Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Recommended Reading

Back from the Abyss ValkyrieWing's Avatar

Default Recommended Reading

What books would you reccomend for others to read?

Anything by David Eddings for me...and the Scorpion Shards series by Neil Shusterman. Those books gave me chills.
    ~Ye must desire respite from thy empty existence. Thou shalt have it.~

A Clockwork Orange as a novel is better than the movie in my opinion, so read it, although it's quite disturbing at some points.

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell is another good one I just finished.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

The Redemption Of Althalus - David & Leigh Eddings
    Have A Nice Day, A Tale Of Blood & Sweatsocks - Mick Foley
    The Death Of WCW - RD Reynolds & Bryan Alvarez
    and, of course, The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown

Even if you're not a wrestling fan, the middle two suggestions are excellent reads.
    "As the days go by, we face the increasing inevitability that we are alone in a godless,
    uninhabited, hostile and meaningless universe. Still, you've got to laugh, haven't you?"

Back from the Abyss ValkyrieWing's Avatar

I read the other two on your list, Raine...not the wrestling ones. Both are awesome.
    ~Ye must desire respite from thy empty existence. Thou shalt have it.~

I like 'Brave New World' by Aldous Huxley but that would prolly be because of my twisted humor.

Right now I'm reading 'The Inferno' by Dante Aligheiri which is done in poem/prose like form, so if you like shakespear type books ('cause I do, HAMLET ALL THE WAY!) then you might like it.

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

Personal recommendations are <u>Catch-22</u>, by Joseph Heller, and anything by Kurt Vonnegut, namely <u>Slaughterhouse Five</u> and <u>Breakfast of Champions</u>.

Ender's Game

For fantasy readers:
    Zelanskys' Amber Trilogy
    Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series

The best book of all time:
    Bulgakov's The Master and Margarita

The best-written book of all time:
    Nabokov's Lolita

bartimaeus series
    It looks like the ground had a sex change.

Ball of Pure being sephirothishere's Avatar

if i ever write a book....you should probably read that....cuz im jus such a cool dude.........ya know.......i bet my book would radiate cool.......

Sephiro this here.

Game Of Shadows by Mark Fainaru-Wada and Lance Williams.

Basically, this book is the smoking gun in the case against Barry Bonds with regards to steroids. If you wanna see proof once and for all about his guilt or innocence, read this book.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Azzie turned me onto a Game of Thrones and it was awesome. I'm reading Anna Karenina right now, and it is fantastic. Um, I read watership down last year and it was amazing. Cloudsplitter is a fictionary novel about the son of John Brown, and it was pretty good too.

I'm currently reading Veronika Decides To Die by Paulo Coelho and I can fully recommend that. Great great book so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by MecaKane View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Yliette View Post
    Avril's become more profane now with lines such as "Hell yeah, I'm a m***** f***in' princess"
    No matter how much you and Sigmund Freud want it to be, 'mother' is not a curse word.

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley, one of my favorite books. It is fantasy, set in the time of King Authur, told from the perspective of women. Margaine, a.k.a. Morgan Le Fay, is the main character.

Sophie's World: A Novel About the History of Philosophy by Jostein Gaarder, translation by Paulette Moller. It is also a work of fiction, yet has non-fiction aspects as it gives brief and simple summaries about different philosophical movement and thinkers while having a nice plot.

The Fifth Ring series by Mitchell Graham. At first this might seem like a LotR rip-off but it is not.

The World's Religions by Huston Smith. A good book that looks at the major faiths of the world. Actually it was a text book for one of my classes.

The Drifters, James A. Michener. Not enough people have read this AMAZING BEYOND AMAZING book go read it now Michener's like...a god.
    This subliminal message could be meant for YOU. But it's probably not. Move along ;D

RX Queen Recognized Member kikimm's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by I Took the Red Pill View Post
    A Clockwork Orange as a novel is better than the movie in my opinion, so read it, although it's quite disturbing at some points.
    Yes! Yes yes yes. Even if you didn't like the movie I would still recommend reading it. The movie drags in certain parts where the book does not, interestingly enough!

And The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. It's not a horror story so if you don't normally like King because of that then it don't matter.

And Fahrenheit 451. Good stuff really. Although you'll probably have to read that at some point if you're a student anyways, so go ahead and look forward to it!
    --Box Box Box Box