Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Connections to FFT.

Super-Rad Recognized Member Spatvark's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Ivalice is not a world. This needs to be stressed, something people seem to miss a lot. In FFT and Vagrant Story, Ivalice is a kingdom. Meanwhile, in FF12 it's a region (like say, the Baltics), which includes Valendia (where Vagrant Story is set), Ordalia (the nation that had been at war with Ivalice before the beginning of FFT, now a continent, so it probably absorbed what had been the kingdom of Ivalice to the west of it, whilst Ivalice's name passed to the region), and Kerwon (which is entirely new).

FFT is set in Ivalice. FFT:A is set on a southern peninsula of FFT's Ivalice, by the looks of it to me, comparing the FFT and FFT:A maps. FF12 is set in the Ivalice region; the map I'm looking at suggests it's just east of the edge of the FFT map. VS is set in a small region of the northern continent of the FF12 map, though no map is ever seen in VS to offer visual evidence of this.

Basically, it could easily be the same world in all four games; the only thing that really goes against it is the lack of Bangaa, Nu Mou and Viera in FFT, but even that is far from definitive. All kinds of reasons could exist for that to have been so. So yeah, might, might not.

Images are FF12 Ivalice, FFT:A Ivalice, and FFT Ivalice, from left to right.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Seriously the best band in the world.
    And here's where I'll stay / For ten years and a day
    We're on a quest to find hidden treasure / And mystery on The Wild Sea

Quote Originally Posted by Spatvark View Post
    Ivalice is not a world. This needs to be stressed, something people seem to miss a lot. In FFT and Vagrant Story, Ivalice is a kingdom. Meanwhile, in FF12 it's a region (like say, the Baltics), which includes Valendia (where Vagrant Story is set), Ordalia (the nation that had been at war with Ivalice before the beginning of FFT, now a continent, so it probably absorbed what had been the kingdom of Ivalice to the west of it, whilst Ivalice's name passed to the region), and Kerwon (which is entirely new).

FFT is set in Ivalice. FFT:A is set on a southern peninsula of FFT's Ivalice, by the looks of it to me, comparing the FFT and FFT:A maps. FF12 is set in the Ivalice region; the map I'm looking at suggests it's just east of the edge of the FFT map. VS is set in a small region of the northern continent of the FF12 map, though no map is ever seen in VS to offer visual evidence of this.

Basically, it could easily be the same world in all four games; the only thing that really goes against it is the lack of Bangaa, Nu Mou and Viera in FFT, but even that is far from definitive. All kinds of reasons could exist for that to have been so. So yeah, might, might not.

I love you.

Are we sure the world isn't called Ivalice? I just happened to play the demo and the first text it shows is "About a story of a world called Ivalice."

Quote Originally Posted by Vaan THF View Post
    Are we sure the world isn't called Ivalice? I just happened to play the demo and the first text it shows is "About a story of a world called Ivalice."
    FFXII world is still Ivalice.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeromus_X View Post
    What is this source that says that they're in the same world?
    Check this thread, my first post from the bottom of the page - I have a quote from an interview with Matsuno (you know, that guy, I think he'svaguely connected with the creation of FF XII :kaoindif; if you want to check the article, the link is in my post above that one....

Like Paul, I think the fact whether or not it's the same world doesn't change anything really....but it was fun researching interviews for more info

Quote Originally Posted by Spatvark View Post

Thank you so, so much! I think you have already posted that, haven't you? Or was it someone else? Anyway, I have been mentioning those maps in one of my posts in the subject, but couldn't find the related post anymore. If they aren't all happening in the same world, then the way the maps all work together is really odd, to say the least....

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

This seems to be the quotation you keep leaning on (even though they're not the words of Matsuno himself).
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Kasavin and Brad Shoemaker
    He was understandably mum about the plot, though he did confirm that there are no direct connections to any previous game set in Ivalice--it's the same world, but don't expect any familiar faces.
    Everything considered, it's not at all a conclusive statement. By "the same world," he easily could have been referring to the consistent atmosphere and fantasy setting that pervades Ivalice in its numerous incarnations. It can be taken either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi View Post
    This seems to be the quotation you keep leaning on (even though they're not the words of Matsuno himself).
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Kasavin and Brad Shoemaker
    He was understandably mum about the plot, though he did confirm that there are no direct connections to any previous game set in Ivalice--it's the same world, but don't expect any familiar faces.
    Everything considered, it's not at all a conclusive statement. By "the same world," he easily could have been referring to the consistent atmosphere and fantasy setting that pervades Ivalice in its numerous incarnations. It can be taken either way.
    I think it's a whole. There's this quot, plus other from members of the development team (if you check the other interview) who say basically the same thing, the fact that the maps of the different games related to "Ivalice" seem to work together (Edit: I know someone put FF XII's and FF T's, maps one after the other, so that the Ordalia parts of the FF T map and of the FF XII map are aligned and they work very well as a continuation of each other - check Spatvark's post above). Plus small things, from one game to another, that seem to indicate continuity. I'd say it's a lot of coincidences if those are all completely different worlds

But I agree, any of those elements alone isn't convincing per se - and even with all of them, it's still not 100% sure if it's one and the same world or parallel ones. That being said, in the interview with team members (direct quotes this time), they are asked directly at one point if it's the same world, and the reply is "[....]I would say that this is another version, maybe, of what you've seen previously. We'd like to show a different version of Ivalice." I would think, if it wasn't the same world at all, saying so would be much more simple. But, again, that doesn't tell us whether they are parallel worlds or on the same timeline.

Oh well, with Matsuno gone from SE, we may very well never know for sure....
    Last edited by Aria28; 10-30-2006 at 06:42 PM.

actually the quote isn't as conclusive as i thought, you're right ryukishi. it's basically open to either way as things stand and square will probably never confirm it either way to let everyone imagine their own idea.