Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My Final review

Blog Entries

Are you serious? Killing Tania is THAT easy?

FFXIV Character

Laurelin Kementari (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Martyr View Post
    Are you serious? Killing Tania is THAT easy?
    I'm not very sure...

*Checks Japanese Bestiary*

Yeah! It seems Twin tania has 2 forms. One form with lv39 and one with lv30. And a monster with lv 30 is good to Lv-5 Doom. I don't know when his lv is 30, but I think it's when he charges for that Gigaflare (?). After all, that book in the Cleft said somethign about him being weak when he charges, no?

So yeah, I think you can lv5-Doom him.

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Elpizo View Post
    And no, the character portatraits are not horrible. Well, in my opinion. I can't understand how people can't recognize the portraits and the sprites they represent. They fit so smoothly in the dialogue, you're gonna love em.

I never played anthology, but this translation is still great and better.
    I played the game yesterday a bit, and it seems the menus and the user interface have been improved a bit. The character portraits are appropriate for the dialogues, but I still think they look confusing, especially when the hair colors in the portraits don't match the hair colors of the sprites at all.

The translation has been pretty good and has had its funny parts, although I'm not too fond of Galuf's somewhat stereotypical "old man" accent. Oh well, "What a sweet-talker! As if you don't just have the hots for the little missy" (GBA) is still better than "Whatta buncha crap! You know it's just 'cause you got the hots for her!" (PSX). I'll comment about Faris's dialogue later when I decide to play the game again, and reach the Pirates' cave.
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth1999AD View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Elpizo View Post
    And no, the character portatraits are not horrible. Well, in my opinion. I can't understand how people can't recognize the portraits and the sprites they represent. They fit so smoothly in the dialogue, you're gonna love em.

I never played anthology, but this translation is still great and better.
    I played the game yesterday a bit, and it seems the menus and the user interface have been improved a bit. The character portraits are appropriate for the dialogues, but I still think they look confusing, especially when the hair colors in the portraits don't match the hair colors of the sprites at all.

The translation has been pretty good and has had its funny parts, although I'm not too fond of Galuf's somewhat stereotypical "old man" accent. Oh well, "What a sweet-talker! As if you don't just have the hots for the little missy" (GBA) is still better than "Whatta buncha crap! You know it's just 'cause you got the hots for her!" (PSX). I'll comment about Faris's dialogue later when I decide to play the game again, and reach the Pirates' cave.
    I found Galuf a bit weird too in the beginning, especially after playing the SNES translation, but, I got used to it pretty quick. I find his lines when he fights Exdeath just about legendary, but, that's probably because it's the most epic scene in any FF, at least for me.

I wanted to say, about the character portraits. I'm not going to tell you you have to liek them, this is about the people who dislike them in general.

They call them ugly, but can you call them that? They are not ugly, it's just the sprites that don't match their artwork. And I can see why that would be confusing, like Xezat's portrait looks quite different from his sprite, too, but I can't find the portraits ugly or horrible. Just my opinion about this matter.

Besides this: I've beaten Neo Exdeath yesterday! Now I'm in the bonus dungeon and it's HARD! I've beaten a very difficult boss in it yesterday, and I'm still only in the 'second level' as that guy who wants a behemoth calls it. You have to catch a Behemoth, bring it to a guy who will then open a door that will take you further, but a statue bloks the way along the path in that door, so you need to talk with another guy who has kinda a 'super-soft', you have 5 minutes to go to the statue and remove the petrification or you can get a new super-soft. When the petrification is removed, the monster attack you! Have fun beeting Grand Aevis, he comes with 2 Dark Elementals that will always revive when you kill them who use White Wind on Grand Aevis and thus heal him for 5500 HP when they are full health. Took me 5 tries to beat him. Hail Fuma Shuriken + Mighty Guard + Hastega + Curaga. Saved my behind.

This Bonus dungeon so far is really challenging. It seems you have to do certain things that take time to advance to a new level. I've had trouble with monsters quite some times (Skull Eaters that come in group together with a Soul Eater (even stronger)? Help!) And The only 2 bosses I faced in this dungeon so far were hard (Gill Turtle (or Gilgame) and Grand Aevis). Seems promissing for the Enuo...

I'm afraid it will only get harder. Do you guys EVER dream of something HARDER than Omega and Shinryuu in FF V? Well, now there is. Omega mkII (Not sure, but a stronger version of Omega) and Neo Shinryuu await you. Have fun!

Oh yeah, as a side note, you can enter and get 3 new jobs in teh dungeon once you have all 12 legendary Weapons. A scholar will run up to you then and say there was an earthquake. Then the sea between Mirage Town will start 'boiling', showing you were to dive with your submarine. I don't know if you can enter the real bonus dungeon itself before you finish the game, but you can get the 3 new jobs. When the credits have rolled by and ask you to save, there's also this one sentence saying 'A new thing has opened under the waves' (something like that).
    Last edited by Elpizo; 11-12-2006 at 12:02 PM.

Ouch, the new special dungeon sounds like FFII DoS's Souls of Rebirth with the exception that you can't save whenever you want to. If it wasn't for the chance to save everywhere, I'd have called SoR impossible. Perhaps you should consider mastering most classes, if not all of them, before entering the secret dungeon in FFVA?

I played some more of FFVA, and I got my first jobs. I must say, the battle graphics are beautiful, clearly better than on SNES. The first boss inside the Wind Shrine was amazingly easy. He probably died on the second turn, and he didn't even have a chance to make his wings cover him. I thought Faris' way of speaking was totally fine. With Faris showing a relatively masculine portrait when speaking, it seems the game tries harder than in other versions to make you think Faris is a guy, but I can't really say how well that works since I already know about her gender.

Finally, Thief's sprint ability is amazing! You can normally run quite fast with the Dash button, but the sprint ability really makes your running something different. The only problem with it is that if you need to turn a lot, it can be quite hard to move around when sprinting.
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Oh dear, the music blows FFIVA's soundtrack out of the water. xD I'm happy they actually put effort into the sound, as tough as it is for the GBA.

Edit: OMG! Four save files! This is so 1337!

I didn't find anything wrong with FFIVA's music. FFVA's music seems fine too. The only problem I've had with FFVA's music so far is that the choir/voice instrument doesn't sound as good as in the SNES version of FFV. I also liked having 4 save files, especially when I often use several save slots. Oh, and Zeromus_X, things might get interesting for you when you get (SPOILER)Cara on your party and have her turn into a White Mage Kitty. ^^
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Hm. Are the level standards heightened for FFVA? I'm at level 4 and I'm only in the first cave! I remember the level charts for the original game to be kinda low in comparison to other FFs where you'd be at level 50 or so for the final dungeon (and I'm usually level 30-40 at the end of FFV. I guess I'll just have to see).

Also, the encounter rate seems heightened as well. Not that I don't mind an extra challenge, of course...

And yes!! White Mage Kitty power!

I think gaining levels is about the same as in SNES. However, I also noticed that random encounters seem to occur more frequently. The battles feel more fast-paced, though, even on the default (3rd fastest) battle speed. I always played on the fastest speed in SNES. Maybe the increase in random encounter rate makes you gain levels faster, provided you fight all the random battles?
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

FFXIV Character

Why, I did it! I beat the optional boss! He has ? HP! Says his Bestiary, anyway. I also beat Omega, Shinryu, Neo Shinryu (Dragon Lances + Jump for the win!) But Omega Mk.II so far seems like impossible to me. An Omega with Wall change? Auch.

If you want some advise for Enuo, get those rings that prevent Zombie + 4 Ribbons. That way, his [img]/xxx.gif[/img][img]/xxx.gif[/img][img]/xxx.gif[/img][img]/xxx.gif[/img][img]/xxx.gif[/img]ing annoying "Dance Macabre", which causes the zombie status, won't do anything. He also knows Grand Cross, a pretty strong Almagest even with Might Guard, Reaper Blade, Meltdown, actually, many new attacks. After soem time during the fight, it'll say "The Power of the Void is increasing!" and then your damage will be halved.
    You also can't save after the boss right before Enuo. Nor can you in the Final Floors of the optional dungeon. So be careful when heading there.

It was definately a challenge, I was lv 43 with everybody and had a good amount of jobs mastered with everybody. Besides, equiping each character with weapons like: Ragnarok, Apocalypse, A-good-thing-you-get-from-Neo-Shinryu and Mutsunokami and you're pretty strong. Nowhere near invincible though. Even with those weapons and good jobs, you have to be careful when facing things like Ironclads, a pair of Crystal dragons or a Hades.

And after our optional boss, we get our hands on Necromancer! Necromancer's are undead. So watch out when healing. You can learn their Dark Arts by simply beating a monster that has a dark art with your necromancer. Easier than blue magic.

Well, that's it for now. I'll save the boss rush for later. Glad you are apparently enjoying the game Sephiroth1999AD. At least I'm not alone.

Think I'll master a few more jobs, tough I always stick with the same abilities... Oh well. I still have to try-out Cannoneer. Gladiator is a good job, Oracle seems crappy (but its 1,5 ability points IS handy, it also has the highest magic stats, I believe) and Necromancer needs more use before I can say more about it.

EDIT: Hmm, about the encounter rate. I know oen of the new jobs has an ability that makes the encounters much less frequent. I think it's Oracle, but I'm not sure.