Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 59101112131415

Thread: Lost Season 3 (Spoilers!)

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    There have been some, though, such as the guy pointing out that the roof needed fixing, and then later figuring out how to create fire via the magnet & lightning (or something).
    That had nothing to do with learning how to live on the island. That was Desmond trying to learn about his psychic powers. He told them to fix the roof because he KNEW it was going to rain. He also knew it was going to lightning, so he created a lightning rod so Claire and Aaron wouldn't DIE.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Here's an interesting article by NY Magazine that basically says a lot of what I'm thinking about the current problems that are weighing Lost down. The main thing being that the very basis of Lost's story-telling technique isn't working anymore. Obviously the flashbacks and whatnot worked for awhile, it's sinking the show now. They need to seriously re-think how they're telling their story and get their act together.

But which would you rather tune in to next fall: a brand-new mystery from the creators of Lost, that entirely satisfying and thrilling limited-run series you loved? Or yet another season of Lost, that show that started out so well but is now meandering all over the damn place? Puzzles are meant to be solved, not prolonged. You can only tease viewers so long before they feel like they’re being mocked.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

They could easily add the little snippets of island life in, just replace the flashbacks. It was important in the beginning to show how the characters came to be where they are, but now it just waters the show down and makes it go sooo slowly.

The people on the beach don't have to just be twiddling their thumbs. The writers could easily create storylines for them. This is a story in progress, no where does it say that the people on the beach can't be doing stuff. The writers have control of their fate just as much as they have control of JKS. The problem is that they are focusing too much on that storyline, and that storyline is moving so slowly. Six episodes and this is all that has happened:

- The Others need Jack to perform back surgery on Ben
    - Kate and Sawyer have sex

Only one of those two things are even relevant to the plot. That could have been accomplished in one episode, but it has had three to four devoted to it. Compared to the beach people (also had threeish episodes):

- Locke saves Eko from a bear
    - Desmond develops psychic powers
    - Eko dies
    - Desmond's ship gets stolen

That isn't much. Saving Eko from the bear shouldn't even count since he dies anyway.

Anyway, the point is that I don't think the show is budgeting its time and resources as well as it did in the first season. To say that the other characters aren't doing anything so why show them is the wrong way to put it. The writers aren't giving them stuff to do, focusing too much on one plotline that is dragging on.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

It's entirely possible that the flashbacks are more important than we realise. Likewise, I think that - as much as some people might not like it - Jack, Kate and Sawyer are the lead characters for this season. They said it from the start that this season they will be concentrating on the Others.

Note: Not "Jack, Kate and Sawyer" - but the "Others". Maybe we aren't seeing as much of Charlie and Jin, but we are seeing a lot of Ben and his gang, and that didn't happen so much in previous seasons. They were new last season and now it's our time to find out about them.

On a similar note, you guys are only complaining about what you've seen so far without thinking about the fact that there probably is some solid storyline to this whole thing and it's entirely possible that they have to, you know, fit it in. Maybe Jack, Kate and Sawyer are the most important characters for a reason, and we just don't know what it is yet. I don't really care for them either, personally - I like Jin the most and did like Eko quite a bit too - but I respect the fact that in this season, it's Others time, and they are the three characters which are now with the Others and thus they get a lot of viewing time. Jack, Kate and Sawyer are essentially our gateway to finding out about the Others, and that's the primary purpose of Season 3. Maybe Season 4 will be more to your liking, but you do need to think about the bigger picture the people organising this thing have in mind.

Season 1 was focusing on getting to know the new characters, and also how they adapted to island life, giving up hope of getting rescued, etc.
    Season 2 was focusing on getting to know the new characters, and also the mystery of the hatch, and of course 'Henry'.
    Season 3 is focusing on getting to know the new characters, and also what the 'Others' are all about, and I am guessing that we will also in the end find out much more about such things as the second hatch, possibly the smoke monster and possibly the 'powers' of various people.

One does wonder what the 'powers' of the people who haven't done anything are. Particularly the Others.

Each season has a purpose, and the next season relies on it, so I don't think they will be swaying much from their storyline because of some disgruntled viewers. I think there is some sort of masterplan and who lives and dies along the way isn't as important as 1) the main characters and 2) what they will focus on during each season in order to lead up to the finale.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

If this all leads to something awesome down the road I will be satisfied. It is a possibility. My complaint is that there has been too much buildup for whatever the climax is.

Well what's done is done. All I know is I was entertained, but not nearly as entertained as I was with the first part of the previous two seasons. I hope for some better things next year.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm telling you, this is the Abrams curse!

And BoB, I think you're giving the writers waaaaay too much credit for having some sort of masterplan all sorted out in their head. Especially when these same writers had it set that Jack was gonna die in the first episode and only changed this a few weeks before they started shooting. I really do think that they're just going with the swing of things and deciding what happens from episode to episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    If this all leads to something awesome down the road I will be satisfied. It is a possibility. My complaint is that there has been too much buildup for whatever the climax is.
    *whispers* "The X-Files."

"I think you'd make any (nice) woman happy... & I think you really deserve for someone to make you happy too for a change"

Oh God if it turns into an x-files ending (though im sure JJ is smarter than that) that i'll be so pissed off, it'll be worse than finding out it might be a dream in the end!

but yeah im sure the writers have a big picture planned its just the little things that arent planned as much (well thats how they said in an interview)

But i dunno if the solving of the mystery of the hatch is to go by im slightly worried (people did know the button was important right!?) i guess we'll see how this one plays out! At least it took like 6 episodes to find out ben's need for jack... The next episode is going to be Juilie's flashback episode so that should be interesting

[Life is Eternity in a nutshell]

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I don't mind flashbacks of the newer charcters, to find out who they are. That was the point of the flashbacks in the first place.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Interview with Mr. Garcia (Hurley) in today's Metro...

Are the writers making it up as they go along, or is there a master plan?
    No, there is a master plan but if they want tot ell the story in five years and we're still a successful show, the network will want to keep the show going. The writers and producers need to fulfil their contract with the network. They want to tell a story but don't know how long they have to tell it, so they have to guess.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Miriel View Post
    One of the best parts of the show in my opinion were the little moments that showed small snippets of what life was like on the island. Example: the teeny tiny side-story with Sawyer needing glasses. Or Hurley collecting leaves to use when he went potty. Or Sun making her garden.
    Clearly Lost is no longer about what life is like on the island. There are no more concerns about acquiring resources, building shelters, etc. etc.. That was season 1 business, because in season 1 those were the issues at hand. Now it's nothing of note. And we do still tend to see Sun in her garden.

All those things were just tiny moments that took up only a few minutes in an episode, but it added *so* much to the show. I think those elements were needlessly taken out of the show. In favor of what? Jack crying some more. Kate being more indecisive. Sawyer growling. Boooo.
    Well, except for the way each of those characters have been pretty great this season (And I'm no Jack or Kate fan), sure.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Im getting tired of having more and more questions thrown at me while not getting any answers what so ever. I do not like the show a whole lot just for the characters themselves, as the creators of Lost said should be the main interest in the series. So im getting a little frustrated.