Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So, I'm thinking about coming back to FFXI...again...

If it helps your temptation any... PUP is currently the biggest joke in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeargdribble View Post
    If it helps your temptation any... PUP is currently the biggest joke in the game.
    Awww, sounded like a cool class. o.O Oh wells, always have my trusty Thief! Now the problem is money. Lawl. >.> What's wrong with the PUP though? (Even though I'll probably have it researched before you repost heh. =p)
    If everything in the world that is "better" than something else is based on opinion, then there is really no point to argue.

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

oooh I donno, this is mr Yeargdribble, he would probably have it posted before I actually post this.

edit: or... not.... but anyways.

Well the biggest problem with PUP is that when it was released they didn't really expect that several people would have 75 PUPs in a few weeks.

The weakness was that a level 75 PUP has the same attachments and abilities essentially as a level 1 PUP. Attachments weren't made to scale up. PUP is an amazing and damn near over-powered class at earlier levels, but due to poor planning they start to plateau at around 30. The automaton learns new things but SE hasn't yet released a full set of new attachments scaling all the way to the top. Once this is done, PUP will probably work better.

They also don't seem to have any particular role to fill in a PT. However, PUP at 50+ can be a decent tank by a good combination of enmity and DEF/VIT gear. Setting up your Automaton with the right attachments will make it spam Cure IV on you almost without ceasing. This is a hate-free spam curing which saves resources and apparently can work pretty well.

As SE releases more attachments that help the job scale better it might turn out to be a better job.

However, keep in mind that even if the job is eventually buffed up to be all that is should be, the community will probably always hold it as a butt of joke and won't take it very seriously. DRG is a good job that people have a distaste for just because it's popular to think, "loldrg." Same with DRK. With the addition of Absorb-TP a DRK can be an amazing asset to a PT but they have a reputation that is difficult to fix.

Ah, I understand. =) Yeah I remember all the overlooking of classes, heh. Same with every mmo, there will always be classes that are over looked. Still have no clue what race/class I'll be if I do come back, going to start brand new, just not quite decided. (Was always my main problem, too indecisive. -.-)
    If everything in the world that is "better" than something else is based on opinion, then there is really no point to argue.

FFXIV Character

yessum, it also happens this MORPGs (Multiplayer Online RPG) aswell.

for example, in Guild Wars the Ranger is almost ALWAYS overlooked in a party, and is the first to be kicked if they find any other sort of class.

and as for the FFXI thief, I still dont really know why people grunt in disgust of it on my server.
    Last edited by Markus. D; 10-05-2006 at 01:44 AM.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I've never been in a party where the leader would kick one character in favour of one that is considered better. I would only kick someone who didn't do their job, this would be for example a mage that melee'd. The only instance where I could imagine one being kicked to invite another person, would be if the party had nothing but damage dealers and no healer. However, no one should make such a party in the first place.

Also, thieves aren't bad :(, according to some veteran players I know, they're actually one of the best damage dealers endgame. Many daggers have been made stronger too. I have no idea why rangers are getting kicked either, I thought they were good even after the ranged attack nerf.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukasa View Post
    for example, the Ranger is almost ALWAYS overlooked in a party, and is the first to be kicked if they find any other sort of class.
    lol... it's funny because once upon a time RNG was such a powerful class. People would kick any melee job as soon as a RNG put their flag up in order to get the RNG. Most RNGs were a--holes. They knew that HNM shells and XP PTs worshiped them and let it go to their heads. When they were adjusted... most just quit or changed to BLM. Now, even though SE is trying to adjust them back to at least a shadow of their former glory... nobody cares. It's too late.

Once a job has been nerfed hard, almost nothing can make people like them again. They will always carry the stigma they once had.

As for deciding what race to play, I guess just pick something you can handle looking at. Keep in mind what kinda jobs you might want to play. However, I started as a taru and I now enjoy doing things that would be easier if I were maybe a Galka. But it's also fun to be extra challenged as a taru melee or tank. There are things I can do that, as a taru, will put people's jaws on the floor at times.

If you wanna be boring and just wanna try a lot out you can always go Hume for the balance. Honestly, I think Mithra (though less evenly balanced than a Hume) actually offers more in a balance sense than Hume across all jobs.

Also keep in mind that you can play a lot of jobs and see what you like. That's part of the beauty of FFXI. Another bright side is that most of your stats are retained from job to job. My Sword and Dagger Skills are both capped at 75 on BRD. This means that on all of the other jobs I would use Sword or Dagger on, they will be pre-capped, making me more powerful than someone just starting out on that job. Other things that are good for all jobs, like evasion, parry, etc. will also stay in place. This makes each subsequent job that much easier, and I dare say, more enjoyable to level.

FFXIV Character

ooops, I meant to say GW... somwhere in that RNG sentance...

Tarutaru are my favorite race from way back when, but I know I'd want to become some melee class sometime, and little tiny Taru do not look that great as an Elvaan for a dragoon or something in my opinion. So totally stuck on it again, will probably end up leveling a taru and another seperately. Taru for my love of magic, and maaaaybe ninja (though I might go hume for that...) I dunno, I've got all the time in the world to level I suppose, it just takes SO long!!! >_<

Jobs that interrest me the most...

-Bard
    -Summoner
    -Ninja
    -Thief
    -Pupeteer
    -Corsair
    -Red Mage (My first job ever. ^_^)

Of course EVERY class (save Beastmaster and Blue Mage, not as fond of them as the rest) I love. That's why I'm probably coming back, the classes of FFXI are my favorite in any mmo to date. The class system itself is very good, a main and sub class makes the game unique to a point. =)

Why would you waste your money on a worthless subscription fee?

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Masamune View Post
    It's not worthless. It provides hours of fun and entertainment.

MMOs definitely give the most bang for your buck if you play with even mild consistency. Think of all of the other things you pay for to entertain you. Buying a movie (20ish buck) that you might watch a handful of times... maybe 10 hours of entertainment. I spend less than that in a month and am entertained for far more hours than I would be by many other forms of entertainment.

FFXIV Character

FFXI gave Square most of its funds to create FFXII. ?

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Why would you waste your money on a worthless internet subscription fee?
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?