Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Akira

The Hardcore Gentleman Emerald weapon's Avatar

Default Akira

After watching ''100 greatest animations''it inspired me to buy it n it was well worth the Ł5,what a great film!The storys good and the actual animation is quality,the night scenes are amazing and the whole last battle was beast,any1 else seen it?if so,tell me what u thought of it

I definitely appreciate what Akira has done in terms of making anime much more mainstream than it was before it's initial release. But I thought the actual movie was decent at best.

I got the special 2 disk edition some years ago. Best Ł10 I ever spent. Its a excellent piece of animation for its time.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Visually, Akira is by far one of the best-animated movies of all time, and it probably always will be. Aurally, the soundtrack has this great rhythmic quality to it that provides a constant driving force behind the action onscreen. Miscellaneously, Kaneda has a bitchin' set of wheels.

And after that, it really doesn't matter that the story is a bastardized mash-up of the manga's epic narrative with a dumb non-ending.

I never got into Manga or much into Anime, but Akira is a classic as far as I'm concerned. The things that annoy me so much about a lot of anime is all of the goofy character animation and epileptic seizure-enducing flashing during still frame fight scenes, of which Akira was pretty much devoid. I like it's style, and definitely the soundtrack (one of my favorite scenes is the bike battle). Also, I think the story, while loose-ended, was unique.

So, in conclusion, much love!

Brian: "If I remember correctly, this is the Physics Department."
    Chris: "That would explain all the gravity."

man, I gotta see this movie. how does it compare to Miyazaki's 8 masterpieces, of which I have seen all.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

It doesn't bear comparison to any of Miyazaki's work. It's a completely different creature. And I hope you mean nine.

Oh, right yeah, 9 if you count the Lupin one. I haven't seen that one.

akira was the first import animated movie i had ever seen...i was very young wand shouldn't have seen it, as i didn't understand half of what was going on. years later when i saw it as a teen i was blown away

excellent.

I love this movie. I too have seen it when I was very young. Haven't seen Akira in a years though, but still remember most of it.

Visually it was awesome, and the story "outline" so to speak was good, but I found the execution of the story to be fairly uninspiring. IOW, I'm glad I saw it, but I don't much care one way or another if I see it again.

Ninja Scroll is far more engrossing for me, even if not as visually impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi View Post
    Visually, Akira is by far one of the best-animated movies of all time.

Damn true dude, damn true.

Summoner of Nessie Brian The Pink Shark's Avatar

akira is a fantastic film if a little confusing at times KANEDA!

Default Akira

Last night i finally had the chance to watch the old anime movie Akira. I've been wanting to see it forever but could never find it in stores or download it, but i finally got it. After watching it, i found it pretty friggin good and its restored my faith in anime a little. So how many of you guys have seen it, or read the manga?

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Threads merged.