Thread: Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga

Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga

Offical Site

Has anyone played this one yet? Its by the people who brought us Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne. Im liking it, I prefer it to the last game. Mainly because it has voice overs and the plot of the world coming to an end in Nocturne freaked me out alittle bit.

Quote Originally Posted by IGN
    This latest entry places you in the role of Serph as you attempt to defeat five tribes and make your way to the paradise of Nirvana. You and your group encounter a pod which gives you the ability to change into demon form and suck up enemies. Use points that you've earned in battle to power up your character and his "Mantra," creating an original demon all your own. Also included is a "break" system that has you block enemy magic attacks, quickly gaining the ability to counterattack.
    Im really, really enjoying it and its better then collectiong demons in the previous game. Theres also a Mantra Grid, just imagine FFX's sphere grid. You download abilites from the grid and power them up in battles. Trust me, its worth a look if you like your dark RPGs.

Fluttershy Recognized Member Ashi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Chat Operator

I didn't play that one, but I got the first part.

I played a Shin Megami Tensei: Lucifer's Call. Apparently it features Dante from DMC. I did not like it and did not even play it for that long. A lot of the names being Japanese kind of made it difficult. Dunno how I was able to handle it with Persona 2. Couldn't find anything about it online... I'm assuming maybe it's a European release of Nocturne? Since the one I had was PAL.

Shin Megami Tensei: Lucifer's Call is also known as Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne. I couldnt remember the PAL title. Persona 2 was super and I hope we get Persona 3.

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

Digital Devil Saga is probably one of the best RPGs of this year. I have both games, but I haven't yet finished the first part :P I have a problem finishing RPGs...

But yeah, I do like this a lot more than Nocturne (or Lucifer's Call). Not having to deal with recruiting monsters makes some things a little easier to manage. It has an interesting spin on the otherwise tired turn-based combat, the story is very interesting and the voice acting is actually quite well done. I'd reccommend this game to anyone who likes RPGs and/or Mature games.

Fluttershy Recognized Member Ashi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Chat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by ~SapphireStar~ View Post
    Shin Megami Tensei: Lucifer's Call is also known as Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne. I couldnt remember the PAL title. Persona 2 was super and I hope we get Persona 3.
    Then I'm pretty sure the PAL title is Lucifer's Call.

It is Lucifer's Call.

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

Last I played this, I was near the end of the first part of Digital Devil Saga (it's a 2-part game). There's a particular type of skill/element called 'Almighty', which has resistance to most other skills including physical. They're typically quite powerful as well. I'm in an area where just about every random encounter is some powerful Almighty demon. It was way too difficult for my under-leveled characters to even walk around and fight the 'weaklings'. I could go to the previous stage and level up, get some new anti-almighty mantra and stuff, but instead I put it down to play something else :P I intend to go back to it soon though, I have a friend who wants to borrow it.