Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Last names for Sora, Riku, Kairi, and other kids?

Quote Originally Posted by [B
    Yuffie the Dragon Ninja;1949256]Look, in FF7, they didn't change 'Yuffie Kisaragi' to 'Yuffie Ninjagirl' or something.[/B] Names never get changed in japanese to english translations, and if they did, theyd change the first AND last names, so we wouldn;t have something as weird sounding as 'Sora Keyheart'. Mixing languages in names never works, guv.

Also, Roxas is an anagram of Sora with an X, to keep with the Org XIII tradition of the name being an anagram of their previous name with an X (Eg: Xemnas= Ansem, Xigbar= Braig, etc.) And Hayner, Pence and Olette are called Haine, Pintsu and Oretto in the JP version as well. Their changed slightly so the Japanese can pronounce them, but they are faithful to the original. They weren't called some random japanese name in the JP version.

EDIT: For a laugh, I decided to translate SuperMillionaires suggested surnames into japanese, an see what happened.

Sora Keyheart= Sora Kagishin
    Sora Lightkey= Sora Hichoushi

Riku Darkheart= Riku Kuroshin
    Riku Darkwielder= Riku Meitsukaite
    Riku Soulwielder= Riku Konshiyousha

Kairi Angelwill= Kairi Tenshimune

There, they sound so much better, don't they?

EDIT EDIT:

Sora Hugefoot= Sora Dekaiashi
    Riku Sephclone= Riku Shippousha (Actually Silver-clone, but hey, Seph doesn't translate well.
    Kairi Jailbait= Kairi Rouyaesa
    But they DID change "Tifa Rokkuhato" into "Tifa Lockhart", which is an exception to the rule.

Also, I'm talking about the ENGLISH game. For the Japanese name, okay, use the Japanese last names; I have no problem with that. For English, however, you SHOULD change it. I don't mind having a Japanese first name and an English last name.
    Is that your final answer?

Face it, kid! Many people have tried to help you, but you're so wrapped up in your TERRIBLE surnames that you won't listen to any suggestion, all of which surpass your own! So, y'know what? Do what you want! People will read your story until they see "Sora Keyheart", go 'wtf?', and close the window.

The End.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Xehanort View Post
    Face it, kid! Many people have tried to help you, but you're so wrapped up in your TERRIBLE surnames that you won't listen to any suggestion, all of which surpass your own! So, y'know what? Do what you want! People will read your story until they see "Sora Keyheart", go 'wtf?', and close the window.

The End.
    My point still isn't clear yet? I said that it was my personal idea, and I wanted to also know your personal ideas too. I need names in ENGLISH.

I gave you a set of English names, which blow yours away, and you didn't even respond.

How conceited.

I don't want references to other characters!

I've also thought of Sora Light and Kairi Love.
    Last edited by SuperMillionaire; 10-23-2006 at 01:44 AM.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMillionaire
    My point still isn't clear yet? I said that it was my personal idea, and I wanted to also know your personal ideas too. I need names in ENGLISH.
    If you wanted to know other peoples' personal ideas as well, why are you dismissing everything you don't like even when almost everyone that responds has told you the same thing. They're pointing out a (quite valid) flaw in your own ideas.

If you don't like the kind of feedback you're getting, ignore it. If you're so dead set on having English last names to match with Japanese first names (which is quite bogus, as others have mentioned) then obviously you need to be looking for help elsewhere.

I agree with most everyone else; despite what you think, Japanese first names deserve Japanese last names. Anything else just sounds stupid. I'm inclined to agree with Lord Xehanort. If I were to stumble across a story with Keyheart as a character's last name, I'd move on to the next one.

If you want the characters to have English last names, at least use real last names. Nobody is going to take your writing serious when you cram together English words that describe a character's attitude or plot purpose.

By the way, if you knew the first thing about typical Japanese pronunciation of English words, you'd realize that Lockheart would come out very close to Rokkuhato. Your argument is null and void.

Okay, I'll call them Sora Light and Kairi Love.

Please don't. People will kill themselves when they see those names. Seriously stick with Japanese names. they sound ten times better and people won't think that you were joking when you read it.

Rokkuhato is the japanese pronounciation of Lockhart. 'Lock' tranlates roughly into Rokku, because L is pronuced as R, and they always have a vowel at the end of a word except when it ends in the letter N. And 'Heart' translates roughly in Hato for the same reason. They aren't tranlating the meaning, they're tranlsating the sound of the word as best they can.
    Also, Sora Light and Kairi Love? I lol'ed at that. If they had those surnames, I'd die laughing, and then change their names.
    And you said that the english version SHOULD have english last names. Oh yeah? *Goes through names in Tekken 5 manual* all of the japanese names aren't translated. Asuka is still Asuka, Heihachi is still Heihachi. And the ones with english names had english names in the original, like Anna and Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuffie the Dragon Ninja View Post
    Rokkuhato is the japanese pronounciation of Lockhart. 'Lock' tranlates roughly into Rokku, because L is pronuced as R, and they always have a vowel at the end of a word except when it ends in the letter N. And 'Heart' translates roughly in Hato for the same reason. They aren't tranlating the meaning, they're tranlsating the sound of the word as best they can.
    Also, Sora Light and Kairi Love? I lol'ed at that. If they had those surnames, I'd die laughing, and then change their names.
    And you said that the english version SHOULD have english last names. Oh yeah? *Goes through names in Tekken 5 manual* all of the japanese names aren't translated. Asuka is still Asuka, Heihachi is still Heihachi. And the ones with english names had english names in the original, like Anna and Steve.
    But almost everybody in Final Fantasy have English last names. Also, "Yuffie" can be an English name, but "Yufi" is Japanese.

Can you give me some English last names that I think will make sense, because names such as "Jailbait", "Hugefoot", "Ayaclone", and "Sephclone" make no sense to me. I do not want references to other characters.

Your desire for references is going to ruin your chance at having good names. Since none of the characters have last names given to them in the game, you would do best not to introduce your own. Anyone looking at your work is likely going to be a KH fan to begin with, spotting last names at all will seem silly to them. For the names to be ones such as the ones that you suggested will ruin a lot of interest in your story. If you feel the need to have last names, I suggest picking out some fairly common and normal last names. Having your references will seem like a cheap ploy (Keyheart? Anyone will spot where you got that in half a second), and will kill the enjoyment of the story.

Also, a good many FF characters have no last names at all. Except for the characters of FFVII and VIII, I don't think any of them have last names. And in those games, the vast majority of the last names were totally meaningless.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Your desire for references is going to ruin your chance at having good names. Since none of the characters have last names given to them in the game, you would do best not to introduce your own. Anyone looking at your work is likely going to be a KH fan to begin with, spotting last names at all will seem silly to them. For the names to be ones such as the ones that you suggested will ruin a lot of interest in your story. If you feel the need to have last names, I suggest picking out some fairly common and normal last names. Having your references will seem like a cheap ploy (Keyheart? Anyone will spot where you got that in half a second), and will kill the enjoyment of the story.

Also, a good many FF characters have no last names at all. Except for the characters of FFVII and VIII, I don't think any of them have last names. And in those games, the vast majority of the last names were totally meaningless.
    I said that I don't want references to other characters.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMillionaire View Post

I didn't say references to other characters. I said references. Whether they are references to the other characters or to the game's plot matters not, both will have a negative affect on whatever work you are trying to create. Now why don't you go back and read my post and try to understand that I am simply trying to help you improve your work, nothing more.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMillionaire View Post

I didn't say references to other characters. I said references. Whether they are references to the other characters or to the game's plot matters not, both will have a negative affect on whatever work you are trying to create. Now why don't you go back and read my post and try to understand that I am simply trying to help you improve your work, nothing more.
    Okay... can you give me a list of good last names in English, please?

Unlimited Hentai Works Twilight Edge's Avatar

FFIX's characters have last names as well(not as if it counts because it's not Tetsuya's work). And the reason some names are meaningless is because the characters are named after a certain someone instead of being an original name.

And one more,

Rokkuhato=Lockheart because the R sound in Japanese actually sounds like a L sound. They don't have a singular K sound so they took the nearest, the KU sound. HEA=HA, done. They also doesn't have a singular T sound and therefore they took the nearest, the TO sound. Though the names are spelled in katakana, they actually follow the sounds from the hiragana sound table, aka the original one. So, they had tried their best to pronounce it correctly already.

So, it should be about this: LO(RO)-KU-HA-TO---> LOKUHATO. Close enough. Be satisfied.