Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Official Wii Price and other stuff

Historically, UK gamers tend to get screwed when it comes to console prices, with new systems costing as much in Pounds as they do in Dollars. If that ends up being the case again, I'll seriously reconsider buying a Wii at launch, since £250 is far too much when you factor in having to buy extra Wiimotes and games. On the other hand, if we don't get screwed by the retailers, we should get the Wii for about £135, which is a fair price for a new console. We'll have to wait for the UK's RRP to be announced, but I think it's a decent price for you guys in the States.
    "The most important and recognize player in the history of the country."

Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if I were as great as Paulo Wanchope.

Quote Originally Posted by Cz View Post
    Historically, UK gamers tend to get screwed when it comes to console prices, with new systems costing as much in Pounds as they do in Dollars. If that ends up being the case again, I'll seriously reconsider buying a Wii at launch, since £250 is far too much when you factor in having to buy extra Wiimotes and games. On the other hand, if we don't get screwed by the retailers, we should get the Wii for about £135, which is a fair price for a new console. We'll have to wait for the UK's RRP to be announced, but I think it's a decent price for you guys in the States.
    Dont hold your breath, not once in history has the UK had a fair price to the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreddz View Post
    I dont want this to turn into a PS3 vs Wii thread, but the PS3 is much more value for money.

So do you want to tell us why it's more value for the asking price?

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Raebus View Post
    I dont want this to turn into a PS3 vs Wii thread, but the PS3 is much more value for money.

Probably because of all the extra technology that nobody gives a damn about.
    "As the days go by, we face the increasing inevitability that we are alone in a godless,
    uninhabited, hostile and meaningless universe. Still, you've got to laugh, haven't you?"

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Rainecloud View Post

Except all of us that give a damn about it and actually want a next-gen console.

Although the price of the Wii seems reasonable, two points. One; how long will the Wii remain a competetive console? Two; I'm not personally that interested in it. Yes, I would buy it for around £130 to £150, but realistically we'll be looking at over £200, most likely around £250. I do not consider that worth it for a console which I'm not interested in very much.

So I suppose we shall have to see what the UK RRP is.

Quote Originally Posted by Yamaneko View Post
    This hasn't been confirmed by Nintendo. It's supposed "insider" information aquired by the NY Times. Nintendo is holding a press conference as I type this. We should wait for an official announcement from them before believing anything.
    AKA it was leaked so they could get a consumer responce with out much backlash.

I think it is too much; the xbox will win.

Bipper

Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainecloud View Post

Except all of us that give a damn about it and actually want a next-gen console.

I want a next gen console aswell, I also want a console that has more than 1 or 2 games that I'd be willing to pay for.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well then you'll want to wait a couple of years before you buy ANY of them.

Quote Originally Posted by JKTrix View Post
    With the Wii, you're getting the system, the plug, 2 parts of a controller (that are sold separately otherwise), the sensor bar, and a compilation of games. It's a good value.
    Controller part 1 + Controller part 2 + sensor bar = controller

I'm sorry, but I don't think the controller's much use at all without all parts included. And I know it's no use without the sensor. I agree with Yamaneko that it's going to be too expensive to get a second controller, especially when launching with party games.

no matter how important something might be (ie. a giant meteor is in the sky and threatening the planet) you can always just stop in at the Golden Saucer and gamble on some dodos running around a track.
    --SmileyBoss(GameFAQs)

Did they mention anything in the press conference about the Wii coming with that super-sexy virtual console controller?

Because this looks to be the best controller I ever seen.

And did they confirm that it would work with Gamecube controllers too?

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

**Edit: to reply to Erdrick Holmes, the Classic controller (what they call it) is not included with the system (I think it's $20 separately), and they confirmed a long time ago that you can plug any Gamecube controller into it.**

Nintendo is not competing in the same areas that Sony and Microsoft are. Sony and Microsoft are targeting each other in this 'war', while Nintendo is targeting the consumer and people who don't play games. It's pretty obvious that Nintendo isn't trying to keep up with the other guys in the 'traditional' sense, so really making competitive comparisons between Nintendo and the others isn't very balanced.

Quote Originally Posted by MageLuingil View Post
    Controller part 1 + Controller part 2 + sensor bar = controller

I'm sorry, but I don't think the controller's much use at all without all parts included. And I know it's no use without the sensor. I agree with Yamaneko that it's going to be too expensive to get a second controller, especially when launching with party games.
    While this is mostly true, they're still separate devices with their own costs.

For most party games, like WarioWare and Wii Sports, you only need the Wiimote, which is $10 less than the 360's wireless controllers. And if we're gonna be making PS3 references, there's quite a bit of unusual technology inside all the parts of the Wiimote that could possibly cost more than what Nintendo is selling it for. I think Nintendo may actually be biting the bullet a little on this.

I can deal with people who just aren't interested. Perhaps they're just turning a blind eye to all the stuff going on in hopes of getting the PS3, among whatever reasons that I won't try to debate right now. That's fine. I want a PS3 too, but I don't think there are enough things going for it that make it worth getting immediately. In a year or two, it will definitely be worth it. On the other hand, Wii will have multiple things available right away that I want, so I will be picking it up at my soonest convenience.

In all I do believe that all this hype for all the systems is pretty premature, since few (if any) of us have actually played with them. It will be a while before we know if this will have the legs to support itself, but I would still be fine with having 20 years worth of gaming history in one 'Apple White' package. Heck, people in another thread are going 'ZOMG 7000 PS1 GAMES 4 PSP I GET PSP NOW!!', I should be justified in this.

Quick note to end it: Twilight Princess on the GC will *not* be available on the same day as the Wii version. Instead, TPC will be released in December. Nintendo has their own style of evil genius.

I agree with you on a lot of that, actually. I'm not getting any of the systems right off; I don't have a 360, I won't get a Wii right off, and I won't get a PS3 right off. But I never did quite warm up to the idea of the 'wiimote'. It's an interesting idea ... I'll have to see how it's used before I pass judgement.

As for Twilight Princess ... well, I've waited this long already, I don't think another month will kill me. Much.

no matter how important something might be (ie. a giant meteor is in the sky and threatening the planet) you can always just stop in at the Golden Saucer and gamble on some dodos running around a track.
    --SmileyBoss(GameFAQs)

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

Indeed. Nintendo is pushing the whole 'playing is believing' thing, so maybe they're going to be having lots of demo stations in stores for people to try.

More opinions on the Wii launch announcement
    http://www.skepticalgaming.com/2006/...-news-wrap-up/

$250 is exactly what I expected.

I'll still wait to see who gets what games. Though Nintendo says they're also targeting the "hardcore gamer", they seem to be very intent on making my mom play the Wii too. I'm afraid the Wii will get a lot of games may be fun to play but have no narratives and will therefore be boring to me. And lots of party games. And after I buy all these Wii controllers I won't have any money to pay people to hang out with me anyway.

I'm one of the people who does not think that the gaming industry is going to die and crash and everything sucks and the Wii's new approach needs to save it. I am not bored with games that are "staples" in their genres, in fact I'm more excited for more games coming out this year than any year before.

Soo... It will all be about waiting for me. Probably waiting to see who gets the most RPGs.

..a Russian mountain cat. Yamaneko's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

No DVD video playback. Sorry guys.