Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Afterthoughts on X-2

Default Afterthoughts on X-2

I got X-2 christmas 2004 and never played it past chapter 1 back then because I was sucked into 11 alot after that, anyway after ordering the international version ( because I played through x and wanted international and also decided to get both as a combo when finding out about all the added stuff ) I finaly decided to do a test run of the NA version last week ( to prepare for the tedious task of the kanji version ) and since playing both back to back for the last month I have some new views on the two games.

I love X the more I play it now, I think X is probably my favorite in the series next to 5 ( because of the jobs ), but I felt that X ( int helps this area ) missed alot of "end game" content or sidequests, the monster capturing while time consuming is nothing compared to the wealth of stuff X-2 has in it, but they are both very diferent games world aside, I mean the battle engine and story have changed vastly compared to what x was...or did it ?

I must confess I have not got 100% on my first play through, in fact I only got around 77% but that is what new game + is for, anyway its safe to say there is still tons of hours for me to fully explore x-2 to its fullest but one thing I have noticed is alot of people bash ( and I am perfectly ok with anyones opinion even if they think x-2 is [img]/xxx.gif[/img][img]/xxx.gif[/img][img]/xxx.gif[/img][img]/xxx.gif[/img] ) x-2 saying its all slutty women and a happy cheery mood, that yuna has changed etc, now I wont argue that the characters have changed, they have but to say x-2 is a disney childs mood story I personaly believe is false, in fact I would say looking back that SOME of x-2 is much much more sinister or dark than what x was.

I wont branch fully into x story here but one of the things I loved was how they basicly expose "organised" religion for ignorant brainwashed sheep of spira to be hypocrisy, how we learn that waka opens his mind in the end and there is alot of reflection to real world issues ( even his racist views toward rikku ) around that part of the game, hell auron is full of bitter spite when it comes to yevon for most of the game and we learn the truth in the end, I really did love this part of the story.

Getting back to X-2, as I said I was not sucked into X-2 at the start and it took me getting to chapter 2 to fall in love with it ( and of course the fact dark knight is put up to where it belongs unlike how they butchered it in 11 ), infiltrating bevelle is what did it for me.

The minute you enter high bridge and enter the main building and revisit the cloister you know something in this game has changed, that the mood has taken a much sicker and twisted turn of events and it only gets more horrible as you go along. While X exposed Yevon for being corrupt bastards, it does not exactly go to the depths ( literly 100 hehe ) that x-2 does even the music in this part is pretty haunting ( try putting disquiet track on a hq system and wow its pretty nasty and mood filled and secrets ), this whole damn area is so cool to me and I am sure what is in this game is not nearly all of the secrets this place holds. For those of you who have played this I think you know the scope and how dark this place really is, especialy a certain part with banners and things flying around, for me the whole place makes this game and I never got sick of that late game side quest.

This game for alot of parts does have an upbeat mood and tons of humor, personaly I did laugh out loud at some of the parts in this game, and again looking back I really think SE got the mood switching parts just right, like how chapter 1 is then 2 then it switches back to humor etc, yea most is upbeat I admit but I do believe chapter 2 is much darker then some of what x had in it.

Thoughts ?

And I personaly hold x-2 as one of my fav ff titles now, it just took a playthrough to get into more for me.
    Redemption is a word that has no meaning here, your lord and master is my dog and we feed him. Your journey takes you inside your own nerve centre and exists through your soul, life or death they both have their purpose, leaving a trail of destruction is both easier and more effective when the ultimate goal is not disclosed that way everyone in your way may be your final chance for sport, like this one. I hear what you say and although the words are there, I think that I can only truely understand you when I hear you scream those words.

-Biohazard: The Catalysis

Lives in a zoo Recognized Member Renmiri's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Aye... A frequent joke on the thread "You know you played too much X-2 when" is

.. when you start liking the game.

The game definitely takes some getting used to. The J-pop soundtrack. The "Charlie's Angels / girly feel. Only 3 playable characters, all female....

I like it a lot but X is still my favorite. But yeah, the battle engine in X-2 is better than in X and Dark Mage is a sweet armor (I refuse to call them dresspheres). And I even got to like some of the soundtrack. Guess I played it too much already
    Me and my kids have dragon eggs:

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I didn't feel I wasted my money on it.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Enjoyed every last minute of it.

Quote Originally Posted by ~SapphireStar~ View Post
    Me too! Awesome game!

"People Always Lie" - House MD.

Member of the KH Trinity

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

I had fun playing the game. It wasn't excellent or as good as many other FFs, IMHO, but it had its enjoyable parts, such as exploring the world of Spira, the characters and the battle system with the return of the Job System and the fast-paced ATB battles.
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

50.00 down the drain.

Owen made this sig. R.I.P.

Survival Is Ruthless The Real Dark Messenger's Avatar

I really liked the game, but something... I dunno... was missing.
    Maybe it was the fact that only 3 characters were playable, maybe is was the feel of, maybe the music...
    One thing I do know - I wanted to find Tidus all the way - so I enjoyed it!

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I've played it nineteen times through, and I've only made back twenty-seven cents. Gross, not net.

Why would you play a game you don't particularly like 19 times? I struggle to get through games that I consider pretty decent more than once.

I thought FFX-2 was pretty decent for what it was. It's insanely easy (not that I expect a challenge from FF games now days but even so..), recycled FFX models like there was no tomorrow and the plot is a little 'iffy' to say the least but it was quite fun to play and a welcome departure from recent FF titles that take themselves far too seriously.

Plus it's non-linear. Can't argue with non-linear.

STILL Anti Balthier Setzer Gabianni's Avatar

It was alright. Can't stand the main 3 characters so..I kinda focused on enjoying the Yevon vs Youth League rivalry.

~Setzer Gabbiani

Quote Renmiri on FFXII
    I bitch about the game a lot, mainly for the lack of story and weak characters, but it is still the best of the series out there.
    She loves it more then X!

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth1999AD View Post
    I had fun playing the game. It wasn't excellent or as good as many other FFs, IMHO, but it had its enjoyable parts, such as exploring the world of Spira, the characters and the battle system with the return of the Job System and the fast-paced ATB battles.

Hmmm X-2. I personally think it was based on much fanfare after X. There wasn't a proper-game-development feel to the game. It was fun initially, but then becomes rather drab when all one does is go on missions. It's not cohesive and the storyline can get rather confusing.

Charlie-Angels feel definitely a big turn off for me hahaha. And I wasn't used to not controlling a single male character :(

Dressing up was fun though!
    Look at the stars, look how they shine for you.

I think that X-2 was created on because to have an ending of Yuna and Tidus together...Shuyin and Lenne was simply created just because they had no stories to tell left...

想要對妳說的 不敢說的愛

Quote Originally Posted by ~SapphireStar~ View Post
    same but tha story sucked...