Thread: Fun and Subjobs

Default Fun and Subjobs

Fun is a very subjective issue. This game really only allows you to play within the confines of community acceptance. Some would say to have fun they would play it their way and use less acceptable job combinations. However, can they really have fun if they sit around for days with their flag up looking for an invite?

There is generally reasons that specific job combinations are acceptable. Some are good and some are pretty bad. Most often job combos are acceptable because they've been tried and proven to be the optimal usage of job and subjob. There are many mage/melee and melee/mage combos that are just not very viable because they offer nothing in combination except for situational use. (i.e. SMN/NIN is worthless in most situations, but with SMN/NIN and BLM/NIN my wife and I duo Mission 2-3 for people often)

However, the other big reason certain combos are acceptable is because people aren't open minded enough to see the actual benefits of a combination vs the most common combinations.

WAR/DRG is actually a great combo from 20-30 if you do not plan to tank. /DRG is great for a lot of 2 handed weapon users period. If you aren't planning to tank there's little need to /WAR or /MNK and almost no reason to /NIN (especially pre-50). However, people will very much laugh at you for /DRG.

Another example is NIN/BLM 51+. NIN is a potentialliy incredible DD with the ability to eat hits when the pull hate, but no NIN is allowed to try this.

I think people should be somewhat open to new combinations, but it also seems dangerous to suggest to inexperienced players that there are any job combos outside the box. Having PT'd with a good number of RDM/THFs and RDM/NINs (using swords or daggers instead of clubs) I definitely see the danger.

So what is fun? Is playing an acceptable combo fun while getting invites, or is playing a slightly off combination (for better or worse) fun while getting less invites?

Should we encourage people to try other viable subs or is it too dangerous due to the misunderstandings and inevitable bad combos?

Well, I think /DRG is one awesome subjob for uses with 2-handed weapons. I see a few (very few actually) SAM/DRG's around a few levels, and it just is pretty cool in general. You have Jump to gain TP as well as Meditate (not sure how accurate Jump is as a subjob, but I'm assuming it's fine). Not to mention the extra stats you get from it.

PLD/BLU is pretty fun as well! I haven't tried tanking for anything big, but it's still fun. =)

PLD/THF is really fun with capped Staff skill. SATA Retribution can easily get up to 1,000-1,200 damage on an DC-EM (level 75). Haven't tried it on anything above that.

Though, I bet none of these would be accepted in most parties. I'd rather just go with what the party wants and get exp -- I can still have fun even if it's not the subjob I really want to play. I usually use the subjob I like the best, when I'm doing things with friends. They are more accepting, and it's very fun.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

Ive followed the common and actually havent tried a lesser used sub for a job...

may give it go.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

I haven't tried any lesser-used subs in party situations before. I probably would have given DRK/DRG or DRK/RNG a try back when my DRK was in the 20-30 range (long, long time ago), but neither of those subs were leveled for it anyway.

I recently leveled NIN to 30 to sub on my RDM, but that's purely for social purposes, although I did get an invite when I was running around as RDM/NIN yesterday.

Honestly, I'd rather get parties with subs that are optimal for my main than wait around trying to get a party with something like RDM/WAR or RDM/THF. The only sparsely used RDM sub I think I'd ever try in an exp. party would be RDM/BLU, but, as I understand it, that combination, like RDM/NIN, is mainly for solo purposes.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I partied with a WAR/BRD at level 50 once because there were no other refreshers online. It worked pretty well.

I don't have much room to try new combos because I don't have that many jobs leveled.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

ballsballsballs of steel Jimsour's Avatar

I've used odd subs before for parties, but I knew most people in the party and they thought it might be fun.

G.Citadel - Lv 30s, WAR/DRK, found it quite strong and I even tanked with it, worked well in my opinion and everyone agreed.

Crawlers Nest and Kuftal Tunnel (different levels) DRK/BLM - this was actually because I forgot to change my sub, but It wasnt nearly as bad as people make it out. It does not compare to WAR obviously, but my Absorbs resisted less and elemental seal was extremely helpful when we pulled links. Not somthing I would use often though, unless for fun.

RDM/THF - G.Citadel basement. We had a second RDM, so I decided to melee a bit, and Sneak Attack was interesting, that along with buffs and etc, it was fun, but I wouldnt use it again tbh.

DRK/RNG - Used this for skilling up my marksmanship while trioing.
    I'm a big fan of the Mars Bar Diet; You don't eat the Mars bar, you stick it up your arse and let a rottweiler chase you home.

Bst/blu is pretty neat, for solo'in that is

I like the vit-down, stoneskin and cocoon.
    Its just fun to play around with i think ...

Also Whm/Brd was kinda cool (did that in a pt a couple of times) i love Army's Paeon II to start with and that gives me plenty of time to enfeeb and buff if it wears. Enfeebs from /Brd don't really stick but regen on everyone is kinda neat to play around with or maybe Sheepfoe Mambo for evasion, or Sword Madrigal for attack acc. or maybe even Herb Pastoral plus Barpoison ^.^
    But this isn't a really great sub due to only bein' able to cast one buff on your party and poor chance of landing an enfeeb. But fun to try rather than the regulation Whm/Blm

Ummmm i think thats all i can think of atm ... will ponder a bit more and leave more ramblin'
    Chuck Noblet: Can anyone tell me the tragic irony of the Trojan War? Tina? Tina: Um, that horses are friendly creatures yet a hollow, wooden one was used to destroy Troy? Chuck Noblet: Wrong and no. Anyone else? Chip? Chip: That the mighty warrior Achilles was killed by a small cut to his ankle. Chuck Noblet: Chip is wronger. OK, here it is. The tragic irony of the Trojan War is that though it was fought over Helen, who was young and beautiful, by the time they rescued her ten years later, she was old and ugly. Tina: But wasn't recovering the king's wife reward enough for the Greeks? Chuck Noblet: Tina, an ugly woman is never a reward.