Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 378910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wing(s)

FFXIV Character

Laurelin Kementari (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Setzer Gabianni View Post
    I know nothing about him tbh..only that he is an outcast ;P

I guess I'm being a bit anti Ashe here. I'll get the game sure, but I just want to huff and puff for now.
    To be honest I don't know much about Llyud either, other than the fact that he's an outcast, like you said, the fact that the trailer described him as 'heartless' and that he has a Mist Quickening with Angel Wings, which is cool.

And the text in my sig are the lines spoken by Llyud in the opening of the Jump Festa trailer. Don't know why, but it's those lines that made me obsessed with his character. Another reason why I'm dying to play RW.

New screenshots(some are FMV)

RPGamer > Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings > Screenshots

RPGamer > Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings > Screenshots

IGN put up a review of this game

IGN: Reader Review of: Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings

According to most fans of the series, Final Fantasy XII was a mythical game, one that surely marked the path of the Playstation 2. Square-Enix, following a strategy that seems to have become quite common these days, released this sequel which, despite not following the gameplay of the original game, allows you to know what happened to Vaan and all his friends after the end of the first adventure.

Having become a Sky Pirate, Vaan seems to explore the world alongside with his friend, Penelo. This is where the game starts, with Penelo and Vaan, along with Basch and Fran, enter a mysterious dungeon. After facing some enemies and removing two strange crystals, that temple crumbles and the two friends take different paths. Soon after, two others characters join your party, with them helping Vaan and Penelo facing the following battles. This, eventually, leads to a point where the main characters learns that his crystal allows the summoning of creatures, provided he is at particular sites. Such feature becomes the main characteristic of this title, with the abilities of all characters becoming less important and more emphasis being given to summoning.

After a few minutes of play, you'll get to see an adapted version of the "License" grid, this time containing only summons. Now that your characters can equip anything they want at free will, most abilities and spells are learned by level up, with the crystals won from each missions being solely required to unlock new creatures. At first, you get to summon small creatures such as the Rogue Tomato, and you can gain simple access to creatures such as Chocobo or Ixion, with Ifrit, Leviathan or Bahamut coming much later. You can generally summon more than one of weakest ones, but the main monsters, of which Ifrit is a clear example, can only be put once in each party. As for enemy parties, they can sometimes have other configurations, which turns out being the usual case of a cheating AI.

Alongside with these monsters, you'll have to take up to five characters to each battle, which serve not only as summoners but also as fighters, usually more powerful than the minor creatures. The rooster contains your party from the previous game, along with some new characters, one of which is an interesting surprise. All of them have their classical abilities, which can either be used manually or set for automatic use, via the famous "Gambits".

In this game, such feature was simplified to the point where it is only possible to activate a single Gambit at a particular time, which is used in times of need. Penelo, even if she has her healing spell active, she'll only use it if your characters are damage. The same goes for Vaan, whose 3-hit combo is only used when attacked by enemies. You can also use all these features manually, but they have a cool-down time and may prove only useful in particular conditions.

Characters are way more limited than before. Each of them now has a particular task, being only used for that same task. Penelo can't strike physically, Vaan can't cast any sort of magic and so on. This limitation, which can be disliked by fans of the original game, is quite good and provides an interesting uniqueness to every character, making some of them more useful than others, depending on what mission you'll be facing.

You're only required to face 45 predetermined missions to complete the main storyline, with the other ones granting you the opportunity to use secret summons or, most frequently, acquire rare items, which can later be used to equip your characters or create new weapons. If you bear in mind that there's a single airship and just one town in this game, such bonus are actually important, as they add more places to the game, locations which turn out being important later in the game. Be aware that missions generally have simple targets, such as defeating all enemies or simply beating a particular unit.

Focusing in battles, they continue to be performed in real-time, making this one of the few RTS titles available for this console. The upper screen is usually used to display the map, where all units can be seen. As for the lower one, it is used for showing all the action and controlling the characters. However, you can switch their position by pressing the L key, allowing you to quickly jump to a certain place of the map.

Unfortunately, unlike most people could think, this type of gameplay scheme wasn't very well designed. You can either move the entire group, a character and all summons associated with him, a single unit or a selected group, but since all selections are undone each time you move them or assign a target, it turns out being quite hard to provide characters with valuable targets. Oddly, the game even seems to have been adapted to this feature, as almost every mission can be achieved by moving the entire party as if it was an unimportant blob of strikers. The four control keys allow you to have an easier time when it comes to selecting particular people, but there's no way to overcome the de-selection problem, which is quite annoying if you're trying to do something more strategical. Eventually, you'll reach a point where you'll do nothing more than using 'X' to select the entire party, which you'll be controlling at all times.

The summon sites, available in most maps, not only allow you to call for new creatures, until you've used a certain amount of points, but may also allow you to given instant level ups to your summoned creatures. Strangely, such improvement does not reflect the final level of each monster, serving as a temporary improvement that has no final interest. Unless spent on your major strikers or healing monsters, I doubt you'll even see a noticeable difference between upgrades, which is rather disappointing.

As most RPGs (or, if you like, RTS titles), this game has barely any replay value. Sure, there's a secret ending and many Espers to unlock, along with and several missions to play, but all these tasks can be accomplished in less than 24 hours, even if you're not the most skilled player around. Even getting level ups is easy, with most enemies adapting to your current level and providing more experience than before, which eventually grants a single level up for mission played, making it easy to max out everyone.

If you think about the original game, you'll have an easy time understand that one of its greatest features was the graphics. Such feature was not mimed in this one, as the graphics are usually bad and without many details. Frequently shown as zoomed in, you can see large squares that compose each character, which looks plainly bad. During dialogues, characters are seen in what resembles a manga depiction, which is slightly better but does not compensate for the previously stated issue.

Fortunately, the sound quality of the previous game has its equivalent in this game. While it doesn't have any voice acting, some tunes are already know of the fans, with newer ones also being added to the game. If you liked the original ones, the musics and effects presented in this game will pose you no trouble at all, as you'll enjoy them more often than not.

Requiring no knowledge of the Japanese language (but it is advisable you have some, or you won't understand the story), this is a game that every Final Fantasy XII fan will enjoy, despite its lack of replay value. Others players may opt for more interesting games, as this one follows the storyline of the original title and may sound unappealing to those who haven't played it.

Vaan - "Hey, you!"
    Penelo - "Yeah, you! The one reading this sig at this very moment!"
    Vaan - "Interested in playing FFXII International Zodiac Job system?"
    Ashe - "But you have no knowledge of the Japanese language?"
    Fran - "....We could help...."
    Balthier - "That's right, Fran! Just click on Crossblades' thread on the very bottom of this signature and it will show you all license grid translations, magicks and tecks locations, and other changes that were made!"
    Basch - "Don't forget though. Swap Magic is needed to play this game if you don't own a japanese PS2."
    Vaan - "Also remember that if you played the original, you'll have an easier time playing the international version. We hope you enjoy the International Zodiac Job System experience. See ya then!"

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fan...ther-info.html

STILL Anti Balthier Setzer Gabianni's Avatar

Final Fantasy XII Revenant Wings on the way - Advent Children.forums

Read this thread guys. Seems one of my fears may have been incorrect, that I may have got the wrong sort of info off someone.

Just reading the review..characters only having specific tasks? :/

Quote Renmiri on FFXII
    I bitch about the game a lot, mainly for the lack of story and weak characters, but it is still the best of the series out there.
    She loves it more then X!

Quote Originally Posted by Setzer Gabianni View Post
    Just reading the review..characters only having specific tasks? :/
    Yeah, unlike XII, RW will have character specific abilities now. In fact, someone from the Gamefaqs forums who is currently playing the game provided me with an ability list and jobs for each playable character, not including mist Knacks and accessory abilities however. If you don't want to be spoiled, then don't look on the bottom

(SPOILER)
    Vaan - Thief
    Dual Attack: Does two attacks to a single enemy
    Sprint : Increases movement speed
    Steal Speed: Takes one enemy's agility
    Steal Toughness: ^ " " defence
    Steal Power: ^ " " strength
    Time Killer: Adds Stop effect to your attack
    Speed Star: Increases your attack speed

Penelo - White Mage/Dancer
    Curaga: Cures HP of allies within an area
    Faith Dance: Increases magic power
    Esunaga: Cure bad statuses for allies within an area
    Brave Dance: Increases strength
    Raise: Brings back one knocked out ally
    Donac/Don't Act Dance: Stops the enemy from attacking
    Holy: Holy magic on one enemy

Llyud - Dragoon
    Jump: Attacks all enemies in an area from a distance
    Rebirth: Same as Raise, but takes some of your HP
    Lancet: Drains enemy's HP
    Climate: Takes your HP, and cures allies' HP
    Banishaga: Makes allies within an area transparent
    Crimson Wings: Attacks enemy in front of you (goes through to the ones behind them too)
    Vitality: Takes HP, and raises allies' stats

Kytes - Black Mage
    Firaga
    Blizzaga
    Bio
    Thundaga
    Stonaga: Earth damage
    Charm Magic: Increases Kytes' magic strength
    Flare: Damage to one enemy

Filo - Hunter, I guess
    Sonic Wave: Attacks the enemies in front of you
    Guard Trap: Sets a trap that damages enemy and lowers defence
    Drift: Increase team's movement speed
    Speed Trap: Trap, lowers speed
    Decoy Bit: Absorbs damage to your team
    Attack Trap: Trap, lowers strength
    Overdrive: Big increase for all Filo's stats, but rebounds (decreased stats after a bit)

Fran - Ranger
    Blind Arrow: Puts Blind effect on next attack
    Sleep Arrow: Puts Sleep effect on next attack
    Silence Arrow: Put Silence effect on next attack
    Confu Arrow: Puts Confuse effect on next attack
    Dispelga: Takes off the enemys' positive statuses
    Volley Shot: Long series of attacks on one enemy
    Blessing of the Woods: Cures party's HP and negative statuses

Balflear - Gunner
    Tri-Shot: 3 attacks on a single enemy
    Blast Shot: Pushes back one enemy
    Sniper Eye: Increase attack range
    Quick Silver: Increase strength
    Aim Legs: Stops one enemy's movements
    Aim Arms: Stops one enemy's attacks
    Piercing Bullet: Makes your next attack go through to the enemies behind the target

Ashe - Time Mage
    Slowga: Slow on enemies within an area
    Charge Bomb: Increase attack range
    Hastaga: Haste on allies within an area
    Regenaga: Regen on allies within an area
    Spread Bomb: Attack
    Telepo: Brings the summons on Ashe's team to her side
    Comet: Damage to enemies within an area

Basch - Knight
    Protectaga: Protect on allies within an area
    Shellaga: Shell on allies within an area
    Flash: Piercing attack on enemies in front of you
    Clear Mind: Cures negative statuses + Regen
    Calm Defence: Defence up, strength down
    Cover: Basch takes damage for his team
    Shining Ray: Damage to enemies within an area

Ba'Gamnan - Dark Knight
    Wild Swing: Attacks surrounding enemies
    Drain: Drains one enemy's HP
    Berserk: Berserk on one ally
    Bad Breath: Negative statuses on enemies in front of you
    Darkness: Takes HP and attacks one enemy
    Ba'Ga-Drain: Drains one enemy's magic
    Dark Surge: Attacks enemies within an area
    Last edited by Crossblades; 08-14-2007 at 06:05 PM.

Vaan - "Hey, you!"
    Balthier - "That's right, Fran! Just click on Crossblades' thread on the very bottom of this signature and it will show you all license grid translations, magicks and tecks locations, and other changes that were made!"
    Basch - "Don't forget though. Swap Magic is needed to play this game if you don't own a japanese PS2."
    Vaan - "Also remember that if you played the original, you'll have an easier time playing the international version. We hope you enjoy the International Zodiac Job System experience. See ya then!"

FFXIV Character

Personally, I like the fixed tasks. And we have to remember: it's a game for newcomers to the RPG genre. So I see it as logical there's no thing like License Board/Sphere Grid in it.

Further along, it seems like the (SPOILER)Ashe and Basch get married part was false. Some other dudes finished the game and said there's no such a thing in the ending, or even the secret one. There's one romance pairing and that's it. Just saying this for those who don't know this. Can't really confirm it, but I'm believing it. That part seemed to be a bit too extreme, anyway.

And now I've recently read that Toriyama liked working on RW and that he wouldn't mind making a second one like it. Interesting...

I've heard a lot of stuff about the game lately, actually. Lot's of good story stuff as well. Really looking forward to it. Even if the gameplay is too easy, the story sounds awesome. Seems like they really gave attention to sky-pirates this time. Yay for that.

Course, I need to finish XII... I should start on getting past Ozmone plains...

3 japanese reviewed the game 9/10, 8.5/10 and 9/10 (source ign)
    IGN: FFXII: Revenant Wings Reviewed

=)
    finished: ff3ds, ff4,ff5, ff7,ff8,ff9,ff10,ff tactics and advance

No release date announced, but RW is confirmed for NA release

RPGamer - News Bulletin - Square Enix Brings a Foursome to North America

Revenant Wings is a follow-up to the PlayStation 2's blockbuster hit Final Fantasy XII. In the exclusive DS title, completely controllable with the DS stylus, players will be able to control massive armies and utilize special moves and Gambits. North America will be seeing this title hit shelves by winter.

Vaan - "Hey, you!"

Articles
    Blog Entries

Anybody know when the it comes out? If that's already been mentioned I'm sorry for not reading this whole thread. Just don't hit me for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge7 View Post
    Anybody know when the it comes out? If that's already been mentioned I'm sorry for not reading this whole thread. Just don't hit me for it.
    Read my post above yours >_>

Vaan - "Hey, you!"

I have just finished the game and I loved it! It's not "the best game evaarrr" but I would recommend it to anyone who would like a fun game for the DS. And if you're a FFXII fan, you should really get this. There's so much character interaction in this game that it seems you get to know more of them here than in XII.

Oh and for those people complaining that there was no love story in XII. Fear not, Revenant Wings has it although I'm glad it's not as cheesy as X ( ) and it's not the only thing you will hear about.

Anyone else here you have finished the game? Would love to have a discussion regarding the story/gameplay with anyone here.

Congratz on finishing the game! i can't read jap so i got to wait
    finished: ff3ds, ff4,ff5, ff7,ff8,ff9,ff10,ff tactics and advance

Vaan - "Hey, you!"

FFXIV Character

I'm gonna import it as soon as a site still has it after the American release. XD Looks great. I believe there was an english trailer of the game released at E3 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Elpizo View Post
    I'm gonna import it as soon as a site still has it after the American release. XD Looks great. I believe there was an english trailer of the game released at E3 as well.
    You mean this trailer?

Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings - Movies

Vaan - "Hey, you!"

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by Crossblades View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Elpizo View Post
    You mean this trailer?

Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings - Movies
    Yes, that one. A good trailer, I find. I just love 'Battle for Freedom'.