Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Japan vs. English

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

The problem is that I need to study something else for the next 8 months, so there's simply not enough time...
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Well, you don't have to if you don't want to, it was just a suggestion for anyone who did have the time and was interested.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Thb, I do want to learn the language. I tried at a point, but I didn't get very good.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

ballsballsballs of steel Jimsour's Avatar

I party with Japanese all the time.

First of, I use windower and I have an IME installed so I can type in the Japanese alphabet; I also learned myself enough japanese to get a party and not talk often.

I've asked bilingual japanese players while having a conversation in crap parties, "is it true japanese players do not like americans and europeans?" and they put it bluntly: "No, it is not true". I got these reasons why some japanese do not like to play with english speakers:

1. Language barrier. Japanese players communicate a lot and the auto translator is just a pain in the arse to use.

2. English parties do not usually last very long. You've had it happen before, you spend half an hour getting a party ready, you get to your camp, you kill 5 monsters and your Paladin or Red mage turns around and says "oh crap, gotta go, bye", warps out, and logs off and leaves everyone standing there annoyed. This very rarely happens in Japanese parties, when they log on they clear their day basically.

3. A lot of Japanese players are generally not 14 year olds. Most I've spoken too are in their 20s.

4. Racism. Yes, there are racist Japanese. There are also racist English players. This clashes often.

If you want a Japanese party or to party with Japanese you should take into consideration how they play. If you dont want to do that, do not party with Japanese players.

Japanese players leave town toghether, they go back to town toghether, etc. They dont have one person racing out to camp while 3 others are at the AH and another in another town like in many english parties. Small things like this make a difference and your name travels fast between them.. I've made a few Japanese friends (as in, /wave'ing terms and the occassional /tell in basic japanese) because I didnt act like a cock. And likewise, I've had Japanese players not believe I was an english speaking player at all and thought I was a Japanese person in disguise. They also ask to check each other (usually through /tell) and are very courteous with each other at first.
    I'm a big fan of the Mars Bar Diet; You don't eat the Mars bar, you stick it up your arse and let a rottweiler chase you home.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimsour View Post
    2. English parties do not usually last very long. You've had it happen before, you spend half an hour getting a party ready, you get to your camp, you kill 5 monsters and your Paladin or Red mage turns around and says "oh crap, gotta go, bye", warps out, and logs off and leaves everyone standing there annoyed. This very rarely happens in Japanese parties, when they log on they clear their day basically.
    This is a common complaint about NA parties, and it's pretty indisputable - happens all the time. Maybe it's a Quetzalcoatl phenomenon though, but the JP have their own variation of this offense in which they all <>Time for work<>, or <>I'm sleepy<> and warp simultaneously, and without notice, in the middle of a party. With the hours I play (late night-early morning EST), if I get an invite, it's probably JP. Just something I noticed. NA parties have their problems, and I'll be the first to say so. I hate it when someone just takes off w/o notice. In a NA/JP mixed party, the loss of all your JP constituents simultaneously can all but destroy an exp session. At least NAs tend to bail on an individual basis. I have yet to see NA's turn party bailing into a team sport like the JP counterparts. Not yet anyway. Well, maybe. I do tend to use someone else bailing as an excuse to bail a bad party myself w/o being rude. I dunno.

ballsballsballs of steel Jimsour's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Garland View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimsour View Post
    This is a common complaint about NA parties, and it's pretty indisputable - happens all the time. Maybe it's a Quetzalcoatl phenomenon though, but the JP have their own variation of this offense in which they all <>Time for work<>, or <>I'm sleepy<> and warp simultaneously, and without notice, in the middle of a party. With the hours I play (late night-early morning EST), if I get an invite, it's probably JP. Just something I noticed. NA parties have their problems, and I'll be the first to say so. I hate it when someone just takes off w/o notice. In a NA/JP mixed party, the loss of all your JP constituents simultaneously can all but destroy an exp session. At least NAs tend to bail on an individual basis. I have yet to see NA's turn party bailing into a team sport like the JP counterparts. Not yet anyway. Well, maybe. I do tend to use someone else bailing as an excuse to bail a bad party myself w/o being rude. I dunno.
    I've had it happen a few times but in comparison to English speaking players (not just north american, us Europeans do it from time to time ) it happens less when I've been partying, in the end we're all human, so things like that are going to happen anyway.
    I'm a big fan of the Mars Bar Diet; You don't eat the Mars bar, you stick it up your arse and let a rottweiler chase you home.

If i'm in a bad party, loose'n more exp then i'm gettin' and just eatin' through my xp with deaths, i will tell the party that i have to go, i don't care if they think i'm bein' rude or not. I don't expect others to stay in a party if they are die'n alot and we're as a team not gettin' any exp...

I think its great when others make it seem like its outta the blue when i'm like 'Duce' because they see me gettin' slaughter'd and we have to wait on me to get unweakened ... at least i don't force disconnect never to return.

In instances like that i can definately understand someone bail'n...

If on the other hand someone's like meh, i don't wanna play anymore thats somethin' totaly different. I have never had a group of JP people just warp and log on me. I didn't know they did that.
    Chuck Noblet: Can anyone tell me the tragic irony of the Trojan War? Tina? Tina: Um, that horses are friendly creatures yet a hollow, wooden one was used to destroy Troy? Chuck Noblet: Wrong and no. Anyone else? Chip? Chip: That the mighty warrior Achilles was killed by a small cut to his ankle. Chuck Noblet: Chip is wronger. OK, here it is. The tragic irony of the Trojan War is that though it was fought over Helen, who was young and beautiful, by the time they rescued her ten years later, she was old and ugly. Tina: But wasn't recovering the king's wife reward enough for the Greeks? Chuck Noblet: Tina, an ugly woman is never a reward.

It's not nearly as prevalent as "hay guyz i hav to go aftr i lvl k?" - which seems to be an NA thing. Still, it happens to me often enough to be noticed. On a side note, I think any parties I make from now on, I'm gonna kick on the spot, anyone who says they need to leave after they level. Because we all know "need to leave" really means "don't want to stay", and if said person is so busy, s/he should get a head start on that incredibly important task instead of exping anyway.

Grin LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Garland View Post
    It's not nearly as prevalent as "hay guyz i hav to go aftr i lvl k?" - which seems to be an NA thing. Still, it happens to me often enough to be noticed. On a side note, I think any parties I make from now on, I'm gonna kick on the spot, anyone who says they need to leave after they level. Because we all know "need to leave" really means "don't want to stay", and if said person is so busy, s/he should get a head start on that incredibly important task instead of exping anyway.
    LOL !!! Thats a good idea ... just be like o' thats fine Boot Bio-tch !
    Well, i usually get the Disconnect never to return ... i don't know if its a NA thing or just a English speakin' thing ... (?) But usually when i'm in a PT i'll see someone Disconnect and we wait and wait but they never come back ... its sad when people in your LS do that crap to you when you're supposed to do an LS event ... *caugh* Sid last night *caugh*
    LOL but its all good cause me red and toker took out the yag priest NM In castle oztroja without 'em ... We is baaad !!!
    Chuck Noblet: Can anyone tell me the tragic irony of the Trojan War? Tina? Tina: Um, that horses are friendly creatures yet a hollow, wooden one was used to destroy Troy? Chuck Noblet: Wrong and no. Anyone else? Chip? Chip: That the mighty warrior Achilles was killed by a small cut to his ankle. Chuck Noblet: Chip is wronger. OK, here it is. The tragic irony of the Trojan War is that though it was fought over Helen, who was young and beautiful, by the time they rescued her ten years later, she was old and ugly. Tina: But wasn't recovering the king's wife reward enough for the Greeks? Chuck Noblet: Tina, an ugly woman is never a reward.

I think Sid just don't like yall lol...cause he PL'ed me plenty of times...nd i partied with him plenty of times nd he never d/c'ed on me.....well atleast not how Red been gettin on him lol...anyway stayin on da subject ya know, I personally like partyin wit jap. players only because they seem to stay in parties foreva nd u get like 3 or 4 levels in one sitting, its always sumtin dat smurfs up all the chicken in english parties lol...either sumbody gotta go or sum1's being a jackass nd takin the game wayyyyyyy to seriously...its alot mo stuff but i don't feel like getting into it...im not sayin there ain't jap players out dere dat act like dat because im sure it is, like dude said up dere in sum thread when it comes down to it we still all human ya dig..but from wat ive been through i perferr jap parties

Weed Is Not A Drug..A Drug is sumtin dat is chemically mixed in a smurfin lab..Weed is from da earth..God put dis here for me and you..So i can't under stand why Weed is Illegal..When is the Last Time u Heard sum1 Overdose On sum Weed? Seriously? Oh But Asprin is legal, nd i guarantee u take 10 of those, dat will be you last headache.