Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: who has tried ff xi

Quote Originally Posted by Lionx View Post
    I was tempted to post up an emo picture of someone cutting themselves with a spoon and on it saying "You are doing it wrong!"
    I feel like i'm missin' out Lionx

He shoulda' used the spork
    Chuck Noblet: Can anyone tell me the tragic irony of the Trojan War? Tina? Tina: Um, that horses are friendly creatures yet a hollow, wooden one was used to destroy Troy? Chuck Noblet: Wrong and no. Anyone else? Chip? Chip: That the mighty warrior Achilles was killed by a small cut to his ankle. Chuck Noblet: Chip is wronger. OK, here it is. The tragic irony of the Trojan War is that though it was fought over Helen, who was young and beautiful, by the time they rescued her ten years later, she was old and ugly. Tina: But wasn't recovering the king's wife reward enough for the Greeks? Chuck Noblet: Tina, an ugly woman is never a reward.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukasa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Omecle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alastair|UK View Post
    lol you do realise its notr just for ffxi
    lawl
    lawl
    lawl right

I hate FISHING Just thought I would throw that in there.

anyway when you say it drops you in the middle of nowhere did you get droped in the middle of Valkurm dunes at lvl 1? Cause I dont know about the rest of the people but I started in a city of MY choosing.

So what DO I do you may ask? I love to help other people do missions and quest that they would otherwise fail if they didnt have higher lvl help. I also enjoy farming rare items (oooh I am so going to post something on this later though ) Oh lets see, I also enjoy hanging around my online friends..FFXI has become my college family...like a home away from home. So I really hope you can see that there is more to something so dont go dissing something when you didnt give it that much of a chance.

I think WoW appeals to most people because of the easy and very casual play. FFXI appeals to the opposite type of person the most. It does take a lot more work to get anything done and FFXI lacks the type of PvP that people prefer from WoW. However, in FFXI you definitely feel like you've accomplished something when you hit 75 or finish certain missions or other similar things.

I've known a good number of FFXI players that have tried WoW. Some stay because they are angry with the customer service in FFXI, but I know quite a few of them quit after 3-4 months. In that time they've often leveled 2 or 3 toons to 60. Endgame options are somewhat limited in WoW compared to FFXI and there's not the same sense of community.

You can solo to 60 fairly quickly and very casually. Then you do instances over and over and over... or PvP a lot. Long time FFXI players find it limiting and boring. If casual gaming is your thing stay away from FFXI. FFXI has a ton to offer both mid level and especially endgame. You retain your character and can level several jobs on one character instead of having to level other toons.

However, FFXI does have a sharp learning curve and is very difficult to start at first.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

PvP?

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/gui...ageID=conflict

or Player vs Player if thats what you were unsure of.

My Youtube Page - Full of Capcom vs SNK 2 goodness!
    Check it out Nya~! @.@
    貓..貓..Yeh! X3

The problem with Ballista is the inaccessability. You have to get somewhere during a very strickly scheduled time to compete. You do not get to just go head on head with your friends or a team of friends (or enemies). You have to play a game.

Most people prefer their PvP to allow them to just challenge someone and try them 1v1 or maybe set up teams and fight each other. However, to 1v1 with someone in FFXi you have to compete in several Ballista matches and get points to do so. I think the PvP system of FFXI is fairly flawed.

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

Quote Originally Posted by Yeargdribble View Post
    I think WoW appeals to most people because of the easy and very casual play. FFXI appeals to the opposite type of person the most. It does take a lot more work to get anything done and FFXI lacks the type of PvP that people prefer from WoW. However, in FFXI you definitely feel like you've accomplished something when you hit 75 or finish certain missions or other similar things.

I've known a good number of FFXI players that have tried WoW. Some stay because they are angry with the customer service in FFXI, but I know quite a few of them quit after 3-4 months. In that time they've often leveled 2 or 3 toons to 60. .
    WoW actually now has a large amount of end game content now, including the rising of the level cap (its now 70... or something). I still dislike it regardless... because the Endgame content involves other WoWers...

I dont find it that bad, i like how its not central...but it is indeed under-advertised. However it is a team game...which FFXI is all bout, Ballista Instaports and Instawarps really did the trick though..these key items really help you go to your match, and that Ballista Earring helps alot for me knowing when one is up.

However...i have to agree that the job system is a bit more flawed in that aspect especially with subjobs...as well..i dont play PvP outside 60 and 30 caps...60 where your skills have matured a whole bunch...and 30 where your skills are limited and because you have a more...reason to choose odd subjobs due to their offers at lower lvls as opposed to others.

My Youtube Page - Full of Capcom vs SNK 2 goodness!
    Check it out Nya~! @.@
    貓..貓..Yeh! X3

Quote Originally Posted by Alastair|UK View Post
    lol you do realise its notr just for ffxi
    So when a Troll comes to these forums and posts about a game thats made by different developers, its accepted? I understand anyone can post anything anywhere. It is, in fact, a public forum. But making a post saying they didnt like FF and moved on to WoW is pointless. Why even make the post, especially on a forum built on/around FF? It makes no sense. So you can defend the WoW player that dislikes FFXI yet still posts on the FFXI forum, even though there was no initial attack being made. Just a comment as to why someone would make a negative-esqe post on a FF forum about another game for a different type of player. Thats all.
    Last edited by Darius; 10-17-2006 at 02:17 PM.
    [leeza]Holy crap! This is 855.22 kb! Our limit is 50. Read the sig restrictions posted above the sig field and PM a Knight/Admin if you do not understand them.[/leeza]

I just thought it was funny that he asked if we had tried FFXI, considering we're in a forum designed for FF games, specifically FFXI. Going to get a lot of bias opinions here, so I don't think he was even asking for any sort of advice, more or less just telling us he didn't like it.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Definitely not over 9000. No.78's Avatar

YOU MEAN THERE'S MORE TO FFXI THAN FISHING?!!? OMFG!!1111ONE

[/sarcasm]
    jkhkjg

ballsballsballs of steel Jimsour's Avatar

goldsmithing is the way to go
    I'm a big fan of the Mars Bar Diet; You don't eat the Mars bar, you stick it up your arse and let a rottweiler chase you home.

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

tis... someone in my LS apperently spent a year or so doing nothing but Gold Smith once he had the funds... now he has even more funds ._.

I was put in the country i chose (Windurst)

It put me in i think Windurst Woods.

When i started the game, i didn't think that (lvl'in and fishin') were the only things to do ... but i really wanted to lvl my character so i could do missions and quests >.>
    Chuck Noblet: Can anyone tell me the tragic irony of the Trojan War? Tina? Tina: Um, that horses are friendly creatures yet a hollow, wooden one was used to destroy Troy? Chuck Noblet: Wrong and no. Anyone else? Chip? Chip: That the mighty warrior Achilles was killed by a small cut to his ankle. Chuck Noblet: Chip is wronger. OK, here it is. The tragic irony of the Trojan War is that though it was fought over Helen, who was young and beautiful, by the time they rescued her ten years later, she was old and ugly. Tina: But wasn't recovering the king's wife reward enough for the Greeks? Chuck Noblet: Tina, an ugly woman is never a reward.