Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Riddles....

I guess no one wanted to answer the table riddle. Well, I'll post this answer tomorrow.
    BEHOLD!!! The 88 Plymouth Sundance!!

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Pfffrt....my answer works...

There were three things on a table, and there were 4 people. They each got 1 thing, how did this happen?
    The last person took the table?

Ball of Pure being sephirothishere's Avatar

hey....how many hoods wre there.....like 5 white and 5 black....???
    if threr was wouldnt he jus be able to say...huh.....5 blacks...that mus leave me with a white or somehtin...and then the rest of my answer is like m&m......

Sephiro this here.

There are an infinite amount of hoods/hats. It is very possible to have 10 blacks hats or 10 white hats.

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

Well, for it to work the tenth prisoner has to pass along information about the whole line, but only in a "true or false" kind of way. Something like "there are more black hats than white hats in front of me, so I say black", but not just that because, well, it doesn't work from what I can see.

Seeing as the other 9 prisoners don't have a choice of answer if they want to live (which they will have to if the riddle should solve), the information these prisoners use to gain their hat colour must be puzzled together from all the previous answers, not just the one most recent.

So, there's (probably) the way to go about, when the key is found (what the tenth prisoner will inform the others about).

Answer is below.

10 hats for 10 prisoners: The key here is the code that the 10th person will use to communicate with the other prisoners. Since he sees 9 of the 10 hats, there will be an odd number of one color. He will say the color that is odd as his guess when the guard asks him. That is his communication to the prisoners that there are an odd amount of black hats in the group. He has no way of knowning what his hat is, so he will have to use his answer to communicate to the others. If he sees an even amount of Black hats in front of him and an odd about of White hats, he’ll say “White” as his answer. That tells person number 9 that there are an odd amount of white hats, so if he sees an even amount of White hats, he knows he’s got a White hat. If he sees an odd amount of White hats, he knows that his must be Black. Say he has a Black hat, so he guesses Black.

Observe:
    10 = “Black” because an odd amount of black hats are in front of him. 9B, 8B, 7W, 6B, 5W, 4W, 3W, 2B, 1B.

9 = Will see that there are 4 black hats in front of him, so he must logically be Black if 10 said Black (constituting the odd number of hats). He says Black.

8 = knows 9 is right and sees an odd amount of hats in front of him. He deduces that because there were an odd amount of Black hats to begin with and that he sees an odd number of hats in front of him, he too must be Black.

7 = knows that White was the even number and sees 3 hats in front of him. He must be White.

6 = Keeping track, Black was odd, and 2 prisoners were Black, so that equals an odd number remaining. Since he sees an even amount of hats, he knows he’s Black.

So on and so forth.

Then only thing you have to hope for is that the 10th person doesn’t have a grudge against the other 9.

Now it's your turn for another riddle.

Wow, that was a complicated system. I was thinking you could just say your color loudly for person in front of you=black and softly for person in front of you=white.

Quote Originally Posted by I Took the Red Pill View Post
    There were three things on a table, and there were 4 people. They each got 1 thing, how did this happen?
    The last person took the table?
    Agreed.

sly gypsy Recognized Member Levian's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Yep, there's multiple ways to do that one, really.

Anyway:

One morning a man is leaving on business trip and finds he left some paperwork at his office. He runs into his office to get it and the night watchman stops him and says, "Sir, don't get on the plane. I had a dream last night that the plane would crash and everyone would die!" The man takes his word and cancels his trip. Sure enough, the plane crashes and everyone dies. The next morning the man gives the watchman a $1,000 reward for saving his life and then fires him. Why did he fire the watchman that saved his life?

You might have to read this one twice...

He was sleeping on the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Decessus View Post
    He was sleeping on the job.
    I'd agree, because he said "I had a dream last night." and he is the Night watchman

sly gypsy Recognized Member Levian's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Nice work, detectives. Your turn.

I turn polar bears white
    and I will make you cry.
    I make guys have to pee
    and girls comb their hair.
    I make celebrities look stupid
    and normal people look like celebrities.
    I turn pancakes brown
    and make your champane bubble.
    If you sqeeze me, I'll pop.
    If you look at me, you'll pop.
    Can you guess the riddle?

The sun?
    Sigless