Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So, I'm thinking about coming back to FFXI...again...

Default So, I'm thinking about coming back to FFXI...again...

I've been off and on with this game since it has came out. (If anyone here remembers me I'll be shocked ) The last time I was going to come back, the horrible graphics got to me, but I didn't know that there was actually a high-res thingy with better graphics that came out (Recently maybe? I have no clue, just randomly found out about it on the site. For all I know it could have always been there I was just too much of a noob to look for it. >.>)

So does anyone have any screen shots with the graphics at max? I guess I had them at the lowest, never really checked, dunno why I was so dumb. =/ If I could twink it to make the graphics standable that would rule. I always loved FFXI's class system, that's the main reason I want to come back. Heh, thanks in advanced.
    If everything in the world that is "better" than something else is based on opinion, then there is really no point to argue.

I'll just link a few awesome pics. Some are a little touched up and I can't tell which all are because I'll be linking to pics that aren't my own. However, on PC you can really make the graphics look extremely impressive. Some of the backgrounds don't have the best detail but most of the character models are very detailed.

Don't let it suck you in and take away your life.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

awww its not so bad.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Akebeth View Post
    I've been off and on with this game since it has came out. (If anyone here remembers me I'll be shocked ;) ) The last time I was going to come back, the horrible graphics got to me, but I didn't know that there was actually a high-res thingy with better graphics that came out (Recently maybe? I have no clue, just randomly found out about it on the site. For all I know it could have always been there I was just too much of a noob to look for it. >.>)

So does anyone have any screen shots with the graphics at max? I guess I had them at the lowest, never really checked, dunno why I was so dumb. =/ If I could twink it to make the graphics standable that would rule. I always loved FFXI's class system, that's the main reason I want to come back. Heh, thanks in advanced. :p
    Who cares about graphics anyway?
    They look better on my PC than what most PS2s can pump out, so if you still play PS2 games, they shouldn't bother you. One thing you should know though, is that the game is just a port of the PS2 version, and it utilizes very little of your graphics card. What matters if you want good performance is a powerful CPU.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

FFXIV Character

Kelesis Aleid (Phoenix)

I'm back, also. I stopped playing six months ago and I have no idea why. This game is so awesome. I just reinstalled everything and started up again.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Graphics are important. Visual stimulation is one of the best things about video games. If it wasn't then we'd all be happy with text based games.

Especially with a game like this, with a vast and detailed world filled with different creatures, and the ability to distinguish your character by customizing his/her equipment, graphics play an important part in the FFXI experience. That being said, I'm pretty satisfied with the standard settings in the game, but seeing those screenshots above make me want a better graphics card because they are stunning.

So to summarize, I think graphics are important, but I don't think FFXI's graphics are horrible. They aren't great, but I think they are good enough to get someone to enjoy the game fully.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Okay then, the graphics count, but they're not the main thing that drives me to play a game. They are important for the first impression, sure, but the gameplay is what really counts. Music plays an important role for the feel of the game too, maybe just as much as the difference between good and bad graphics.

Also Del Murder, don't worry about getting a better graphics card in order to get better graphics in FFXI. As I said, FFXI isn't programmed to utilize graphics cards very well in the first place (because it's just a PS2 port), so a fast CPU would be what makes a difference rather than a good graphics card. I know of a guy who plays FFXI in 1600x1200 with all effects set to max, and he's got a Geforce 2(that's more than 4 years old, maybe more than 5 too). It's his fast CPU that makes it possible.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Ok, and you are right that gameplay is the most important thing of course. I'm not going to buy a new computer just to play this game so I'll be satisfied with what I have.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Daaaang, yearg! That last screenshot is sooo crystal clear. FFXI doesn't look anything like that on my computer.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Yeah, it has much higher antialiasing setting than what the game usually has, that's the first thing I notice about it. I believe you need to tweak stuff in the registry to get that.
    I won't try it on this laptop though, cause it's already chocking at the maximum settings without tweaks. However, when I get my stationary up and running again, I'm going to tweak it to look much more awesome than it normally is. ;)

You know, a thing I think would have been awesome is if S-E released a patch with higher resolution textures that we PC users could choose to use. Doubt it will happen though.

The only way to get FFXI to look that good is to tweak the registry values. The biggest problem is that FFXI is a horrible emulation of the PS2 version on PC. It runs almost completely on your processor and very little on your video card. This causes quite a bottleneck.

However, if you have video card that will allow you to force AF and FSAA you can make it look even better. Tweaking certain registry values alone can give a really nice pseudo-FSAA effect.

I notice that at least some of the pics I posted are slightly editted. Mostly the last one has a blur effect added to the background and certain lighting effects enhanced in the foreground to create that ultra clear look. However, you can actually make the game look a bit like that while running. It is a matter of preference but if you tweak the 0000 value in the registry to around 6 it will make your backgrounds blur like that. Some people like it and some don't. For performance sake I usually don't run like this but when I want to I have it set to 4 instead of 6 for a nice comfortable blur on distant backgrounds.

I really should find that registry tweak thread and crosspost it here.

I don't think graphics are the most important thing in the world, but they do stand out a lot. Gameplay is important, and the reason I'm thinking of switching back. (Have been playing World of Warcraft since it came out off and on too.) I loved the class system of FFXI, and most of the classes themselves. The menu system is a little boring, and seeing the loading screen for a short second switching areas is...blah...but I can get over that.

I like the people in general that play FFXI more than I do WoW, and the classes I adore. The battle system is good, perhapse a little too depending on the whm, but a rdm can take up the job for quite a while, and I do love both the whm and rdm classes and I love pretty much every class...and there are the two new ones out now...gawd, I'll probably be back soon if I keep talking myself into it. >.<
    If everything in the world that is "better" than something else is based on opinion, then there is really no point to argue.

Three new classes out now, and all of the others have had things added to them.

Also, just be aware that it is a very party dependent game, that can either be a downfall or something great. It's up to you.

Anyways, here's that Registry Thread.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Quote Originally Posted by Omecle View Post
    Also, just be aware that it is a very party dependent game, that can either be a downfall or something great. It's up to you.
    I know, I know, it used to be my life. It'll take me forever to get back up there again, oh wells.

And thanks for the link. =D

Edit: Puppetmaster?! Zomg!!!11oneoneone I waaaaant to try it ouuuut. T_T Why does FFXI have to be so tempting!