Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What game magazines do you read(if any)?

Default What game magazines do you read(if any)?

I'm not currently buying as many as i used to,mostly because i get almost all the news i need from the internet.
    But i'm still buying Edge and Game Developer on a monthly basis because they have interesting articles.
    From time to time i also buy Playstation2 Official Magazine but only if it has a demo that i want to try.
    Also,do you buy magazines to keep you informed and read articles or just to play the demos?

Back from the Abyss ValkyrieWing's Avatar

Game Informer works really well for what I need.
    ~Ye must desire respite from thy empty existence. Thou shalt have it.~

None! I use the internet for any main news.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Nintendo Power, though I haven't read it in forever. :P I used to subscribe to EGM, but I started seeing a bit of a bias so I didn't renew. (At least Nintendo Power doesn't pretend to be Sony and Microsoft fans. :P)

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

EGM, because it is simply the best-written gaming mag out there. I think I got a subscription for Game Informer at GameStop, but it's not nearly as good a magazine, so I don't really care if it shows up or not.

Fluttershy Recognized Member Ashi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Chat Operator

I think they were mostly PSM and Expert Gamer. I don't get magazines anymore. My siblings used to get some Nintendo magazine but I don't remember the exact title...

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

EGM, Nintendo Power, and Game Informer. And I might pick up the occasional issue of Play at the grocery store and thumb through it.

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

I pick up EGM regularly, and I'd get OXM or OPM (Xbox/Playstation official mags) if there's a demo I want to play. EGM does a pretty good job of staying fairly relevant, even in this age of 'get it all on the internet'.
    Their rumour mill is a particularly interesting regular feature, because it's not just 'overheard on the internet' stuff... it's actual 'industry rumblings'. A lot of their rumours have been pretty close, recent example being the US release date of the DS lite. Most recently however, they've stated that Street Fighter 4 will be released in 2007, Rez will have a sequel, and that Wii Sports will have 30 different games. Will be interesting to see how accurate these are.

I started picking up Nintendo Power recently as well, I found a store here that sells them!

Blog Entries

I get EGM sometimes. It's American though so sometimes it's not very relevant but its a good mag.

Out of the local magazines, I'd buy anything that looks like it has an interesting article/guide/review/whatever inside. I just flip through everything and pick out one. No real preference.

Blog Entries

I use to read the official Playstation magazine but it was over in 2004 I think ^^" A bit later when PS2 arrived... Their critics were just amazing and when they rate the games me and my bro had great laughs!

I think there is a big difference between the magazines available in America and the ones available in the UK and Europe. I haven't heard of some of the ones mentioned here.

Without question I buy Games TM every month. I absolutely love that magazine and they have got me playing games I would never have previously considered. It is an extremely well written magazine and very easy on the eye. The reviews are pretty good.

I also but Retro Gamer here in the UK too. It's great for discovering old classics.

I can't stand Edge though. Far too pretentious with their articles and reviews and it is very off-putting. They dont actually seem to enjoy games at all, just analysing them to death.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I buy Official Nintendo Magazine every month. I love that mag. Sure there's the internet, but I enjoy good old magazines, reading them over breakfast and in the bath. xD I like finding out what's going on with Nintendo, also the free gifts can be fun, and I dunno. I like looking back on magazines in a few years, like wow, that's when the Gamecube/Wii first came out.

ONM can also be really funny. It used to be very funny then Future Publishing took over but luckily they kept a lot of the same feel of it and also seem to be making more jokes lately, cos lots of people missed the silly NOM humour (I remember this one article about Charmander, it was hilarious..I don't remember the detail but whatever!)

They now have stuff like cliches for driving/racing/platform games which are amusing. But they have more regular-there each issue stuff, which bugs me cos it's a waste of space having exactly the same info in every magazine when you buy it each month, e.g directory of games at the back which barely change if at all. I kinda miss NOM but I still love ONM
    rawr

I mostly just use the internet (gamespot.com) these days. There is a Danish magazine called "Gamereactor", though. It's free and I sometimes tend to pick it up if I get the chance, but it's not often.

I used to buy two different PlayStation magazines every month some years ago, but after some time I just stuck with one of them, which had a demo disc - I actually miss trying out some games that you normally wouldn't. It was quite fun and you would see and try games that you maybe wouldn't even notice on the shelves. Hmm, maybe I should try and buy this specific magazine again... It's somewhat expensive, though. meh.

EGM - For Reviews
    GI - For Previews