Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bleeding TV License people!

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
    You need a license to <i>watch TV</i>? Good god.
    No. You need one just to own a TV.

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
    You need a license to <i>watch TV</i>? Good god.
    No. You need one just to own a TV.
    Why isn't it just built into the price of the TV then?

It is stupid cause I do own a TV, but I cant watch TV shows on it, only DVDs. I mean why should I pay for a TV licence when I cant even get a signal to watch the flipping thing!? Hopefully I'll have it sorted by the end of the week. My mums going to call them and tell them that Im not paying for one when I dont watch any broadcasted programmes, here for 3 days a week and Im here for 10 months and £131 is a stupid price to pay for something I cant use!

My TV cost $250 at the store. $250 more just to watch it? That's retarded.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

The requirements are a little out of order, that's for sure. I own a computer, and only play DVDs on it. I don't watch any terrestrial television programming at all, so why should I pay for a license? Well, I'll end up in court, even though I haven't done anything wrong.

I guess you pay for "possibly being able to watch television, even though you might not want to" in this country.
    "As the days go by, we face the increasing inevitability that we are alone in a godless,
    uninhabited, hostile and meaningless universe. Still, you've got to laugh, haven't you?"

This could be Dangerous! Carl the Llama's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Legendary Hero (Sargatanas)

Im sorry to say this but the only thing you need a TV licence for is the channels that dont have breaks (like the BBC channels) i know this as just 2 days ago i had a tv licence guy come over and we had a good long chat about this and i asked him this and i quote "what exactly is a tv licence needed for, is it just for the channels that dont have adverts?" tv guy "Yes, thats exactly it" me "so me living with my ex best friend haveing a tv just to play computer on wouldnt need a tv licence?" tv guy "yes exactly that, but we would have to make several checks to make sure you were not watching the aformentioned channels" me "ok thanks" obviously the reason i asked is there for you to see.

ballsballsballs of steel Jimsour's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ~SapphireStar~ View Post
    OMG! They are so money grabbing! This is what it says in my letter word for word:

If you watch or record programmes as they're being shown on TV, you are required by law to have a TV licence which costs £131.50 or £44 for black and white. Equipment which you need a licence to use inlcudes:

Television - colour or black and white.
    Set-top box.
    Video or DVD recorder.
    Computer.
    Moblie phone!

I mean I only use my TV to watch DVDs and play games on. I cant watch normal TV or record anything. I only use a monitor for my PC and shock horror, I own a moblie phone!

Whats go upsetting is that on the website, I cant do weekly or monthly installments because Im not on benefits. So they think students can afford these do they? I mean, why not have students on the weekly or montly pay option?! Its disgusting and I cant afford this! I may have to sell stuff in order to get the cash. I know my family wont help.

Has anyone else had to deal with this and can students some how pay in installments? Its just really upset me.
    Its only if you are using them as broadcasting equipment, to recieve channels.

My flat got a TV with it and apparently we as a flat would have to pay for it if we want to use it, but because there ae locks one each room, seperate TVs arent part of that same liscence, load of smurfing bollocks. I'm paying nowt, I dont use the TV.
    I'm a big fan of the Mars Bar Diet; You don't eat the Mars bar, you stick it up your arse and let a rottweiler chase you home.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't understand this at all.

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

o_o

That's one way to cut down on your electric bill, at least.

TV license thing is crap. We have PBS and they just interrupt shows everynow and then and beg for money(they show some BBC stuff). They are funded by the government and by the public(PBS...Public Broadcasting Station I believe).

BBC sucks and should therefore die for this injustice. If they want to make you pay then go cable. Problem solved.

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

This is the craziest thing I've heard of in my entire life, I think. I feel like I should applaud or something.

Signature by rubah. I think.

Banned

The money is used to finance TV and radio channels owned by the state. It's not that strange a concept, although here it is way too expensive and the state owned channels aren't all that great anyway. The problem I have with it is that they call it a licence rather than a tax. Everyone has a TV and regardless of whether or not you watch the channels in question, you have to pay the annual fee, so it's more of a tax.

Two of our ministers recently had to give up their jobs because of not paying the TV licence.

In America(the land of a thousand television channels) this is a crazy system.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

If they tried to do something like this in America, there would be riots all over the place. Fat slobs would swarm the streets! Cheese burger in one hand...bazooka in the other!

Quote Originally Posted by jrgen View Post
    you have to pay the annual fee, so it's more of a tax.
    ANNUAL?
    That's more expensive than smurfin HBO! You guys just need to get a new country. Get obsolved into Canada, then you'll get american channels for free with your basic cable! No more complaining about not getting lost either!