Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I was going to go emo

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Twisted Tinkerbell View Post
    What makes someone elmo? Well I think it's a mix of fashion and music.
    Hehe, elmo. xD
    rawr

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

This thread made me die a little inside.

Snow Patrol is not emo. Death Cab For Cutie is not emo. They're indie.

Quote Originally Posted by I Am Stoner View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Mage FF1 View Post
    I Am Stoner, none of those bands that you listed are emo.

Hahaha, yea they are dude, greenday now are emotional pop-rock, same thing with linkin' park and Papa Roach. The whole Emo genre of music is emotional music, so I was right, weither the emo band be in the popular culture genre or the heavy metal genre, if thier music is emotional it is emo.
    90% of the bands out there in the world have some type of emotion in their songs. So by your logic all those bands are emo. Right, I can see that you have no idea what you are talking about. So I will just leave it at that.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't think anyone really has the right to say they know what a band's genre is (or at least that they know it and therefore it's correct!), up to the band if you ask me... some people think death cab is emo, some don't , some think green day is, some don't. I think barely anyone even knows what "emo" means anymore. If you say if music is "emotional" it is emo, well all music is emo then. Being depressed/whining is not the only form of emotion. Happiness is an emotion, omg. Happy emos! Really, this thread, and emo is not making much more sense to me yet.
    rawr

You're only emo if you beleive that in your heart of hearts. But c'mon guys leave the bands outta this. >_< Besides, be yourself. Fudge the judgemental ignorants.

90% of the bands out there in the world have some type of emotion in their songs. So by your logic all those bands are emo. Right, I can see that you have no idea what you are talking about. So I will just leave it at that.

Ohhhhh boy, you have picked the wrong person to debate about music with buddy.

What you say is correct, I will make it clearer then, depressed emotion, also its 71% as the other 39% that makes up Popular Culture music has been created purly for marketing and money perpouses, its a known fact. I learned it in sound engineering and music technology college. Also, thier are all different kinds of emotional peices that would count as being emo even though they are not, i.e. The Verve - The Drugs Dont Work is an emo song mainly because it has emotional lyrics but yet the verve are indie. Damn this is hard to explaine. Hold on, i'll get all my old college books and be back in a second.
    Last edited by I Am Stoner; 10-16-2006 at 10:55 PM.

Ohhhhh boy, you have picked the wrong person to debate about music with buddy.

What you say is correct, I will make it clearer then, depressed emotion, also its 71% as the other 39% that makes up Popular Culture music has been created purly for marketing and money perpouses, its a known fact. I learned it in sound engineering and music technology college. Also, thier are all different kinds of emotional peices that would count as being emo even though they are not, i.e. The Verve - The Drugs Dont Work is an emo song mainly because it has emotional lyrics but yet the verve are indie. Damn this is hard to explaine. Hold on, i'll get all my old college books and be back in a second.
    Dude you're right. Get over it. ^.^; We all know that at least 60% of teens are into goth and emo themed stuff-including music. There's nothing to get all worked up about. It's all marketing, sign bands that fit in with what the consumers wants.

Plus the wide variety of bands offers everyone something to enjoy. I'm sick of the whole emo talk, if someone shows emotion, nothings wrong. Somethings wrong when that smurfer does the whole goth thing to follow fashion or to vent their extreme emotional depressed life-southpark cleared it all up dudes.

Quote Originally Posted by Skarr View Post
    Dude you're right. Get over it. ^.^;

Yea, I see your point, sorry man.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Being emo makes you emo. Listening to emo music doesn't, or Rye would be the emoest girl alive.

And yeah, whatever semantics about the language you want to get into, emo applies to a specific musical genre. It's a bit vague sometimes and does cross over with indie, especially (Mainly because indie used to be a status, not a genre), but yeah.

Edit: If you want to listen to some real emo, get a hold of some Indian Summer or Antioch Arrow. Maybe some Christie Front Drive and Sunny Day Real Estate for lighter stuff. Dag Nasty is always awesome, although they're more of a crossover.

Don't forget Chamberlain, Fireside, and Texas Is The Reason.

To be emo you must accept yourself as part of the culture. If you happen to listen to emo music and wear clothes normally associated with the subculture, you're not emo, you're just that way. Whatever.

Emo music is always keeping in the theme of an unhappy or melancholy attitude or being in a situation that would make one so. Emo also has it's own sound (not all music is emo for it doesn't keep some of this sound) influenced by hardcore punk (emo I believe has influenced genres such as screamo, pop-punk, and post-hardcore, as well as others). Emo is melodramatic and overly emotional and the misconception is that it is associated with self-harm. This idea is used a lot, but is not a required theme of emo music.

Bands such as Sunny Day Real Estate and Texas Is The Reason had put forth an indie rock style to Emo music, that's why they're occasionally confused (Death Cab For Cutie is not emo).

Emo has apparently made the effect that any emotion means you're emo. That's sad because not only is it is trivializing a condition, depression, but it makes everything else have to heartless or shallow or be deemed emo. Emo is sad (edit: xD).

I'm sure I'm making no sense. Regardless, some emo bands are as follows:

Taking Back Sunday
    Rites Of Spring
    Embrace
    One Last Wish
    Beefeater
    Gray Matter
    Fire Party
    Moss Icon
    Hawthorne Heights
    Jimmy Eat World
    AFI
    Panic! At The Disco

And My Chemical Romance as an emo band I believe is heavily disputed, but I think it is post-hardcore. So emo influences are certainly not invisible.

Also, I consider Gothica to be dead. Most Goths I know can't even tell me what Romanticism or neo-romanticism is.

Anyway, social stereotypes suck, up with the Individual. Eventually the kids will grow out of this style, like all kids do.
    Last edited by Ryth; 10-17-2006 at 04:49 AM.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Emo music is always keeping in the theme of an unhappy or melancholy attitude or being in a situation that would make one so.
    I don't actually notice this with panic! at the disco's songs, they always seemed fairly happy to me, when I listened to them it was cos they made me dance. Can someone explain some lyrics that actually make p!atd emo? For example "there's a good reason these tables are numbered honey.." sounds like a confident song to me about this guy kinda coming back at his ex or something like that.

"I'm the new cancer, never looked better, you can't stand it.
    Because you say so under your breath.
    You're reading lips "When did he get all confident?"

I never thought any of the songs sounded sad! So that, is why, I don't get emo X_X
    rawr

Is Placebo an emo band? They have some pretty depressive songs, and I'd never consider myself to be emo, but I do really like their music.

Edit: 93.7% of statistics are made up on the spot.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Quote Originally Posted by Omecle View Post
    Is Placebo an emo band? They have some pretty depressive songs, and I'd never consider myself to be emo, but I do really like their music.

Edit: 93.7% of statistics are made up on the spot.
    Placebo is an alternative rock band. I don't think it shares any relation to the emo genre.

As for P!ATD, I don't know. Some people think it emo, some alternative. I never heard that song before, for I can't stand P!ATD. I mostly heard it was emo though.

Quote Originally Posted by ~SapphireStar~ View Post
    Ive heard of Mars Volta, but not heard anything by them.

They are incredibly good musicians that play weird, crazy indie stuff. Its class!! They are blatent stoners. lol. Anyway, another emo band is Linkin' Park, also Papa Roach.
    Actually, TMV are on a major record label. So they aren't techinally indie. And they stopped doing drugs after their sound manipulator died. So they're not stoners.

Anyways, to me emo is more about the fashion, hair, and attitude than it is the music, though these things all seem to coincide with emos. I personally know quite a few kids with emo-ish fashion and hair that listen to good and "non-emo" music.