Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Final review

FFXIV Character

Laurelin Kementari (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    yeah but it's better than "HAY HOW ABOUT X FOR EXTREME, AND DEATH FOR... DEATH?!? EXTREME DEATH MAN THIS TOTALLY RULES I AM A SURFER FROM CALIFORNIA"
    I always saw him as 'Exceeding Death', but that was before he was called X-Death, which is also why I prefer ExDeath. ANd even so, X-Death is a kick-ass villain, one of the best, and the complaining about his name is getting...

The giver of *hugs* boys from the dwarf's Avatar

yeah. his names fine. and criticising it is being ignorant of some other names.

E.G.

chaos. so plain and normal but still cool and it works like X-death.
    the emperor. thats it. no name. no nothing, just "the emeror" but at least it worked.

i always thought zeromus sounded a little cheesy but its an amazing final boss and X-death is just as good a name as any of these.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr3x_RRJdd4
    ...*holds up free hugs sign.*

i'm not saying he isn't a cool villain, i haven't even played FFV so i can't say... i just thought he had a bad name. chaos and the emperor, while generic, are a lot cooler sounding.

i remember when i was about 8 and i used to invent my own cartoon characters. i had the big enemy bad guy called "dark death".

when i think back to that now, it makes me cringe immensely. but ExDeath is only very slightly a better name.

it's not a big deal so don't get all defensive, i'm just stating my opinion.

meh. i wont get into a big debate, seems as video games are littered with names that some people could just easily make up on the spot without thinking.

i think X-death suits the game fine. its not a great name but at least it works.

anyway.

elpizo. how are you doing on the optional dungeon? i look forwards to hearing about the fight with enuo and the necromancer job class.

EDIT: i've found some videos on youtube that show all the GBA boss fights. im listening to the GBA big bridge tune and plan to listen to the X-death tune and final boss tune.

sounds good. im not sure if i like anthologies music or GBA better right now.

im sure the script will be fine. i noticed on the first gilgamesh fight the lines have been changed from.

"your combined powers...too strong...NOT!"

to

"i was wrong... i cant fight four people... did you actually believe me?!"

i prefer the "NOT!" but its cool. i wont criticise the game for its script.
    Last edited by boys from the dwarf; 10-23-2006 at 04:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by boys from the dwarf View Post
    meh. i wont get into a big debate, seems as video games are littered with names that some people could just easily make up on the spot without thinking.

i think X-death suits the game fine. its not a great name but at least it works.
    like i say it's not a big deal, only one characters name. i just expect better from square because usually they are good with this stuff.

ExDeath is former Death and X-Death is extra death. Get it right!

Anyway, from your review, youve hyped me up for it even more

o.k. that video i watched on you-tube wasn't of the GBA battle so i still dont know what the music or script will be like for a lot of this stuff but im really looking forwards to it.

how are you doing on the optional dungeon?

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by boys from the dwarf View Post
    o.k. that video i watched on you-tube wasn't of the GBA battle so i still dont know what the music or script will be like for a lot of this stuff but im really looking forwards to it.

how are you doing on the optional dungeon?
    I shall be honest, I'm still in the beginning. I'm quite busy tehse days And haven't had time to play any games at all.
    Also, I went in it the day I finished the game and got my @$$ handed to me on the first floor. That says something: a) I'm underleveled (lv 34 with everybody) or b) The bonus dungeon is HARD or c)Both.
    I've heard soemthing about a boss-battle-thingie or something, like you could fight former bosses from the game (not Enuo or Neo-X-Death, I believe). I'm not sure, anybody knows more?

Alright, I'll see if I can dive in the bonus dungeon, but I can't make any promisses. It's hard (the dungeon) and it's hard (to get playing, I'm quite busy).

i guess you've just got to remember to use the huge amounts of AP in the final floors and get a good job setup. good luck and tell us when you've done it.

FFXIV Character

NOW, THE MOMENT YOU ALL HAVE NOT BEEN WAITING FOR, SINCE YOU'RE ALL PLAYING THE GAME YOURSELVES NOW, THE SCORE OF FFV ADVANCE'S TRANSLATION!

Yup, you pals got it right, I got the english ROM.
    And I'm ready for another playthrough.

I'm not very far in the game yet but I can say so far, the translation is absolutely beautiful! So richely compared to the fantranslations! So funny even!

Galuf and Bartz (yes, it's Bartz now) have maned to make me smile so often even though I'm just at the Pirate's Cave now.

Check:

http://www.maj.com/gallery/Elpizo/Sephiroth/screen1.png

http://www.maj.com/gallery/Elpizo/Sephiroth/screen2.png

http://www.maj.com/gallery/Elpizo/Sephiroth/screen3.png

See? And the first few minutes are full of it! I won't spoil too much and let you all enjoy it for yourselves. Also in the menu and in battle the translation seems nice. But it's mostly the dialog we wanted better, right? Well, the dialog is good, what can I say? Lenna clearly speaks as a princess, Bartz has this care-free attitude, Galuf is the daring old man and Faris is Faris. Oh, no worries, Faris doesn't have a Pirate accent, but she doesn't speak normally all the time, either. Like, she called Lenna 'lass' when introducing Syldra (yup, it's Syldra!). Nothing special, but it sounds a bit more piratey. I like it.

I can say this: If FF V Advance wasn't perfect yet, with this new english translation (correctly this time) it certainly has become so.

Score: 10/10! Way to go Square!

EDIT: On topic of ExDeath's name, the official name of ExDeath is from now on Exdeath, thank you for your attention.
    Last edited by Elpizo; 11-08-2006 at 05:27 PM.

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Elpizo View Post
    Galuf and Bartz (yes, it's Bartz now) have maned to make me smile so often even though I'm just at the Pirate's Cave now.
    Can't you name Butz anymore when he meets Lenna? I still think the character portraits look bad, and Butz's portrait looks so much different from his sprite, so without the text box mentioning the names, I have a hard time recognizing Butz from the portrait. The line "Whoa! You're pretty gutsy for an old-timer" is taken directly from FFV Anthology, IIRC.

See? And the first few minutes are full of it! I won't spoil too much and let you all enjoy it for yourselves. Also in the menu and in battle the translation seems nice. But it's mostly the dialog we wanted better, right? Well, the dialog is good, what can I say? Lenna clearly speaks as a princess, Bartz has this care-free attitude, Galuf is the daring old man and Faris is Faris. Oh, no worries, Faris doesn't have a Pirate accent, but she doesn't speak normally all the time, either. Like, she called Lenna 'lass' when introducing Syldra (yup, it's Syldra!). Nothing special, but it sounds a bit more piratey. I like it.

I can say this: If FF V Advance wasn't perfect yet, with this new english translation (correctly this time) it certainly has become so.

EDIT: On topic of ExDeath's name, the official name of ExDeath is from now on Exdeath, thank you for your attention.
    Those are good news (Syldra and Exdeath). Hopefully Cara will be something better than Vile-Krile and that Sarisa won't be Salsa. By the way, how do you know it's Exdeath? Are you that far already? You were only in the Pirates' cave when you first sent that post of yours.
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

Yep, I've been to Tycoon Castle and it's defenitely Sarisa.

Another one of my favorite changes so far is that the spell's aren't numered anymore like Fire 2, Fire 3 etc but instead they use the names from FFX like Fira, Firega etc...

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth1999AD View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Elpizo View Post
    Can't you name Butz anymore when he meets Lenna? I still think the character portraits look bad, and Butz's portrait looks so much different from his sprite, so without the text box mentioning the names, I have a hard time recognizing Butz from the portrait. The line "Whoa! You're pretty gutsy for an old-timer" is taken directly from FFV Anthology, IIRC.

Those are good news (Syldra and Exdeath). Hopefully Cara will be something better than Vile-Krile and that Sarisa won't be Salsa. By the way, how do you know it's Exdeath? Are you that far already? You were only in the Pirates' cave when you first sent that post of yours.
    You can still name him. But standard name is Bartz. Cara is Krile, which is good. And Faris is Sarisa.

Well, I editted my post later, ya know. On the first day I was playing this, I already got to world 2. Now I'm just in Bal Castle's basement training jobs before going to sage Ghido.

And no, the character portatraits are not horrible. Well, in my opinion. I can't understand how people can't recognize the portraits and the sprites they represent. They fit so smoothly in the dialogue, you're gonna love em.

I never played anthology, but this translation is still great and better.

So is there any new stuff to get in world 1? Because I'm almost dione with it and wanted to make sure I got everything before going on.

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by LostAmy View Post
    So is there any new stuff to get in world 1? Because I'm almost dione with it and wanted to make sure I got everything before going on.
    No new stuff in world 1 I'm afraid. Just getting Shiva and stuff. In world 3 however, you can get the new jobs (before you finish the game) Prophet, Gladiator and Cannoneer (or whatever their correct names are). And later, I'm not sure if it is after you finished the game or not, you can enter the HARD new dungeon and try to beat your way to the new superboss and the final new jobclass: Necromancer.

I'm doing well, I think ^^ In Bal Castle's Basement, I had Lenna master 4 jobs, Galuf master 3 jobs, Faris Master 3 Jobs and Bartz master 3 jobs. Took a loooong time, but it was worth it, at least I have 3 Freelancers now with good equipment and abilities that will get me through without any problems. I also discovered that I Karnak castle, there's a ribbon to get. You probably knew, but just be sure you get it.

Now, I'm past the Elder Tree in Moore forest, Krile just joined. The dialog between Galuf and Exdeath during their fight, well, I've seen it so many times before, but now actually being fully translated and correctly, I can say it touched me.

Oh well, on to Exdeath's castle. ^^

As a side-note, everybody seems to have problems with that Twin Tania boss in the Cleft of Dimensions... But, you can kill it with lv5 Death when it charges for that stronger version of Megaflare, right? At least, that's what the bestiary told me. You guys knew this, didn't you? Correct me if I'm wrong.