Page 1 of 38 12345671121 ... LastLast

Thread: Grand Tournament Revival

Gamecrafter Recognized Member Azure Chrysanthemum's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Kazane Shiba (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Grand Tournament Revival

I've been itching to do one of these for awhile now, so I'm going to attempt a revival. I will NOT be updating these every day like I was doing (which contributed much to my burning out), but I should update somewhere in the area of three times a week at least. You will have at least two days to place your bets, possibly more if you're lucky/unlucky.

If there are enough people getting involved in this, I'm more than happy to expand it. There will be the betting element as there was in the prior tournaments, I'll openly track all bets in the thread since trying to do it via PMs was just a pain.

For the unaware, the Grand Tournament is something where I write a fight scene between two characters and people bet on them. Those that bet correctly gain double the money they bet, those who bet wrong lose it. Fights are conducted on various battlefields submitted by you, the readers/bettors.

The rules:

1. I write all the fights based on my analysis of a given character and their strengths and weaknesses. I stand by my decision on who wins and who does not win, if you're just going to troll the thread, don't bother reading it. Nobody's forcing you to do so.

2. Only bet on the upcoming fight. Again, it's too much of a pain to track a bunch of bets for fights that I won't be writing for awhile.

3. Discussions of the fights and matchups are welcome and encouraged. I have no problem with people thinking I'm wrong, so long as it doesn't turn to trolling (covered in rule 1). People may change their bets based on discussion up to the point of the fight being posted (I will refresh right before the fight itself is finished and take all of the bets I see).

And now for the protocol:

1. This is fantastical realism. I let people bend and break rules, but they're still bound by certain laws (if you get stabbed, you'll be hurting. Likewise if you get shot, you'll be hurting). All characters are going to be used at their peak potential, although they may not use all of it in fights if they don't need to. Generally, the more of their abilities they use, the later in the rankings it is.

2. Seeding will be random. I will either draw lots myself or have a friend do it.

3. This is a mixed tournament. There will be 64 entrants in all, 32 heroes and 32 villains. I'll start with the heroes, if it lasts long enough the villains will then fight, and the final round will be between the champion hero and champion villain. Characters can be taken from any video game or anime series.

4. Everyone may make one battlefield that will be randomly selected before a fight. The battlefields may be any manageable size and can be taken from any video game or anime series. I need a good working description of the battlefield so I have an idea of what it looks like.

5. Voting is open now. You may vote on 10 heroes to be included in the tournament. Villain voting will be held later.

6. Emeralda and Grahf are barred from this because they have already won a tournament. All victors will be barred from future tournaments.

7. Starting balance is 10,000 for EVERYONE.

There you have it. Voting starts now.

Alright so here are my 10.

1. Master Chief (Halo)
    2. Leon Kennedy (Res Evil)
    3. Dante (DMC)
    4. Spike Spiegal (Cowboy Bebop)
    5. Alucard (Hellsing)
    6. Vash The Stampede (Tigun)
    7. Cloud (FFVII)
    8. Fei Fong Wong (Xenogears)
    9. Vincent (DoC)
    10. Vyse (Skies of Arcadia)

Articles

Heh, sounds like fun.

- Strider Hiryu
    - Jin Saotome
    - Earthworm Jim
    - Viewtiful Joe

As for battle grounds... the Strider series had an airship called the Balrog. Fighting on the deck there could be interesting.

Its good to see this thing back.

1/Shadow (FFVI)
    2/Vincent (FFVII)
    3/Drizzt Do'Urden (Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone)
    4/Gandalf (Any LoTR game)
    5/Illidan Stormrage (Warcraft III)
    6/Revan (KotOR)
    7/Cloud (FFVII)
    8/Squall (FFVIII)
    9/Tidus (FFX)
    10/Auron (FFX)

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Strider, could I have a description of the battlefield? I amended it to include that I need a good description just in case I have no idea what location you're talking about

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

1. Ichigo "Deathberry" Kurosaki
    2. Ryu Hayabusa
    3. MGSS4 Raiden (at least what can be ascertained from trailers)
    4. Yomiko Readman
    5. Legolas
    6. "Twilight" Suzuka (skip to background/history etc. Or go watch Outlaw Star)

I leave 4 in reserve if I do decide to add more.

1) Raven (Grandia 3)
    2) Magus Zeal (chrono trigger)
    3) Jack Sparrow
    4) Harry Potter
    5) Spartan (Spartan: Total Warrior)

The grand tournament was more appealing to me personally with the original character creation. Bring it back.

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Since this is a revival, I need to get people money before I can have original character creation. You were always good at betting Necro, I'm sure you can make the money back shortly

Alright, this sounds rather interesting. Void, I shall be assuming you have a good concept of all of the final fantasys. And so

1. Squall (Final Fantasy VIII)
    2. Vincent (Final Fantasy VII)
    3. Auron (Final Fantasy X)
    4. Gandalf (Lord of the Rings)
    5. Vivec (Morrowind)
    6. Alucard (Castlevania: Symphony of the Night)

For Vivec... well, he is a god in Morrowind... but you can kill them him in the game. His physical form, anyways. Just like Gandalf. He is a demi-god, so he cannot be 'killed', apart from his body being physically destroyed.

As for arenas... I like Chaos, or whatever you wish to call it... a vortex-type place where Belmont fought and destroyed Dracula at a point in time.
    Last edited by Rinion; 10-27-2006 at 06:17 AM.

This post is basically to remind myself to come back tomorrow and post my stuff.

Oh, and to say these totally rocked, and I'm glad you're doing another Void. GT FTW.
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.

Articles

Here's a screenshot for ya, BtV:

Think like the end of the Storm Eagle stage in Megaman X, and you've pretty much got it.

EDIT:

Ooh, or even better, the interior of the Balrog, complete with reverse polarity!

1. Laharl-sama
    2. Jack Russell
    3. Kite
    4. Pringer X/Z
    5. Kurogane
    6. Drizzt Do'Urden

Resident Fire Emblem Fan Elite Lord Sigma's Avatar

I'll suggest five.

Athos (Fire Emblem 7: Blazing Sword) (The one known simply as Fire Emblem in the US)

Wolf O'Donnell (Star Fox series)

Bomberman (The normal one, not the one from the astoundingly awful Act Zero)

Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden version, please)

King Zephiel (Fire Emblem 6: Sword of Seals)

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Voting will remain open until Monday, when I will be seeding. I'll probably start the fights after Halloween.