Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A FFIV no equipment challenge

pinchpinchpinchpinchpinch ScottNUMBERS's Avatar

Default A FFIV no equipment challenge

...would be quite difficult but let's forget about that concept because I'm going to try;

A Final Fantasy IV lowest possible level challenge.

Rules:
    There is one one rule; Experience from random encounters is not allowed.

I don't intend to complete this challenge all the way I predict that it will be impossible to defeat Zeromus, but I will give it a damn good shot and try to get as far as I possibly can.

I've already started this challenge here's what's happened so far;

I got through the boring easy parts, Mist Dragon, that eight legged octopus thing etc. and now I'm beggining to feel the burn a little. I didn't expect Antlion to put up so much of a fight, I had no trouble with him, but I actually had to use three or four potions - against Antlion!

Not exactly challenging yet but it will certainly get harder. I'll work on it some tonight and update if anyone's interested.

Blog Entries

Give it your best shot, baby! I'll follow your progress!

You won't make it past Scarmiglione-this is my prediction.

Sigless

I got some more done, here's the lowdown.

After the Antlion I went back to Rosa and gave her the Sand Ruby, endured the story parts for the millionth time then set off on my journey to Mt. hobs, met Yang and defeated that poor excuse of a boss - Mom Bomb who went down just as easy as it would on any normal save file.

After I egressed the mountain then proceeded to Faboul. This was a good place to get some forced exp and gil via those guards from Baron, which - may I add - were easy as pie.

Now it ws time to get on the boat to persue some much bigger game - Scar-what's-his-face. Well at least I thought I was persuing bigger game, untill it came to actually fighting him - he was pathetic (Yeah, that's right oh ye of little faith). All I did was keep Blink up on Cecil and Attack with him and cast Black Magic with Tellah (I managed to squeeze in one or two spells with Palom and Porom while they were still alive).

Still the challenge has not begun yet, although, the difficulty is about to raise significantly as equipment prices rise and my gil decreases. My next victim will be Yang.

Levels so far.
    Cecil Lv1
    Palom Lv 11
    Telah Lv20
    Porom Lv11

Update!

Yang
    This guy was pretty easy, although I was fighting him for ages, it turns out you have to get Cecil to deal the final blow.

Baigan
    First time 'round I dived into the fight with no preperation or strategy, this just turned my party into a messy pile of bodies fairly quickly. I decided to have another try and planned my strategy this time. I placed Cecil, Tellah and Porom in the back row, I destroyed Baigans arm (The one that hits hard) Baigan easily disposed of the twins, so it was just Cecil, Yang and Tellah left. Cecil Covered Tellah and gave healing, until he ran out of MP - which was fast as he was level 1 at which point he switched to potions. Yang attacked and gave Ethers to Tellah when needed, while Tellah alternated between casting Reflect and an "aga" spell on himself.

Levels so far:
    Cecil Lv9
    Tellah Lv21
    Porom Lv11
    Polom Lv11
    Yang Lv15
    Last edited by ScottNUMBERS; 09-11-2006 at 08:26 PM.

This sounds pretty cool. Any new progress?

I have faith that Zeromus is beatable. In fact, I'd be willing to wager money on that. There is always a way to beat a boss. Especially if you don't have any restrictions on equipment, magic, or items.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The giver of *hugs* boys from the dwarf's Avatar

so scottyboi? (i will never call you that again.)

how are you doing so far?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr3x_RRJdd4
    ...*holds up free hugs sign.*

I sure hope you have not gave up yet. Keep going! ^_^

Hmm, now I want to do this challenge . . .

lomas de chapultepec Recognized Member eestlinc's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

you should share tips and experiences with Goldenboco.

Free-range Human Recognized Member Lawr's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Valvalis will crush you.
    placeholder_text.jpeg

Resident Fire Emblem Fan Elite Lord Sigma's Avatar

I predict that you'll probably are going to lose more than once against Barbariccia.

Free-range Human Recognized Member Lawr's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Same thing.
    placeholder_text.jpeg

Update!
    (Starting from the Dark Elf fight on wards as I can't remember anything before then ><)

Gil trouble!

At this point I am starting to feel the burn of not fighting random battles, no gil - not to mention losing gil after every fight. After a quick run through Mythril town I grabbed some Mythril items lying around and managed to scrape up some nice gil which allowed me to buy a new Armour piece and Sword for Cecil along with some essential healing items.

The Dark Elf

I always had trouble with this boss without a disadvantage, but I just stuck to my old strategy of hacking away at him whilst healing with Tellah and as luck would have it I prevailed after a few tries. :</>D

Tower of Zot

It was hard to decide whether to farm the area for Treasure Chests or leave them in fear of being attacked by brutal fiends that would leave my party as a very thin smear on the ground. So, I came across a chest and I gave in, I thought I was dead as soon as I saw that a monster poped out, but I actually handled the monster (Although it left me on my last legs) and nabed myself a Fire Sword for Cecil. that was the only problem traveling through this area, I found other chests that yeilded only Treasure and made it to the Save point at the top safely.

The Magus Sisters

Easy. Focus on the chubby one and this job is as good as done.

Barbariccia

I tried it once with no effort (I didn't even use a tent after the Magus Sisters) but as you can imagine at low levels with all your MP slightly defiled, and with shoddy equipments this fight didn't go too smooth. She's nothing a good strategy won't sort though, I'll have her beat by tonight.

Sorry about the late update and sort of reviving a semi-old thread, I'll have more motivation to complete this challenge and update more freaquently now that some people are interested.

Edit~ Barbariccia 2nd attempt

I don't dissapoint, it would seem you over-estimated her difficulty - she weren't all that hard. I was somehow able to very accurately estimate when to use Jump to get rid of her Tornado wall, this is what won me the fight. I kept Cecil in the back row and Covered Rosa while she tops up my HPs with Cura. The rest of the team just hacked away at Barbariccia using items when neccessary. She only managed to squeeze one "Tornado" spell in due to my timing with Jump and her normal attacks are pretty feeble so Rosa was more than able to heal and even throw a Slow spell here and there.
    Last edited by ScottNUMBERS; 11-26-2006 at 08:28 PM.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Good job! I want to see you carry this on to the end!