Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Worth dishing out the money?

The only issue with the fatboy PS2 is that if it breaks (and they are know to) you are pretty much screwed and will end up having to move to PC or Xbox. It'll be increasingly difficult to replace. In the long run you may end up saving yourself money and grief by going the PC route.

Tell me the stats on your comp and maybe I'll be able to make some recomendations. Also keep in mind that FFXI is emulated (badly) onto PC from PS2. While it still looks and runs arguably better on PC it's definitely not optimized to where it could for PC. The problem? It runs more based on processor power than on vid card.

I would definitely recommend going the PC route. Depending on your computer, the hardware upgrades needed to run the game smoothly could turn out costing around the same as it would for all the PS2 equipment. It's also more reliable, as Yearg said, than hoping your Playstation isn't going to conk out.

There's also USB adapters available that allow you to use your Playstation controller. I bought mine for somewhere around 5-10$ on eBay, and it makes the game so much easier to play. It's cheaper than buying an actual PC game controller, and the official Sony controllers tend to be a bit more sturdy than the PC wannabe's.

Here are my comp specs
    - AMD Athlon Processor- 898MHz
    -Windows XP
    -NVIDIA GeForce 6200
    -512 MB of RAM
    -105GB hard drive space
    -cable internet

As for PC, just buy a logitech or saitek PC controller for 20 bucks. Much better then using the PC controls. >.>

As for volume on the good music. Yeah it's been said, just change the settings under options, or just turn off your speakers. >.>
    This space intentionally left blank.

Me again!
    Just out of curiousity I ran the benchmark test on my dad's computer which has a heck of a lot better cpu than my computer does, but also has considerably less RAM. As a result, I found that my computer ran the benchmark test a LOT better on high resolution than his did... so I'm wondering, if I just get more RAM think that would make the game playable?
    This is the last question I promise Thanks to everyone who has put up with me so far and answered my myriad of questions. For people who are more computer-savvy than me, if I were to get more RAM (I have 512MB right now) how much more would you recommend I get? Think it would even make a difference?

I think because of the way FFXI is built (i.e. built for PS2 and then just dumped on PC), it's heavily reliant on CPU more than anything. If anything, more RAM and a better graphics card, are always going to benefit you.

Most graphics cards that can run FFXI really well, are pretty damn cheap now. RAM I'm not sure about.

Anyways, I think it's worth upgrading PC to play FFXI, defenately!

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."