Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Riddles....

FFXIV Character

Kelesis Aleid (Phoenix)

I heard this way back in like second grade and it's crazy abstract. I'm suprised I figured it out back then.

What walks on four legs at dawn, two legs at twilight, and three legs at sunset?

Probably the most common riddle ever, it's apparently what the Sphinx asked Oedipus.

A man.
    Sigless

FFXIV Character

Kelesis Aleid (Phoenix)

Quote Originally Posted by abrojtm View Post
    Probably the most common riddle ever, it's apparently what the Sphinx asked Oedipus.

A man.
    Word. Get to it, abrojtm.

Another riddle to keep our minds spinning.

Three men went into a hotel to rent a room. The desk clerk said they had one upstairs and that it would be 30.00 so each man gave him a 10 dollar bill.

Later the hotel manager came in and the clerk told him that he rented the last room upstairs and got the 30.00 for it. The manager said that he overcharged and the room was only 25.00 so he told him to take 5.00 back up with apologies

The desk clerk got into the elevator with five one dollar bills. On the way up he wondered how he would split 5 dollars between three men. Finally he decided to give them each a dollar back and keep 2 dollars for a tip.

So.... How much did each man originally pay for the room? ans: 10 dollars

The clerk gave them each a dollar back so now how much did each man pay? ans: 9 dollars

Well if 9 times 3 is 27 and the clerks two dollars makes 29 dollars, where is the other dollar to make 30?
    BEHOLD!!! The 88 Plymouth Sundance!!

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

9 times three is indeed 27, and that is what the men paid including the clerk's tip. The remaining three is those which are split up between the three men.

It's still abrojtm's turn though, right?

i n v i s i b l e Tech Admin o_O's Avatar
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Humphrey Squibbles (Sargatanas)

Each man should have paid $8.33.
    Taking $2 from all three men is taking $0.66 from each man; $8.33 + $0.66 = $9.
    Including this, they have paid $27.
    The $3 remaining dollars are given back to them, making the total amount $30.

Yeah, I it's their turn, but me wanted a riddle to go on.

Anyway, yeah. It's all about wording. You can't add to something you don't have.

Yea and I haven't been paying attention.

There's a man that lives on the tenth floor of his apartment building. He only takes the elevator when it's raining. Why does he usually take the steps?

This one is dumb.
    Sigless

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

He is a dwarf.

FFXIV Character

Kelesis Aleid (Phoenix)

OK. Totally confounded with this one.

Yea, he's a dwarf/midget. He only rode the elevator when it rained because he couldn't reach the buttons, but when it rained he took his umbrella and pressed the button with it!
    Sigless

Back from the Abyss ValkyrieWing's Avatar

Silently he stalks me
    Running as I run
    Creeping as I creep
    Dressed in black
    He disappears at night
    Only to return with the sun

What is it?
    ~Ye must desire respite from thy empty existence. Thou shalt have it.~

Shadow, but isn't it o_O's turn?

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

A whodunnit:

Mr. Jones, a well known, wealthy businessman arrives home from work around 5pm one Saturday afternoon to find a ransom note at his door; "If you want to see your son again, tonight you will bring $250000 to the largest tree in the park and leave it in the bag there."

He immediately calls the police, who begin investigating.
    When questioned about everyone who was near his house that day, he replies that his wife had been home during the day as it was her day off.
    His neighbour's son had his birthday party as well, which Mr. Jones' son had attended. At the party there had been Bobo the clown to entertain, and the neighbour, but otherwise, no other adults.
    He also said that a plumber had been around near 4pm to fix the kitchen sink, as the pipe beneath had sprung a leak.

The policeman began questioning these people and they gave the following accounts:

Mr. Jones' neighbour:
    "Yeah, my kid had a party, there were 20 screaming children until about 4, when they started to leave. Most of the kids lived on the same street, so they just walked home.
    There was a clown here too, "Bozo", or something like that. I thought he was rubbish; the kids liked him though. He kept making these dumb balloon animals, he'd puff them up making stupid faces. He left around 4:30, as he had to pack up his stuff. I left at around 4:20, to drop off the kids that don't live on our street."

Mr. Jones' wife:
    "I didn't even notice, I thought he was still next door. The plumber arrived at 4, and fixed the kitchen sink and then my husband came in waving this ransom note and I fainted. I was out back in the garden for most of the day, which is on the other side of the house to where the party was, so I barely heard them all day."

Bobo the clown:
    "The kids were good, they loved my balloon tricks. I don't remember the kid you're talking about though, there were about 50 of them. The guy's other kid is having a party next month, so maybe he'll ask me to come back. I wouldn't mind doing a party for the guy next door though, he lives in a mansion. Must have a ton of dough to waste on clowns."

Plumber:
    "I arrived to do some work on their kitchen around 4. It was a pretty easy job, only took about half an hour, but when I was leaving, I heard a bit of a noise next door. The fence was too high for me to see over, but I saw a balloon rise into that big tree, so I climbed up to have a look. I saw a clown muscle a kid into the back of a van and drive off.

The policeman arrested one of these people immediately after taking their account. Who was it, and why?

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

Either Bobo the clown or the Plumber must be lying, since their stories differentiate. After re-reading them a couple of times I realized that the balloon would not rise up into the tree if the clown had "puffed them up" himself.

The plumber is my answer.