Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bleeding TV License people!

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Just thought of something else: If this is the kind of crap the British pulled during Boston tea party era, then we had every right to boot them out of here. Sorry if I sound rude. It's just that every time I come in this thread, it blows my mind.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MecaKane View Post
    ANNUAL?
    That's more expensive than smurfin HBO! You guys just need to get a new country. Get obsolved into Canada, then you'll get american channels for free with your basic cable! No more complaining about not getting lost either!
    To be honest, I'd rather be watching good old SVT than the American channels. And I would never voluntarily move to Canada. And who would want to get lost?

I don't get why people don't udnerstand the concept. You still pay money to watch TV, you just do it by purchasing the products advertised during commercial breaks instead.
    Last edited by jrgen; 10-26-2006 at 12:21 PM.

Everyone should do everything like they do in america

because america is better than everywhere else

Quote Originally Posted by edczxcvbnm View Post
    If they want to make you pay then go cable. Problem solved.
    Not quite. We'd end up paying both the cable providers fee and the regular tv licence as well.

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Duality View Post
    Not quite. We'd end up paying both the cable providers fee and the regular tv licence as well.
    No. You end up paying for cable and that is it. Why would you have to pay for a license fee if they are on cable? By them being on cable you just proved you don't watch them thus you don't have to pay the licenese fee at all. Better yet, they can be like HBO. A premium channel.

The advertisments pay for our TV over here but I am buying gatoraid, mountain dew, mcdonalds and stuff anyways. I buy the stuff I am going to buy anyways. I would rather a company spend $2 million dollars on a 30 second ad during the super bowl to fund TV for the next year than have 300 million people pay ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, MTV, A&E, AMC, TNT, TBS, USA, TNN, CN, NICK, CNN, MSN and the list goes on all $250 to watch their channel for a year. smurf THAT.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

What. Get a loan/grant, you can bloody well afford one.

Not that there's any grounds for MAKING you, of course, it's BS, but yeah, it's not that much.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Reno~ View Post
    Im sorry to say this but the only thing you need a TV licence for is the channels that dont have breaks (like the BBC channels) i know this as just 2 days ago i had a tv licence guy come over and we had a good long chat about this and i asked him this and i quote "what exactly is a tv licence needed for, is it just for the channels that dont have adverts?" tv guy "Yes, thats exactly it" me "so me living with my ex best friend haveing a tv just to play computer on wouldnt need a tv licence?" tv guy "yes exactly that, but we would have to make several checks to make sure you were not watching the aformentioned channels" me "ok thanks" obviously the reason i asked is there for you to see.
    I bet there will be a statement contradicting what you just posted ... if it can be schemed (sp?) up ... Wow i feel so sorry for you guys ... it makes me not want to goto UK and watch T.V.

Crap like this i'm sure will get worse and worse ... its a trend i've been notice'n so 10 years from now we can all look back and say wow that was sooo pathetic compaired to these mandatory trackin' devices bein' implanted and the random night sodomy ... was such a simpler time >.<

Ho Hum
    Chuck Noblet: Can anyone tell me the tragic irony of the Trojan War? Tina? Tina: Um, that horses are friendly creatures yet a hollow, wooden one was used to destroy Troy? Chuck Noblet: Wrong and no. Anyone else? Chip? Chip: That the mighty warrior Achilles was killed by a small cut to his ankle. Chuck Noblet: Chip is wronger. OK, here it is. The tragic irony of the Trojan War is that though it was fought over Helen, who was young and beautiful, by the time they rescued her ten years later, she was old and ugly. Tina: But wasn't recovering the king's wife reward enough for the Greeks? Chuck Noblet: Tina, an ugly woman is never a reward.

No. You end up paying for cable and that is it. Why would you have to pay for a license fee if they are on cable? By them being on cable you just proved you don't watch them thus you don't have to pay the licenese fee at all. Better yet, they can be like HBO. A premium channel.
    The trouble is you still get the BBC channels in most of the packages you can get here as far as I know (but I may be terribly wrong, I've never looked into cable that much), plus you'd still be watching it on a TV capable of recieving the terrestrial signal. Auntie will still want to drain your pockets dry.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

The trouble is you still get the BBC channels in most of the packages you can get here as far as I know (but I may be terribly wrong, I've never looked into cable that much), plus you'd still be watching it on a TV capable of recieving the terrestrial signal. Auntie will still want to drain your pockets dry.
    Quite right. If you can receive the channels in any way, shape or form, you have to pay the license. It doesn't matter if you have a television, personal computer, cable, satellite, etc - they will find a way to make you pay. Even if you claim to use your television only for computer games and DVD movies, they will try their hardest to find a way to prove you wrong and steal your hard earned cash, even if you genuinely don't watch those pathetic BBC channels.
    "As the days go by, we face the increasing inevitability that we are alone in a godless,
    uninhabited, hostile and meaningless universe. Still, you've got to laugh, haven't you?"

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Thankfully, "I don't own a TV", my dad owns one that I paid for :p, and they don't know where that TV is :p.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

Unfortunatly you guys don't understand at all what I am saying. Not YOU get cable. The BBC goes cable only. From what I understand they are the reason you have to pay the license because they don't run commercials.

Summoner of Nessie Brian The Pink Shark's Avatar

i bought a tv license when i left for uni 7 weeks ago, what have i watched since then COuntdown and Deal Or No Deal , why should we pay tv licenses if they dont show anything good on tv

EDIT- i also cant even get a signal for the bbc, bastards
    Last edited by Brian The Pink Shark; 10-27-2006 at 04:56 PM.

I have a TV and a TV License. Meh. Paying it wasn't that much a deal, because I'd rather not get bothered by the Man. Less hassle= More drinking fun!

I barely use it, except when my flatmates & I play on my PS2, or watching Final Score. It probably wasn't worth paying that much, but like I said, I just rather to be covered than anything. With my family on my case all the time before I came to Uni, It was more sound to pay the cash than be shouted at all the time.

"I think you'd make any (nice) woman happy... & I think you really deserve for someone to make you happy too for a change"

Unfortunatly you guys don't understand at all what I am saying. Not YOU get cable. The BBC goes cable only. From what I understand they are the reason you have to pay the license because they don't run commercials.
    Oh!

Yeah, making the BBC a subscriber station probably would solve our problems, but they would never do that...

Well my mum wrote them a letter explaining it and if they show up demanding to see my room, Im to show the TV and tell them how I cant get a signal to watch any TV.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF
    What. Get a loan/grant, you can bloody well afford one.

Not that there's any grounds for MAKING you, of course, it's BS, but yeah, it's not that much.
    And you know my financial situation do you? Most of my loan has gone on my halls rent, it was a grand. Whats left is for food and travel. Im tyring my best to get a job and Im refusing to get an overdraft with my bank. I know people with overdrafts and Im not going to bother with one. Push comes to shove, Im sure my mum will get the money sorted if they are still determined for me to have one.