Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bands that got you into music in general?

Today I like Breaking Benjamins, but the answer is Linkin Park.
    ~I am the Aeon of will and strength, I protect my beloved and that's all I wish to be needed to do~

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

For many years I despised music, due to my father bringing me up inside a tight bubble of the music he liked, as he has always been under the impression that his taste of music was carved from the bone of god. But I’m

ADVERTISEMENT

In 1999, a good fellow (he wasn’t really a good fellow…but that’s another story) saved music for me by introducing the sounds of several bands—with bands like the Ramones, Nirvana and _ having the most impact on me.

:yap:

Default MY MUSICALALAL STORY LOPLOl!11

Nirvana was the band I grew up on, because my brother played it to me since I was a baby. Then, when I actually started getting interested in music, about eight or nine years old, I got into Oasis and Blur, Blur led me to get into Gorillaz. I got heavily into Nirvana again from about ten onwards, and that introduced me to all the Punk bands Kurt Cobain liked, MDC, Sex Pistols, etc., and from then on I classed myself as a Punk for the next four years. Then, recently, I've started getting into different stuff like My Chemical Romance (a band whom I thought were the last band on earth I'd ever like), and I've started getting more into The Misfits, and other stuff.

Stuff that really brought me into the general appreciation of music were things like Nobou Uematsu (with Final Fantasy 7's soundtrack), Alice in Chains, Alex Lloyd, Days of the New, The Tea Party, Jeff Buckley and Mick Hart.

That was around the age of 14-15. A lot has developed since then in terms of taste and creativity, and my knowledge from my Audio Engineering course has defenately improved my ear a lot.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Not coming back. BarelySeeAtAll's Avatar

i think it was avril lavign at first, my other cousin got me into greenday, and then introduced me into more grungey music, like bls and pantera, steve vai, TRIVIUM!!!!and i always have loved evanescence

I am not a man

Quote Originally Posted by Lady of the sheep View Post
    grungey music, like bls and pantera, steve vai,
    Um,sorry but Pantera and Steve Vai are not Grunge...

Deep Purple, Iron Maiden, Alice Cooper.

Quote Originally Posted by polonoid View Post
    LOL! Pantera was actually one of the bands trying to bring metal back and stop grunge.

Quote Originally Posted by Shout View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by polonoid View Post
    LOL! Pantera was actually one of the bands trying to bring metal back and stop grunge.
    Sadly they failed and the utopia of heavy metal was destroyed. The came techno and pop. dark days. Dark days. I'm more of a fan of Hard Rock than Heavy Metal or metal as entirety. Alice Cooper, Deep Purple, Dokken. The love. <3 I was also raised with this stuff. "Into The Fire, I've falleeeeen. INTO THE FIRE, I've fallen."

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I didn't really listen to much music (besides the radio) before I heard 'Lene Marlin'. Then, I bought all her albums and began to search for similar songs. Before I knew it, I'd bought another five albums, and the rest is history.
    "As the days go by, we face the increasing inevitability that we are alone in a godless,
    uninhabited, hostile and meaningless universe. Still, you've got to laugh, haven't you?"

I've been listening to music for the vast majority of my life, but I would have to say Pink Floyd really got me into music deeply. Also, Opeth pretty much introduced me to all the heavy stuff. Children Of Bodom, Lamb Of God, bands like that.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I was really into music when I was younger but the stuff that got me into it then was probably just cute male singers/boybands so I don't see it as being so relevant now. Then through my college years and stuff I mostly just listened to Blink 182 and kinda stopped showing an interest on everything that was going on with music, and any other bands.

I think recently though, for this era of my life and maybe in the past year or so, Green Day are the band that got me back into music. I dunno, after getting their back catalogue, or most of it, I just started using LastFM and finding more bands, and really getting back into music again. I wouldn't say it was just them though, I just started finding a few bands that made me find others etc and so on. Bands like the boy least likely to, of montreal, the go! team, helped me branch out my music tastes, I think.

I've pretty much always loved a lot of music though just went through one phase when I couldnt listen to anything. X_X Now I pretty much listen to music all day.xD
    rawr

Not coming back. BarelySeeAtAll's Avatar

people!stop picking on me, i forgot to put more, like (maybe not grunge) guns n roses, judus priest, the quo, etc

I am not a man

'Gabby Hayes' big Bart's Friend Milhouse's Avatar

I started listening to pop, then moved on to some better stuff, now I seem to like the classics (i.e. anything pre 2003)
    ...Geddit?

Blog Entries

Green Day.