Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Staying True to the Game

Hmmmmm... Isn't it technically illegal? I mean, if it is, it's one of those laws that people often overlook and even the "victims" don't really care, but technically isn't it illegal? I mean, what would happen if I got an emulator and a rom for it just so I can play the NES version since we'll never get it here? Like, how would I get caught, and what would happen if I did?
    SELF PROMOTING SIG

Click here to hear a few of my songs.

Yes, it is technically illegal. I don't know how you would get caught, or what would happen to you... but it is illegal.
    When life gives you a cactus, hug it. When life gives you lemons, throw them back at life and say, "Lemons? Who ever heard of hugging lemons? give me a cactus!

Renial.tripod.com/: A budding Legend of Mana site

Blog Entries

If you just want to try the ROM, it is legal to keep the ROM for 24 hours, and after that, it becomes illegal if it is still on the computer. Nobody ever really gets caught anyway, especially for NES games.

I wouldn't trust that personally, I heard somewhere that its just a rumor... I dunno... in any case, the game is 16 years old. I seriously doubt that Square would have issues with someone downloading... oh, I mean Square-Enix... if they were still Square, maybe...

I use emulators myself, but the newest game I have is Super Smash Bros 1, which is 9 years old, and I only got it because my smash disappeared, which seriously sucks... in any case, if you want to try the rom, yes, it is in fact illegal, and I think the only way its legal is if you ripped it yourself as a backup. However, the chances that anyone cares are quite limited. That may change when the Wii comes out with its thing about playing old games. I would still get the remake even when I already have the game, simply because I want the upgraded graphics and total awesomeness of it being on the DS. If I found Super Smash Bros anywhere I'd probably buy it if it was reasonably priced.

Anyway... the way I see it, if anyone bugged me about it to get rid of them, I'd do it, but it probably won't happen. Until then, just don't get any PS2 or X-Box 360 games and you should be fine.
    The project that was awesome, has fallen apart... oh well.

With the Wii, you still have to pay to access those games, thus making it legal, where downloading things without paying for them will still be illegal. It's like with music: Downloading it without paying for it is just robbing the artist/creator.
    When life gives you a cactus, hug it. When life gives you lemons, throw them back at life and say, "Lemons? Who ever heard of hugging lemons? give me a cactus!

Renial.tripod.com/: A budding Legend of Mana site

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've heard from many of the people who've played the game (on the dreadful Gamefaqs boards...) that the game is in fact a bit easier. You have to level up more, but leveling up is quite easy. We'll just have to wait and see if their words hold any merit.

The evil emulation patrol robots won't storm your home and destroy your computer because you wanted to play FFIII.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Genji View Post
    If you just want to try the ROM, it is legal to keep the ROM for 24 hours, and after that, it becomes illegal if it is still on the computer.
    That's totally false, actually. The people who run ROM sites just say it to make themselves appear legitimate.

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zeromus_X View Post
    I've heard from many of the people who've played the game (on the dreadful Gamefaqs boards...) that the game is in fact a bit easier. You have to level up more, but leveling up is quite easy. We'll just have to wait and see if their words hold any merit.

The evil emulation patrol robots won't storm your home and destroy your computer because you wanted to play FFIII.
    From what I've seen, it seems the bosses are harder, not easier. They can attack several times during a turn now rather than just attacking once during a turn. I saw bosses using spells on the party and then following up with physical attacks on the same turn, and (SPOILER)the Iron Giant attacked like five times in a turn.
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

Quote Originally Posted by Angi-Kaiser View Post
    With the Wii, you still have to pay to access those games, thus making it legal, where downloading things without paying for them will still be illegal. It's like with music: Downloading it without paying for it is just robbing the artist/creator.
    However, in this case, if I were to legally purchase a Famicom and import FF3, I wouldn't be supporting the artist/creator because I wouldn't be buying it retail. I'd be buying it from some jerk on e-bay or something. So even if I went through all that, I'd still not be helping out Square or anything.

I may give it a shot. Now all I need to do is find some place where you're allowed to ask how the hell you go about getting an emulator and roms! I don't think you're allowed to ask questions like that here, so I'll take my question elsewhere.

But thanks for the info, guys. [/offtopic]
    SELF PROMOTING SIG

Click here to hear a few of my songs.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Genji View Post
    If you just want to try the ROM, it is legal to keep the ROM for 24 hours, and after that, it becomes illegal if it is still on the computer.
    That's totally false, actually. The people who run ROM sites just say it to make themselves appear legitimate.
    I'm totally busting L-Factor now. Thanks for that, Kishi.

Am I allowed to send it to you over email? I have it and an emulator, and they're together like, less than a megabyte. But remember, emulators and roms can be very addicting. When you're done, you might want to hide it in your computer somewhere just so you don't get tempted to get more roms for it.

edit: Oh, and yes its translated, so you don't need to know Japanese. Though knowing Japanese never hurt anyone... heh... my sig probably says complete gibberish... but its from a first year student of the language...
    The project that was awesome, has fallen apart... oh well.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth1999AD
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeromus_X

From what I've seen, it seems the bosses are harder, not easier. They can attack several times during a turn now rather than just attacking once during a turn. I saw bosses using spells on the party and then following up with physical attacks on the same turn, and (SPOILER)the Iron Giant attacked like five times in a turn.
    It also seems like the Bard has gained teh l337 haxing skillz. 0_o;

Reno's my man! <3 Fire_Emblem776's Avatar

Well FF XII was leaked a few weeks ago, so their are ways to get them :rolleyes2

Quote Originally Posted by feioncastor View Post
    Hey, if anyone feels up to answering, how did you all play the game? Do you live Japan, or did you import a system and cart or did you play a rom of it, or what? All this talk about it makes me wanna play the NES version first, but I don't think I'm comfortable using an emulator, even if it was legal.

So, is there anyone who will share how they got to play it?

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I played the NeoDemiforce fan-translated ROM of the Famicom version on FCEUltra.

I only check into the FFIIIDS boards on Gamefaqs now and then to catch up on any information, as there are many people there who have played the Japanese version of FFIIIDS.

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zeromus_X View Post
    It also seems like the Bard has gained teh l337 haxing skillz. 0_o;
    Well, it's better than having a totally spoony and useless class. (SPOILER)Garuda was defeated very quickly in that fight, even with a party that had most of its characters on low HP. Is the boss really that easy, was the player overleveled or was that just the last few turns of the fight (i.e. not the whole boss fight)?
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi