Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria reactions.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria reactions.

HAWTNESSHAWTNESSHAWTNESSHAWTNESSHAWTNESS

tri-Ace alert!!!!!111oneeleventay

I just opened the case. I will now proceed to whore this game for all it's worth, like I would any other tri-Ace game...

Share your reactions to VP2 here.

Edit: I've just been past the first couple of cutscenes. I'm liking it so far. The voice acting seems just fine (though I have nothing to compare it to, I don't usually complain about that anyway), and the graphics, I mean, WOW. The FMVs are spectacular, and the in-game graphics are just great.

Now to see what this new battle system is all about...

Edit: Oh wow! There's a bit more strategy, here. I hope I don't become overwhelmed by all things to know about the system...xD

As for the sound, all the music sounds great so far. I'm used to Sakuraba doing mostly rockin' stuff, so there's a bit more orchestral stuff in this one (well, so far. I know for sure that Incarnation of Devil is in this). I really dig the battle theme though!

Edit: I'm now in (SPOILER)Dipan Castle.

I'm starting to catch on to the battle system now. My characters have leveled up, and as such, can cream all the monsters in the area. I'm sure this can't last long, of course. I love the dash feature!

*dash*

*kill*

*win*

But for whatever reason, I haven't been able to perform a 'Soul Crush' yet (which I believe are Silmeria's version of the Purify Wierd Soul attacks). I guess they're introduced later or something. I've filled up the bar to 100 before...

Final Edit: Whew, little over four hours. Time for bed~

It seems that you need to equip a weapon that enables a special attack to perform a Soul Crush. But with that, they function similarly to PWS, combo bar and all.

Nibelung Valesti looks impressive! But maybe Alicia can put a bit more spirit into it...although I guess that's a part of her character.

(SPOILER)And....LEZARD! The epitome of hawsomness now has a hot new voice actor! He sounds alot more formal than before, though that's probably just because he's being coy. Although, I haven't heard any english voice actor that's as deep a voice as Takehito Koyasu. Still, much better in my opinion then the original VA for him, although it detracts from his insanity a bit. But of course, that's probably just because he's acting that way...I'm on to you Lezard...he got all surprised when Silmeria mentioned mind-reading...

(SPOILER)Anyway, my party is Alicia, Dylan, Rufus, and Lezard (how original). They're all at level 5. I'll be planning on going through another dungeon to Corriander tomorrow.

"I cannot deny your effort...though it will take more than that to match up to me."

*doesn't remember exact quote right this moment*
    Last edited by Zeromus_X; 09-28-2006 at 06:14 AM.

Back from the Abyss ValkyrieWing's Avatar

KOYASU FOR THE WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ~Ye must desire respite from thy empty existence. Thou shalt have it.~

This game looks all fancy pants to me. I'm definitely going to give it a shot. Between high scores, an action based battle system, yummy eye candy graphics, and Zero's squeelicious over the game who could not be excited for it?

We have it at work...OoO *shoked* But we're sold our of the strat gude. XD

Didn't get to play much today, but I loved what little I did play. The new battle system seems fresh and at the same time gives me a wave of nostalgia. Alicia is so hot.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Hm...the game seems to be getting tougher, or I'm just underleveled. Probably the latter, since levels are so narrow in VP, even a few levels can make a difference in strength.

I'm in the *starts with a G* Mountain Ruins. I have to go back and get a treasure chest I missed (I can't figure out how to get up there! ;_; ), and I died on this dragon boss. xD I did get Leone and what seems to be an alternate-life Arngrim.

I could also have crappy equipment...that's probably why. But man, Oth is sure hard to come by! Still, I prefer this than playing some typical breezy RPG.

Quote Originally Posted by Necronopticous
    Alicia is so hot.
    But Lezard is hotter.

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

The battle system is just wondrous. And Alicia's effing crazy. <3

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default <3

Hm...the difficulty is really starting to increase. Oth isn't such a problem now, but the bosses have really started gaining an edge (freaking Kraken!! Argh!!!1one). I still don't completely understand how Runes work yet, though I guess this (the Rune skill system) prevents you from becoming completely overpowered really quickly.

Still, not a complaint...it's just interesting to see what's changed and what's similar.

On a positive note, battles are starting to implement more elements of the battle system to be put to use (moving around and destroying certain parts of the battlefield to aid in battle, using Sealstones to help against enemies, etc).

You're liking it, then?

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Oh yes, of course! I just got a Great Magic staff for Lezard *megadrool* Now I just need a Soul Crush bow for Rufus, and I'm all set and ready for pwnage...

I finally beat that dang Kraken! Nothing going through those other two (apparently optional) dungeons and leveling up couldn't fix!

(SPOILER)And...something with Rufus' ring...more 'elf vessel' stuff popping up. The story is certainly getting more interesting!

Must......buy......game....

Need this game like I need air!!

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

The difficulty really spikes once Lezard joins, holy crap.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Oh, just wait until later (I'm at the (SPOILER)Palace of the Dragon now*). Where are you at now, Jowy?

Now I've discovered a rather negative flaw. There's no way I'm underleveled, since I'm at least two levels higher than the recent Einherjar I've been finding. Battles can really take a long time. Especially since SCs do rather unimpressive damage and big enemies that are quite common have a boatload of HP. My equipment still probably isn't the most impressive (I'll save a guide for my second playthrough), but I should still be able to do more damage than this. I know I was happy at a more difficult Valkyrie Profile game...but still...

On the bright side, Rufus was the only one left alive when I killed the Hydra and he gained four levels. ^_^

*Kickass music!

Being Who Transcended All Black Mage's Avatar

Alright. After skipping class and calling into work on Thursday, I completed the "Main Story" of the English version today, and I'll outline my opinions of various aspects. I'll be avoiding spoilers as well.

My first impression of the English Localization came from the various trailers that sprouted up maybe a month ago or so. After playing through the game I'm all over the spectrum as to where I was before.

The translation is perfect. Mirror image of the Japanese. Characters for the most part are saying pretty much direct translations of the original dialogue, which is a relief. Though the translation does lack the "flair" the original had, or perhaps "extra care" would be a better term. I am still happy with the direct translations.

It is instead the voice acting where my opinions shotgun, as expected. I feel the general casting was decent. Most noteably, I was very impressed with Alicia's VA. As for Silmeria, I think the actress did a nice job, but for whatever reason she wasn't doing it for me. It might be because she did Ridley Silverlake's voice in Radiata Stories, a character I'm not particularly fond of, and I associate her voice with that character, but I don't know. She did well enough, just my own personal tastes oppose. Arngrim's voice was one I really did not care for. What it really just boils down to is a poor imitation of Blaustein's Arngrim in the original Valkyrie Profile. I commend the effort, but it's really just a poor showing. I still think Rufus' voice was too deep, and the VA really suffered from what a lot of the cast did: Lack of Emotion. A lot of the lines are just read, without any sort of emotion or passion. This really shows with most of the Mages while casting their normal spells.

I was really disappointed with one aspect in particular of the Voice Acting, though. It's the one area where the Localization could have improved upon the original Japanese. Instead, Einherjar still share voice actors and voice samples. I did not expect for any sort of modification of the story, or Soul Crushes, but I did have my hopes up that each Einherjar would, this time, sport a different VA, or at the least different line readings. Unfortunately not.

As for Lezard's VA, he's not too bad. Certainly my least favorite of any by a large margin (Except, perhaps, Radiata Stories' Lezard, but even then if I remember it correctly I even think that one might've been better).

It's a shame Maddie Blaustein did not return for the role (Despite claims that s/he couldn't voice Lezard in this manner), nor a suitable substitute for Koyasu Takehito was casted. The English VA doesn't do a terrible job, but he just did not meet my expectations.

All in all, I'm happy with the localization, but I find it to be average at best.

The English guide is another matter all together. I picked up the guide when I bought the game. Though, I hadn't taken a look through it until earlier today after I finished the game, and it really is terrible. Not even just incomplete bad, but inaccurate bad. In leafing through some of the Boss Monsters, I can attest that the incorrect numbers are supplied for the stats. In comparing it to all three of the Japanese guides (The Official Complete, The Master, and the Final Guides) a pattern develops which shows a complete lack of Quality control at Brady Games. The boss stat boxes are laid out in two tables. The Stat-labeled rows vary from monster to monster, but are set up in generally the same manner. I'll use the monster "Lady Cleo" as my example. Her tables are set up as:

Name: Lady Cleo
    Species: Unholy Magic
    Item: Azure Sealpouch, Supreme Garb
    ATK: 200
    AVD: 280
    MAG: 58
    RDM: 50
    ---------- End Table One
    Hit: 10
    RST: 50
    Fire: None
    Ice: None
    Lightning: -50%
    Earth: 100%
    Holy: 50%
    ---------- End Table Two

Now, this is incorrect. The numbers listed are correct, just not for the particular stats they associate them with. If you go through the columns reading them in this order, you get the correct statistics:

ATK
    MAG
    HIT
    AVD
    RDM
    RST

This appears to work for the monsters I have checked, but I haven't made a throrough sweep through, so there may be some differences. Also, the element affinities are correct.

I sincerely recommend that you do not buy the English Guide and instead pick up any one of the three Japanese guides. They contain much more information and are not strewn with inaccuracies.
    Last edited by Black Mage; 10-02-2006 at 03:39 PM.