Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Asperger's Syndrome

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I know someone who has it and he's annoying. I greatly dislike him.

There's one guy I met on the Computer Science floor of my college with it. He is kind of socially inept, but he admits that he knows he is. He also has a tendancy to either be moving rhythmically at all times or "twitch".

He's kind of annoying, but I know it's due to his syndrome and I feel bad for him, but he just doesn't know when to stop talking sometimes.
    "In the garden sleeps a messenger."
    Arrode (retired): RDM75/BRD70/WHM65/NIN37/BLM37

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    IMO a lot of anti-social people would like to have Asperger's because one of the "symptoms" that sometimes manifests itself is above average intelligence.

It justifies anti-social behavior and at the same time gives them a reason to think that they're better than people who deride them for being anti-social in the first place.

I'm certainly not accusing anyone on EoFF or anywhere else of that, just my opinion.

A key difference between an anti-social person and an Asperger patient is that the Asperger patient actually can't interact with others the same way normal people do because their brain processes information coming from people they interact with differently.
    That is precisely my thoughts about this.

Isn't Asperger supposed to be a rare disease? Maybe there is some sort of correlation between people with Asperger and people who play Final Fantasy but I'm very suprised at the number of people in this thread alone who have said that they have Asperger. Not accusing those people of anything, just sayin' that I'm very surprised given how rare this disease is supposed to be.

..a Russian mountain cat. Yamaneko's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

No, but I probably have made cow disease.

Quote Originally Posted by Miriel
    That is precisely my thoughts about this.

Isn't Asperger supposed to be a rare disease? Maybe there is some sort of correlation between people with Asperger and people who play Final Fantasy but I'm very suprised at the number of people in this thread alone who have said that they have Asperger. Not accusing those people of anything, just sayin' that I'm very surprised given how rare this disease is supposed to be.
    Erm, I don't want to sound rude, but Asperger's is not a disease. People are born with it. If you're going to have precise thoughts on something, you should research it a little bit first. I know a lot of people with Asperger's like Final Fantasy, but so what? Far more people without it like Final Fantasy, obviously. I'm trying to say you can't make a comparison. Many people with Asperger's like computers, but that's because they become fascinated by them more easily. Still, many people without it like computers. It is rare, yes, but you may be thinking of the rarity of pure autism. It's less than one in every thousand people who have Asperger's... could be more rarer.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post

Erm, I don't want to sound rude, but Asperger's is not a disease. People are born with it. If you're going to have precise thoughts on something, you should research it a little bit first. I know a lot of people with Asperger's like Final Fantasy, but so what? Far more people without it like Final Fantasy, obviously. I'm trying to say you can't make a comparison. Many people with Asperger's like computers, but that's because they become fascinated by them more easily. Still, many people without it like computers. It is rare, yes, but you may be thinking of the rarity of pure autism. It's less than one in every thousand people who have Asperger's... could be more rarer.
    "Asperger syndrome is listed as a "rare disease" by the Office of Rare Diseases (ORD) of the National Institutes of Health (NIH). This means that Asperger syndrome, or a subtype of Asperger syndrome, affects less than 200,000 people in the US population." - National Institutes of Health (NIH)

Well, they certainly don't know what the hell they're talking about because it's definitely not a disease. I guarantee it.

Here: http://www.disability.vic.gov.au/dsonline/dsarticles.nsf/pages/Asperger's_syndrome?OpenDocument - click it, press control and F, type 'disease' and hit return.

Jesus, I should take charge of their job because they don't know what they're doing and saying AS is a disease is quite hurtful actually. They shouldn't say that. Also, I know AS is rare, but that rare? I don't know.

Yep. It's not a disease, it's a syndrome, as evidenced by the name.

Banned

Yeah, I got Asperger's Syndrome, at least this school doctor said so.

Anyway, it's obviously a pretty mild one: I've got some social problems and tend to grow obsessed with stuff, but that's about it.

There's little point about flipping out over semantics. People sometimes say "disease" when what they are really meaning is "condition" or "syndrome."

It certainly doesnt' invalidate everything else they say just because they placed "disease" after "Asperger's" when that's the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    SNIP
    I'm certainly not accusing anyone on EoFF or anywhere else of that, just my opinion.
    SNIP
    I can see where you're coming from. However, in my case, I was already diagnosed with dyspraxia at an early age. My brain IS different. I have co-ordination problems, I hate crowds, I hold my pen awkwardly, et cetera. I only found out about autism in general, and Asperger's syndrome a few months back. But I was intrigued. I have most of the symptons on the autism Wiki page, but almost all of the symptons on the Asperger's syndrome page.

Furthermore, there's somebody in my college who has Asperger's. I usually talk to him online, but I've talked to him in-person before. He told me once that he always thought I had Asperger's. Who's better in making a judgment than an actual Aspie?
    Like I said, I wasn't accusing any specific individual, here or anywhere else, of wanting to be an Aspie when they're just anti-social. But I do believe it probably happens with some regularity. An Aspie might/will know an Aspie, but a non-Aspie is not in the best position to make that determination about his or herself, especially when they want it to be true.

Contributions
    • Contributions to former EoFF Map

Asparagus syndrome?

My cat had that once.

(Asperger's Syndrome is a form of autism, but its pretty low-end in comparison. Those who have Asperger's normally appear to suffer from ADD but they're still capable of having normal social relations in comparison to those with Autism who are by nature socially innept. Also, Asperger's normally don't excell in forms of logical, mathamatical or visual excellence. They're pretty normal people, sometimes a little eccentric... but so are a lot of people. I can get more information from a friend who has Asperger's if you like.)

Boldly go.

Wow, there's a lot of people here with it. I don't think I've met anyone with it. I worked as a Special Needs Assistant last year, but there was no-one in our school who had Asperger's. Do people with it usually go to non-mainstream schools (like the boy in The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time)?

I haven't got any syndromes or disorders. Woohoo!

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Dang man, Ender is right on the money every time.

Shaun, there's no need to get all upset just because I said (and the source I quoted) calls it a disease. It's not like I meant "disease" as an insult. It's just semantics arguing over "disease" or "syndrome". I mean, that's not even a point worth arguing over.

Quote Originally Posted by Reine View Post

I would agree on the high intelligence thing posted earlier, as almost every person with Asbergers ive met has been really smart and seemingly beyond your average joe. According to what people say, I supposedly have a very high IQ myself, but im highly skeptical of this
    I got the 99th percentile of verbal aptitude myself in my IQ exam. No lie.

The rest wasn't nearly as good.

I think people with Aspergers manifest their added intelligence in one major area. There is a common example of a boy being obsessed with maps, literally knowing directions after riding one way in a car. Most people with Aspergers probably have some kind of passion, sometimes in an obsessive way almost similar to an idiot savant.

I am an amazing reader and writer. I just have a passion and talent for it.

And as for the whole "Syndrome/Disease" debate, why not just call it a gift? It creates difficulties for me, but it also helps me. Different brain structure breeds good things as well as bad. Mostly you can label a distinct strength to some form of art in mental ilness, ADD, Aspergers... most so-called ilnesses. I have mood variation as well as Aspergers; 5 years of my life was torment. But yet, I can draw inspiration from it now. I can live the pain my characters in my writing feel, and add more emotion to their problems.
    Last edited by Vincent, Thunder God; 10-28-2006 at 03:02 AM.

I got upset because a disease is not something you are born with. Are some people in this world just plain stupid, or what? No offence to you Miriel, but them calling it that means they're not taking it seriously, and if a fact like that directly affected you, you would be offended as well.

Ender, I know once again that you weren't saying it about me, but, in a way, I do hope I have it. Why? So I know there are more people similar to me. No other reason. I already have people other than myself who're convinced I have AS, but sometimes I think my traits are more on the side of autism, as I always prefer to be alone and don't want any social interaction.

So, don't get me wrong, but please don't go thinking that people 'like to think they have AS' for a way of bragging or sympathy. If you suspected you had AS, there's nothing that isn't deadly serious about it. This is a life-changing discovery for anyone, and the assessment I'm having next month will hopefully bring an end to my current quest for truth.