Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Major next-gen console news'...

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

Default 'Major next-gen console news'...

...tonight at 12:01 AM, EST on www.joystiq.com

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/09/07/ma...coming-tonight

If today were March 31, I probably wouldn't be posting this. Considering the events happening over the next week (Devil May Cry 4 countdown on the website expires tomorrow, major Nintendo events around the world next week), the mind boggles at what could possibly happen.

Joystiq has brought us some great stories. If they say it's big, it probably is.

That Sony were playing a cruel joke about the PS3 delay, I hope :(

I'll have to be in bed by the time it happens, though. I guess I'll have to check tomorrow morning.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

How cruel. Luckily for me I'll be getting back from the sports bar at around that time tonight, so I'll still be awake. =3

Looks interesting. Thanks for the tip.
    "The most important and recognize player in the history of the country."

Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if I were as great as Paulo Wanchope.

Blog Entries

Wow, 12:01 Eastern! That's like, 12:01 my time!

Wow!

My bet goes towards it being something about the Wii console. As to what exactly? That Im stuck on.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by RiseToFall View Post
    My bet goes towards it being something about the Wii console. As to what exactly? That Im stuck on.
    Release date and price confirmation? That would be my bet on the matter, and it would probably be a real coup de grace to deliver such news right after Sony admitted to yet another failing.

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

One person predicted FFXIII going multiplatform, which is a very interesting suggestion. Wii news seems more likely, though. I'll be up at that time, though I might forget to check the site.

so what is this news, the one that says the Wii could be released by the end of this month? Eh, it's still just speculation

THE JACKEL
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9

Score: 0 out of 2 Dignified Pauper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Azar View Post
    One person predicted FFXIII going multiplatform, which is a very interesting suggestion. Wii news seems more likely, though. I'll be up at that time, though I might forget to check the site.
    very unlikely that XIII will be multiplatform considering none of the other systems will utilize PS3's power. Not that ANY system will be utilizing full power for a while.

I can't wait to see the end of the next-gen consoles and what sort of graphic implications they will have.

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

A lot of people say the PS3 is more powerful, but I've heard plenty of comparisons that show the 360 is better at a few things and pretty close to equal in other areas. Samuraid could probably explain it a lot better. Either way, the BluRay storage will make a big difference if Square actually uses all that space.

And the news?

Shipment of Broadway for Wii has been well underway; hint of power revealed

Posted Sep 8th 2006 12:01AM by Robert Summa
    Filed under: Nintendo Wii, Strategy, Competitive Gaming, Business

IBM has announced that their Broadway chip custom-designed for Nintendo's Wii console is not only already in Nintendo's hands but has been since July. "We have been shipping well within this quarter (July)," said Ron Martino, director of IBM Technology Collaboration Solutions. "In fact, we have shipped a significant volume in this quarter."

So what does this news mean to gamers who have been waiting patiently for a release date from Nintendo? Well, considering that Nintendo has had their hands on a large amount of the final Broadway chips since July, we can easily speculate that the Wii could feasibly be released within the next few weeks. Perhaps by the end of the month.

Nintendo has also confirmed their reception of IBM's chip: "The first chips are in our possession," said Genyo Takeda, Senior Managing Director/General Manager, Integrated Research & Development Division, Nintendo Co., Ltd. "Today's milestone marks the final stage of our drive to reach both core and nontraditional gamers with an inviting, inclusive and remarkable gaming experience."

When I asked Martino about the power behind the Broadway chip, all he could do was compare it to the Wii's predecessor, the GameCube. "Compared to the Gekko in the GameCube, it's 20 percent more power efficient. It also performs significantly better. The key point is that it is Power Architecture-based and custom-made and optimized for Nintendo," he said. "This is a critical milestone for us at IBM. We have been very pleased with the entire development project."

I pressed Martino to compare Broadway to the other consoles they've had an integral part in developing for and he wouldn't budge, only commenting on what Nintendo was able to offer. With this news and Nintendo confirming the shipment of "6 million systems to retailers around the world between its launch in the fourth quarter of 2006 and the end of its fiscal year on March 31, 2007," we fully expect Nintendo to make an official announcement next week during their event in New York City. And as previously mentioned, we expect a release date far sooner than what has been projected.
    I seriously doubt this is going to happen, though. I'm betting on an mid-October launch at the very earliest, with November still a likely candidate. November just seems to be the month for launching consoles.

..a Russian mountain cat. Yamaneko's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Joystiq tends to exaggerate everything in order to get as many hits as possible. They're not really considered a credible news source when it comes to their assumptions.

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dreddz View Post
    That Sony were playing a cruel joke about the PS3 delay, I hope
    The delays will only get worse once the defective systems start pouring in and they have to cut shipments to send out replacements