Thread: Most Versatile Sub Job?

FFXIV Character

Kelesis Aleid (Phoenix)

Default Most Versatile Sub Job?

What do you think the most useful sub job is and why do you think so?

I have been leveling RDM and BLM lately and I'm getting close to being able to get advanced jobs. Should I spend the time to get advanced jobs leveled or focus on the basics first? What do you guys consider the best sub jobs?

I don't know, probably WAR for melee and WHM for mages.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I'd say /WAR, /NIN and /WHM are the most common subjobs by far. All three are good to have levelled for various reasons. I'm currently levelling NIN for no other reason than to sub for various melees if need be.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

FFXIV Character

Kelesis Aleid (Phoenix)

I guess my question would be is it really worth it to lvl to 30 then get an advanced job and leave another job class you've been lvling as a sub job behind. i.e. /NIN.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Not sure I follow. NIN is an advanced class.

All the jobs you level stay with you no matter what. If you leave a job to level another you can always come back to it right where you left off.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

FFXIV Character

Kelesis Aleid (Phoenix)

I think you misunderstood, senor Del. What I'm saying is that advanced classes pretty much take 30 lvls of exp to attain and by then you already have some basic job lvled for your sub job. Is it worth dropping the basic job you've lvled and starting to lvl the new advanced job? I'm just trying to find out if I should focus on an advanced job or a basic job for my sub.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

If by versatile you mean used by most number of main jobs, then definitely NIN. SMN, BLM, DRG, MNK, SAM, and PUP seems to have very few practical uses for NIN as a sub. Every other job (except maybe COR, I'm not sure about COR) uses NIN for some purpose. I'm of the opinion that /NIN is highly overrated in most situations. It's only practical use is shadows as dual-wield isn't anywhere near as great as everyone seems to make it out to be.

I'm leveling NIN now mainly because RDM/NIN past 74 is insane. Utsusemi: Ni, Stoneskin, Phalanx, Protect/Shell, en spells, haste, and refresh is just godly and makes for one of the best solo'ing job combinations in the game. I just want to have NIN ready for then. It's also a common sub for BLU, which I plan to level in the future.

FFXIV Character

Kelesis Aleid (Phoenix)

I was actually leaning toward RDM/NIN but I wanted some feedback beforehand. I'm thinking now that a RDM's place in a party later on would be less melee and more magic so I'm actually thinking about SMN, BLM, or WHM. I plan on keeping RDM as main, by the way.

RDM/NIN isn't used in parties. It's pretty much only for soloing. As a RDM, you should be using /BLM and /WHM as your subjobs.

And yes, a RDM's main role in a party is using magic -- enfeebling the mobs, refreshing the mages, hasting the melee, curing when needed, etc. With everything you have to do, there's hardly any time to melee anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch! View Post
    If by versatile you mean used by most number of main jobs, then definitely NIN. SMN, BLM, DRG, MNK, SAM, and PUP seems to have very few practical uses for NIN as a sub. Every other job (except maybe COR, I'm not sure about COR) uses NIN for some purpose. I'm of the opinion that /NIN is highly overrated in most situations. It's only practical use is shadows as dual-wield isn't anywhere near as great as everyone seems to make it out to be.
    I beg to differ. MNK defenately have a very good use for NIN as a subjob towards the endgame section, so does SAM and BLM. But I do agree that sometimes /NIN is way over-rated.

Quote Originally Posted by oddler View Post
    I was actually leaning toward RDM/NIN but I wanted some feedback beforehand. I'm thinking now that a RDM's place in a party later on would be less melee and more magic so I'm actually thinking about SMN, BLM, or WHM. I plan on keeping RDM as main, by the way.
    Don't go RDM/NIN in party situations. I almost laughed when I tried to invite a RDM/NIN, telling her to sub WHM (because she had it) -- but no, they only wanted to melee, which was absurd.

For RDM, overall, you'd want BLM and WHM for party situations, DRK and NIN for certain other situations, as subjobs.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

/BLU for cocoon bitches..>_> its widely underused imo.

My Youtube Page - Full of Capcom vs SNK 2 goodness!
    Check it out Nya~! @.@
    貓..貓..Yeh! X3

I sub'd blue for bard. it was interesting. I had just enough mp to cast stoneskin and cocoon ... it was fun, but i don't think that combo was was really that great. maybe blue sub to pld or drk could be cool as they already have mp.

But i use blm sub to my rdm, i get warp, drain, aspir, escape and tractor ... (58 Rdm/29 Blm) unless i am main healing
    Chuck Noblet: Can anyone tell me the tragic irony of the Trojan War? Tina? Tina: Um, that horses are friendly creatures yet a hollow, wooden one was used to destroy Troy? Chuck Noblet: Wrong and no. Anyone else? Chip? Chip: That the mighty warrior Achilles was killed by a small cut to his ankle. Chuck Noblet: Chip is wronger. OK, here it is. The tragic irony of the Trojan War is that though it was fought over Helen, who was young and beautiful, by the time they rescued her ten years later, she was old and ugly. Tina: But wasn't recovering the king's wife reward enough for the Greeks? Chuck Noblet: Tina, an ugly woman is never a reward.

I remember my friend talking about WAR/BLU, having great DEF with Cocoon while mantaining good damage tanking. As long as refreshers are okay with it, its probably not that bad..

My Youtube Page - Full of Capcom vs SNK 2 goodness!
    Check it out Nya~! @.@
    貓..貓..Yeh! X3

I don't think i have ever seen a lvl 40+ war sub blue ...

That could be pretty cool to check out though
    Chuck Noblet: Can anyone tell me the tragic irony of the Trojan War? Tina? Tina: Um, that horses are friendly creatures yet a hollow, wooden one was used to destroy Troy? Chuck Noblet: Wrong and no. Anyone else? Chip? Chip: That the mighty warrior Achilles was killed by a small cut to his ankle. Chuck Noblet: Chip is wronger. OK, here it is. The tragic irony of the Trojan War is that though it was fought over Helen, who was young and beautiful, by the time they rescued her ten years later, she was old and ugly. Tina: But wasn't recovering the king's wife reward enough for the Greeks? Chuck Noblet: Tina, an ugly woman is never a reward.