Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: English or Japanese??

The Hardcore Gentleman Emerald weapon's Avatar

Default English or Japanese??

I finally saw it in English and to be anost their voices made me cringe,they were totally diffrent from what i had in mind especailly vincints,so i ask you's this whats better??for me its japanese

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I thought they did a good job on both versions.

Except...Mena Suvari.

I enjoyed both versions. Except Aeris in English... bleh too high pitched. I thought the English people did a good job. Especially Steve Burton (Cloud) and Quinten Flynn (Reno). Sephiroth's voice I thought was better in Japanese, but George Newburn did an okay job.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, Mena sounds like a robot.

I haven't even listened to it in Japanese yet, and probably never will unless I learn it. Subtitles suck. English ftw.

good evening, miss Tifa's Real Lover(really's Avatar

jappanesse voices were better

I would probably go play video games or have sex (the usual) - Nominus Experse

my mom would be like "ve? yo te dije, el internet no es bueno."

"seriously, my mom tells me "que tu hase en eso el dia entero?" and im like "mami yo toy hablando con people" xD. spanglish, ftw." ~ liz

Usually I watch films in their original language, and incidentally that's how I first saw Advent Children. However, it really is advantageous to see a film like this when you can take in the stunning animation and backdrops and start to enjoy the action sequences without the slight distraction of subtitles.

For live action though, subtitles really don't bother me and dubbing is almost exclusively awful.
    . . . if someone had come and told me . . . that they would leave my life whole, it would have left me cold: several hours or several years of waiting is all the same when you have lost the illusion of being eternal.

-Jean Paul Sartre, "The Wall"

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zeromus_X View Post
    Yeah, Mena sounds like a robot.
    That sounds about right. I still haven't fully watched the English version of the movie (I have it and I've watched parts of it, but not the whole movie), but I think I'm just too used to the Japanese version. The English translation is done well, I'll have to say, but I'm not sure about some of the voice acting. Steve Burton isn't bad at Cloud, but I think he sounds somewhat too high-pitched at times, at least compared to what I've used to hear in the English version of KH1 and the Japanese version of FFVII AC. I didn't really like Sephiroth's English voice in AC. It sounded quite bad, and I prefer his Japanese voice. Well, even Lance Bass did a better job as Sephiroth, IMHO. I'll probably comment more when I've watched the English version.
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

Quote Originally Posted by Zeromus_X View Post
    Yeah, Mena sounds like a robot. :(
    That's because Aerith was a robot. It was supposed to be a spoiler for the upcoming EC game, but you figured it out.

I prefer it in English because I don't understand Japanese so it's more practicle.

I don't, however, like "Dilly Dally Shilly Shally".

I thought the English dub was very good. They were all capable voice actors and I thought they fit their parts perfectly fine. Since I liked the English dub I see no reason to watch it in Japanese with subs just for the sake of it.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by roto13-ness View Post
    I prefer it in English because I don't understand Japanese so it's more practicle.

I don't, however, like "Dilly Dally Shilly Shally".
    Yup, that's pretty much what I was going to say. But, I'd also like to add that some of the Japanese female voices annoyed me at times.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I've only watched it in Japanese and I had no idea what was happening. I'm going to say that the English version would be better for people like me.

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Meat Puppet View Post
    I've only watched it in Japanese and I had no idea what was happening. I'm going to say that the English version would be better for people like me.
    That's why I have subtitles on. Actually, both the English and Finnish subtitles on the DVD are based on the Japanese version, so it's almost easier for me to be watching the movie with Japanese voices since there aren't any subtitles for the English voices.
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Although I'm normally all about the japanese voicetracks with english subtitles in most movies, I've never actually watched the full movie with anything other than the english voices. Given the pace of some of the action scenes I think I might find trying to keep up with subtitles distracting. I should try it subtitled at least once though. I didn't care for a lot of the english voice actors myself, although I honestly thought the guy who did Sephiroth did a great job.