"

he said "Do they even have computers there"

but the conservation he tryed so much to uphold (successfully) awed me in many ways to appreciate him.

I think the conservationalism he did was great. But I don't think it was necessary to go to the means in which he did in order to accomplish it.

I think the means he went about in doing that conservation had more to do with him getting his own personal thrills than anykind of conservation itself.

Quote Originally Posted by o_O View Post
    Even though, with him being an Aussie and me being a Kiwi, he's supposed to be my arch-rival, it totally sucks to see him go.

RIP Steve Irwin.
    wtf is a kiwi? Furry fruit?

Default ...

It's funny that there is such an outpouring of affection for him after his untimely death when it became trendy after he had been "out there" for awhile to diss him. I've talked to many Aussies about him in the past and at the time almost every one claimed they considered him as much an Aussie "hack" who gave them a bad rep as any skeptic American thought. Oh well.

At any rate, his overenthusiasm that sometimes seemed to border abuse was his way of trying to make wildlife as fun and exciting to his viewers as it was to him. And the money he made from his popularity was poured into conservation efforts including a ton of land he purchased for animal reserves. While he may have been a thrill-seeker, what he chose to make due with that was unselfishness to the greatest degree, and he should be commended and remembered for those efforts.

Anyway, I figured a snake would have gotten him. He was too familiar with crocs to have ever been taken out by one. I felt with snakes he seemed to believe in his own immortality while being significantly more out of his element with them.

A stingray is just f'ed up. Pulled the tail out of his own pierced heart though...totally badass.

VICIOUS GEEK SOOT~ヽ(`Д´)ノ scrumpleberry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bipper View Post

wtf is a kiwi? Furry fruit?

New Zealandish. :rolleyes2

I'm gonna seriously be like him when i grow up ^_^Rest in Peace mate

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    It's funny that there is such an outpouring of affection for him after his untimely death when it became trendy after he had been "out there" for awhile to diss him. I've talked to many Aussies about him in the past and at the time almost every one claimed they considered him as much an Aussie "hack" who gave them a bad rep as any skeptic American thought. Oh well.

At any rate, his overenthusiasm that sometimes seemed to border abuse was his way of trying to make wildlife as fun and exciting to his viewers as it was to him. And the money he made from his popularity was poured into conservation efforts including a ton of land he purchased for animal reserves. While he may have been a thrill-seeker, what he chose to make due with that was unselfishness to the greatest degree, and he should be commended and remembered for those efforts.

Anyway, I figured a snake would have gotten him. He was too familiar with crocs to have ever been taken out by one. I felt with snakes he seemed to believe in his own immortality while being significantly more out of his element with them.

A stingray is just f'ed up. Pulled the tail out of his own pierced heart though...totally badass.
    While I agree with all his efforts and passion (he was described to have a great deal of attachment to many many animals, not just crocs and snakes), I just want to say something about Australians. We did love him, and I know there were a minority that didn't, just because of the image he had potrayed internationally. Which I really didn't see a big deal in.

I can't believe what I saw on TV last night, whether you did like him or not. An English women actually said he got what he deserved, and that he was cruel to animals (which is not true, I can assure you). I guess it was fine in that nothing she said could be justified or backed up though -- but I can't believe you'd have such an opinion on someone like that, without ever meeting them or knowing fully what they have done for the world. Not to mention the fact that she had spoken out to the media about this just after his death.

I'm also not very fond of a lot of the American kids I see around a few forums I visit -- who are actually making jokes and laughing about this. What the hell? Someone has died.

Anyways, /endrant.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Let me pose another question here. Aside from all the good he did for wildlife and what not can you guys still back his lifestyle when he had a wife and two little kids to take care of.

Yes he obviously was a great guy to be around. But do you think he was a bit of a selfish person when he put himself in such harms way all the time when I am sure he knew the risks of his profession and that his life could be taken at any one instant and he still chose to do what he was doing even with the responsibilities he had to a family.

Quite honestly, i am not deeply saddened by his going. Sure, we all know The Crocidile Hunter, but i dont understand why EVERYONE is TOTALLY sad about his death, when other people who have been known had also died, but were given 5 minutes of spotlight on the nightly news, and then the next story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxx Power View Post
    So far playing WoW, I've shouted "ROFLCOPTER" on no less than fifteen occasions, danced as a bear at the end of a ship, and compared the Klu Klux Klan to cereal.

It's because he was an entertaining character to watch. And made something interesting that generally isn't known as being interesting.