Thread: Why do some people become overly sentimental?

Banned

Default Why do some people become overly sentimental?

It's true that sentimentality could pretty much be an illusion, but is that really it?
    I became sentimental shortly after the new millenium, and I totally worship the 90's.
    Probably I just feel like it cuz I was this happy child back then, but I do think there's a grain of logic in my whiny sentimentality, what with parents who diverced in 2001, school going downhill because of my being lazy and tired of everything, inability to really feel for things the same way and stuff like this.

The loss of strong feelings for everything is very frustrating: eight years ago I could become exalted just from visiting my mother's parents, whom I like very much.
    Nowadays it's nothing special at all, I'm just there, and it's over in an instant; time passes too fast.

I actually think you *are* happier during childhood, because you enjoy life in a much more free-spirited way, and you don't yet feel the burden of being an adult and "take responsibility".
    You can fool around as much as you like and be judged as completely normal, but suddenly you "shouldn't" do this and that, because it's "too childish".

This thread makes me feel my age.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I can only assume that your emotions become less intense after you pass age 16. I remember being incredibly happy after visiting my Grandparents, Friends, Aunts, Uncles and Cousins. Nowadays, doing so seems like a chore. Don't get me wrong - I love and care for my family very much, but I don't look forward to 'get-togethers' as much as I used to.

The 2000's and the horrible events the world has experienced have hardened people's emotions.
    "As the days go by, we face the increasing inevitability that we are alone in a godless,
    uninhabited, hostile and meaningless universe. Still, you've got to laugh, haven't you?"

Ball of Pure being sephirothishere's Avatar

i hate people that are sentimental and and cry when soemone on teh tv dies....goddammit....
    im not a very emotional person.....

Sephiro this here.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_20 View Post
    You can fool around as much as you like and be judged as completely normal, but suddenly you "shouldn't" do this and that, because it's "too childish".
    Screw it, do what you wanna do. Live your life the way you wanna do it. I mean what's the sense in living if you're trying to please someone else, and end being miserable doing so?

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I get so sentimental about everything! Less so these days I guess but I still have some things I am. I miss something that happened a few weeks ago and I still feel really sentimental about it I guess especially when I see photos or hear music that reminds me....

And I do it with friends a lot, like ohh remember the good old days when we were so close etc...thoguh recently I've got used to the fact friends change and move on and life has to change etc.

Oh, but anyway, yes you are happier during childhood, it's bloody easier. xD Work is a pretty big responsibility for me at the moment, and it makes me miss being a carefree child and going down to play on the bridge with my friends, having crushes on older guys and listening to the spice girls, haha.

But lots of things dont have to change I'll still be childish and stuff if I want to and I'll certainly carry on liking whatever I like. People are always gonna say "you shouldnt do that, or this" because they are silly and just secretly wish they could do it themselves.
    rawr

Ohhh, I get sentimental about everything!
    I could pick up a stone from the ground, and name it. I could become attached to the stone in less than thirty minutes, or so.
    I am super-sensitive, which might have something to do with it, but I'm definitely sentimental about any object or thing.
    I'm sentimental about TV shows I watched as a kid. I still think they are cool, now. Muppets, Barney the Dinosaur, etc.

I don't care who thinks I'm childish. Why should I care what they think? Overall I prefer being an adult to a child, because now I have some control over my life at least.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I am super sentimental.

I cried at that one credit card commercial where the Dad is watching his little girl grow up and stuff and then they dance at her wedding and she's a little girl again. Awwwwwwwwwww! ;_;

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

When EoFF came to this state maybe?

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    having crushes on older guys and listening to the spice girls
    I do one of these things. I'll leave suspense in the air as to which one.