Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If the system and the random encounters weren't annoying...

Banned

Default If the system and the random encounters weren't annoying...

How good would this game be if we assume that the system were more user-friendly (e.g. ability to use Cure1 at LV16), and the random encounters not as annoying?

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

How fun is any game when you use a gameshark to max out your stats and disable random encounters?

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

I think the DoS version was a lot more user-friendly than other versions of FFII, and I also think FFII DoS was more enjoyable in terms of gameplay than the other FFII versions.
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

'Gabby Hayes' big Bart's Friend Milhouse's Avatar

Random encounters and inability to use Cure 1 at level 16 are something I can put up with. What bugs me the most is the amount of time you have to spend levelling up your magic particularly the ones you can't use in the menu
    ...Geddit?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mobiletype View Post
    Random encounters and inability to use Cure 1 at level 16 are something I can put up with. What bugs me the most is the amount of time you have to spend levelling up your magic particularly the ones you can't use in the menu
    Actually, this is the only magic you'll ever need:

CURE
    LIFE
    HEAL
    EXIT
    FIRE
    ICE
    BOLT
    AERO

And these ones are nice too:

SAFE
    SHEL
    BSRK
    HAST
    FLAR
    HOLY
    ULTM

The rest is worthless. :rolleyes2

I disagree, bolt, ice and fire are useless at Level 1. If you are referring to when they are at level 16 then that is exactly my point. It takes waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long to level it up. I managed to complete the game with everything under level 5 apart from Cure
    ...Geddit?

Peter_20: Ultima is pretty much useless, it will do very low damage unless it's the DoS version and you've leveled up really much. Even then, I think Holy and Flare will do a lot more damage even on lower levels. As for your spell list, you forgot Blink (good defence together with Safe and Shell), Curse (greatly reduces the enemy's attack and defence) and Toad (instant kill if it hits). For leveling up purposes, Anti/Sap is a good spell for increasing your max MP (cast it on your own characters to drain their MP), and if you feel like it, Change can also be useful.
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

You really don't need Berserk AND Haste. It does intensify your damage a lot, but you can get by just fine only using the one.

Destroyer of Worlds DarkLadyNyara's Avatar

If you use magic in battle regularly, it will be as high as you need it. One mistake people make is assuming magic has to be at really high levels to be effective. No spell needs to be at level 16. That's just overkill. (Exept cure, maybe)

Peter_20: Ultima is pretty much useless, it will do very low damage unless it's the DoS version and you've leveled up really much. Even then, I think Holy and Flare will do a lot more damage even on lower levels.
    Ultima is only really powerful if you start preparing from the beginning of the game, and if you do that, it becomes superfluous. :rolleyes2

Banned

I disagree, bolt, ice and fire are useless at Level 1.
    Yeah, at LV1 they all suck with a huge passion, but FIRE, ICE and AERO *are* very useful against those damn Gigas dudes.

Yes, the elemental spells are great against Gigases and the Flan monsters. If you haven't leveled up your spells against the Gigases, it will be harder since you'll either need to use spell books themselves to cause damage or hope that your weapons will do critical hits and hurt the Gigases (I actually did the latter on the NES version).
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

ff2 was a good game

speaking of which, how does equipping a spell book actually aid you in a fight?
    ...Geddit?

Banned

speaking of which, how does equipping a spell book actually aid you in a fight?
    Spell Scrolls work as spells when used as items; a Fire Scroll will launch FIRE 8 on all enemies.

and can this be done infintely many times?
    ...Geddit?